Turn on thread page Beta

Trump & Brexit is what happens when you smear all who disagree as racist watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    I think you misquoted. I don't think Newton's third law applies here, I've tried drawing a force diagram and everything. Perhaps you meant to type this Newton quote instead?

"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."

And perhaps this quote from Shakespeare would be more apt?

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

And whilst we're on the subject of quotes, perhaps you're doing those two guys a huge disservice to use their life's works to try to lend credibility to a man who comes out with such gems as:

“You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.”

and not to forget

"Grab 'em by the pussy."
    Well said but he is right in placing at least some of the blame on the left's discourse. This does not mean Trump is anything other than an abhorrent, weak bully, he's just the rational outcome of the polarisation of an indulgent left and a resentful right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Trying to control your borders is not racist, claiming hordes of rapists and murderers are coming over is.

He is a huge hurdle to honest conversation, not a beacon of hope. A Frankenstein's monster created by both left and right.
    Well, if you talk about Trump's remarks about Mexicans, not his policies, then I agree he is a nativist.
    However, why exclude the 'racists' in an honest conversation? Races exist and some 'racist' comments are clearly legitimate and honest. When political correctness denies them into conversations, they go underground. If you disagree with Trump's remarks, then pose counterarguments and reliable statistics against it, not just screaming 'that's racist!' and dismiss him completely. That's part of the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Well said but he is right in placing at least some of the blame on the left's discourse. This does not mean Trump is anything other than an abhorrent, weak bully, he's just the rational outcome of the polarisation of an indulgent left and a resentful right.
    I get that, but I'm not sure what exactly you would like the left to do? It seems to me it would come across as patronising to actually try and explain to grown adults why it might be nice to try and show an ounce of compassion and humanity to others, even if they happen to be born in a different country or have different coloured skin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Your OP, I have already stated multiple times why it is logically flawed and what effect it does have.

Your inability to see that in the first place and now refusal to accept what I said, is more than enough evidence.

Yes maybe I am patronizing. But I think you are playing the victim card. You said something, I said that's wrong and you immediately feel patronized again.

Not really my fault if so many people come up with so many wrong things.
    You would have to weild some power for me to feel like a victim. Highlighting your initial response as smug was entirely an appropriate response and not "Accepting what I said" shows you to be exactly the type of narcisstiic bully I was referring to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rek'Sa)
    Well, if you talk about Trump's remarks about Mexicans, not his policies, then I agree he is a nativist.
    However, why exclude the 'racists' in an honest conversation? Races exist and some 'racist' comments are clearly legitimate and honest. When political correctness denies them into conversations, they go underground. If you disagree with Trump's remarks, then pose counterarguments and reliable statistics against it, not just screaming 'that's racist!' and dismiss him completely. That's part of the problem.
    I completely agree but most don't read the data or inform themselves. Unless you can force a population to do so, leaders must be careful with their rhetoric. He was anything but.

That isn't to say all that voted for him were also racist and if the supposedly educated left have only that to fall back on, Trump is only the beginning of this horror show.

ReputationRep:
    "....because both you and Duke vote for Trump"

Let's zoom in further

"YOU and Duke vote for Trump"

"YOU - vote - Trump"

But feel free to retort that with lols Bertrand Russel
    You might want to zoom earlier in the sentence where I said "I DIDN'T SAY that..."

Dishonest prick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    I get that, but I'm not sure what exactly you would like the left to do? It seems to me it would come across as patronising to actually try and explain to grown adults why it might be nice to try and show an ounce of compassion and humanity to others, even if they happen to be born in a different country or have different coloured skin.
    Simply stop labelling all concerns of the white working classes, amongst others, as racism. That does not prohibit us calling out genuine bigotry. We (The left) cried wolf too many times and engaged in the most nauseating bullying. Until we address this, we have no chance of pushing back against wannabe tyrants, opportunists and overt bigots. All of which Trump is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TastelessGum)
    You might want to zoom earlier in the sentence where I said "I DIDN'T SAY that..."

Dishonest prick.
    You said you didn't say that after saying that you mean?

Poopoo head.

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't it's what happens when the racists get pissed off by various socio economic issues and don't educate themselves and vote in anger and through bigoted ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    You would have to weild some power for me to feel like a victim. Highlighting your initial response as smug was entirely an appropriate response and not "Accepting what I said" shows you to be exactly the type of narcisstiic bully I was referring to.
    I am not a bully I am not narcissistic.

I am just tired of lies - over 90% of what Trump has said, fact checkers found it to be total bs.

So yes, your refusal to admit that you were wrong, has nothing to do with me being narcissistic, just with you being ignorant, biased, prejudiced and unable to construct a proper argument based on logic rather than opinion.

