Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    Does anyone know the debts of other countries in Europe so we can make a comparison.
    You dont mean the other countries you mean the citizens of the other countries, the two are completely different

ReputationRep:
    Okay just let people in Africa die, then we (10% of the population) can rake in 100% of resources instead of a feeble 90%.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the debts of other countries in Europe so we can make a comparison.
    Isn't the city of Berlin in a ridiculous amount of debt, due to overspending on public projects (rather than consumer debt)?

ReputationRep:
    Okay just let people in Africa die, then we (10% of the population) can rake in 100% of resources instead of a feeble 90%.
    You need to go and read an economcs book or something cos the argument you are tryign to make is actually a perfectly respectable one but the way in which you are making the argument is far from succent

African nations are in more debt than us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    In terms of national debt we have the second largest national debt in the world, however relative to GDP these countries are more indebted

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to read economics and I don't want to go in for an intellectual debate, I just want the article to be read.

ReputationRep:
    You fail to have a grasp of economics.

ReputationRep:
    Piginapoke do you live on this website?
    11666 posts is an immense number.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to read economics and I don't want to go in for an intellectual debate, I just want the article to be read.
    Then making an uneducated ascertation (sp?) in your original post which you then tried to back up was ill advised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I haven't got any debts apart from my electric bill which I haven't paid yet. I don't like paying interest to people. I'd rather do without than get something on credit.
    no mortgage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack2004)
    Then making an uneducated ascertation (sp?) in your original post which you then tried to back up was ill advised
    Indeed. Almost dangerous to say things like "let all africans die.." then refuse to acknowledge the economics of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Did have but paid it off with inheritance money.
    Very astute, piggy

Most people spend inheritance on holidays/alcohol but paying off debts is best in the long run

I've just thought of the perfect solution to all our problems. Let's chop up widowmaker, turn him into cat food, and then use the profit to feed some kid in Africa.

I get his Halo game for the PC.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Nope. Did have but paid it off with inheritance money.
    lucky bugger - I'd be sorted money wise if the mortgage was paid off (and when this bloody payrise finally comes through - I don't care if it's backdated I want it now)

ReputationRep:
    I've just thought of the perfect solution to all our problems. Let's chop up widowmaker, turn him into cat food, and then use the profit to feed some kid in Africa.

I get his Halo game for the PC.
    Bagsie his financially thrifty mother

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion, society in general is too greedy and wants everything 'now' with the exception of houses (becuase the only realistic way of getting one is to have a mortgage) people are not prepared to wait for anything, not prepared to save up- they want it there and then. they are also not prepared to accept that they can't afford something- so they end up buying on credit or taking out a loan to buy something, rather than buying something less expensive, waiting and saving for something, or just not buying it at all.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Very true ruthie - I want solar panels installed on my house now (well within the next few months) I don't want to wait the 5yrs or so it would take to save up the money for them while still paying for and using national grid electricity...so onto the mortgage it goes....

ReputationRep:
    the USA has debt which represents over 60% of its GDP. It's one of the countries with the most debt.
    Another country with serious debt problems is France with a similar percentage.

Most African countries actually have less debt than these 2 countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Very true ruthie - I want solar panels installed on my house now (well within the next few months) I don't want to wait the 5yrs or so it would take to save up the money for them while still paying for and using national grid electricity...so onto the mortgage it goes....
    But I'm guessing this will save you money in the long run. If they pay for themselves in 5 years, it would surely be worth going into debt for?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.