ReputationRep:
    what will this be replaced by?
    The pendulum of politics will continue to swing away from neoliberal/Blairite perception management towards Faragism/Corbynism e.g. authenticity and directless > spin and woolliness

I have little hope the left can engage in genuine self-awareness at this point in history and the rise of the far right is truly frightening
    Things will have to get worse before they get better. In the case of Trump, thank God he has people like Pence around him, I don't see things getting too grisly for migrants unless minority groups themselves create trouble

In the case of European politics, the chances are we will see appalling developments on the continent, however, due to the intellectual immovability of the left, yes, and the very real possibility of: A) BME populations misbehaving; B) Indigenous communities taking direct action against them, in the absence of sufficiently responsible/robust leadership

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    Just because your decision was held by a majority doesn't make it right. It doesn't validate the opinion, and make racism acceptable, it just means there's a lot of work still to do.
    Everyone is racist. You are yourself. It is human nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    The pendulum of politics will continue to swing away from neoliberal/Blairite perception management towards Faragism/Corbynism e.g. authenticity and directless > spin and woolliness

Things will have to get worse before they get better. In the case of Trump, thank God he has people like Pence around him, I don't see things getting too grisly for migrants unless minority groups themselves create trouble

In the case of European politics, the chances are we will see appalling developments on the continent, however, due to the intellectual immovability of the left, yes, and the very real possibility of: A) BME populations misbehaving; B) Indigenous communities taking direct action against them, in the absence of sufficiently responsible/robust leadership
    There is no rise of the far right in this country. Maybe in France or Italy - but it's been up and down there for years. The extremism that is undeniably on the rise is the far left, which is provable and has a track record of violence and destruction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    Everyone is racist. You are yourself. It is human nature.
    If we all just slaves to our basic human nature, why the **** to we bother having societies and communities and all this other ****?

Here's an idea for some of the people who votedfor Trump/Brexit/whatever the next alt-right wet dream is: if you dont want to be called a racist, sexist homophobe stop being racist, sexist and homophobic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    No it isn't it's what happens when the racists get pissed off by various socio economic issues and don't educate themselves and vote in anger and through bigoted ignorance.
    Yeah, bloody poor people, it's as if they think they're entitled to opinions on topics that affect them.

ReputationRep:
    When presented with counter-arguements, shouting 'racist' louder or building bigger placards does not end with the opinion going away. It will only hardens the stance and ferments further resentment.

Trump and Corbyn are what happens when your all you have is a nauseating masochism that shuts down conversation. Trump is as much a product of the left as he is the right.

http://thesatedire.com/news/world-ne...gger-placards/
    Completely agree. He is 100% the product of the left and the hilarious thing is they dont understand it. If you ever contributed to the loony SJW left narrative, you created Trump, Brexit, Le Pen*?

So hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    I am not a bully I am not narcissistic.

I am just tired of lies - over 90% of what Trump has said, fact checkers found it to be total bs.

So yes, your refusal to admit that you were wrong, has nothing to do with me being narcissistic, just with you being ignorant, biased, prejudiced and unable to construct a proper argument based on logic rather than opinion.

Here's a fact for you, I don't support Trump, never said I did, never even eluded supporting him, but don't let that get in the way of your righteous indignation.

I hate Trump, I hate the fact that he is in power. I know he's a liar, the figure is actually around 70%, and I am utterly depressed by the result. The difference between you and I is that I am seeking solutions, not doubling down and shouting racism at anyone who disagrees.

But that's me, all illogical and prejudiced and that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Completely agree. He is 100% the product of the left and the hilarious thing is they dont understand it. If you ever contributed to the loony SJW left narrative, you created Trump, Brexit, Le Pen*?

So hilarious
    I wholly agree, apart fromt he fact it isn't funny. Still, there's always alcohol and anti-depressants.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, bloody poor people, it's as if they think they're entitled to opinions on topics that affect them.
    I didn't say anything about poor people thank you very much! I said uneducated bigots two very different things i.e. people who don't understand the issues and vote with their gut and on the basis of him opening is big fat gob and coming out with sexist/racist things they probably resonate with whilst discarding any of the real issues and not looking into his policy on those because why would they when he said he wants to get rid of all the muslims and they hate the bloody muslims and the mexicans well they hate them too so he's said these thing must = man after my own heart... except when he pulls all the state welfare they receive or doesn't bother to help social care problems/poverty etc, then they're like ughhhh so racist doesn't = good person willing to fight for our rights as trailer trash? No sweetie it means he'll be fighting for the rights of big corps that don't give two shits about you, but you can still sit at home and be racist if you like he'll never take that away from you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

I am working on the premis that Trump is the only man standing between Pence and the presidency. He's even more of a problem. It would be ironic if a fundamentallist got the presidency off the back of a transparently padnering atheist.

I fear for Europe greatly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.