Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna)
    well, i dont want to go into this again, but thats a non-issue. the scope of the moderator position would cover all efforts pertaining to moderation of this forum.
    To be fair conducting polls by Private Message - especially when you can only put 5 names in the "To" bit, is not in the job description, and goes beyond the scope of the role - it's only due to the desire to make things easier that we choose at suitable times to put some time aside for what is a time consuming process.

Moderation is simpy the job of keeping the board tidy and free (not guarenteed 100%) of offensive posting - anything else you get is a bonus when it's people that take on the job as a matter of choice, and any previous bonuses shouldn't be looked upon as "standard", whether they worked well or not.

It's all probably down again to the standards that UKL has set itself over the last year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    To be fair conducting polls by Private Message - especially when you can only put 5 names in the "To" bit, is not in the job description, and goes beyond the scope of the role - it's only due to the desire to make things easier that we choose at suitable times to put some time aside for what is a time consuming process.

Moderation is simpy the job of keeping the board tidy and free (not guarenteed 100%) of offensive posting - anything else you get is a bonus when it's people that take on the job as a matter of choice, and any previous bonuses shouldn't be looked upon as "standard", whether they worked well or not.

It's all probably down again to the standards that UKL has set itself over the last year...
    would you refuse d's request to conduct a fair poll, to elect a new moderator in aiding moderation of the forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Side Issue:

is Vienna really Vienna95? if the IPs match, could someone have broken into her house and be accessing her account and using foreign tools such as 'smilies'. would be greatful if moderators could look into this.
    cute

ReputationRep:
    no, democratic would mean an outcome determined by fair and equal representation of members accounts on the forum.
    Why does she contradict everything that someone else says?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obliviator)
    Why does she contradict everything that someone else says?
    hehe, i have this nasty habit of pointing out corrections in terminology, forgive me.

can i add you to the list of obsessives now or shall i wait until you PM later?

ReputationRep:
    hehe, i have this nasty habit of pointing out corrections in terminology, forgive me.

can i add you to the list of obsessives now or shall i wait until you PM later?
    List of what obsessives, and who am I supposed to PM?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to make it known that I have not voted for anyone! As there is no option for "I'm happy with the current modship" I felt I should register my opinion on the thread.

ReputationRep:
    would you refuse d's request to conduct a fair poll, to elect a new moderator in aiding moderation of the forum?
    If d wanted to PM out voting cards, allocate certain letters ranges of the alphabet to each mod AND administrator, gaves us extra Inbox space and about 4 weeks to count by hand the votes coming in then I'd probably accept it; if it meant staying on all day to count votes then I wouldn't - by all means set deadlines etc but life goes on around us.

Alternatively d can continue appointing moderators of his own choosing - saves the hassel

ReputationRep:
    forget it. i take it im not in the running for your vote then?

ReputationRep:
    considering the poll asks "who would you rather see as mod?", it sort of dispels any "i'm happy with..." answers by asking for a preference on a set group of people. otherwise there is an option not to vote.
    No, "rather" implies I'd like to replace one or more of the mod team. This is not true in my case and I thought I should express this! I wouldn't want people to assume I wanted a coup now would I.

ReputationRep:
    Side Issue:

is Vienna really Vienna95? if the IPs match, could someone have broken into her house and be accessing her account and using foreign tools such as 'smilies'. would be greatful if moderators could look into this.
    Vienna is certainly more cherpier than normal; but no she's still the argumentative one that she was as Vienna95 - just that she leaves you more concerned about the smilees now, distracting you from the argument, which gives her the chance to pounce on any lack of concise definition in responses - it still is, as it always has been, a "Vienna wins" set of circumstances, with no end in sight for her dominance! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    it still is, as it always has been, a "Vienna wins" set of circumstances, with no end in sight for her dominance! :cool:
    hmm, do explain...

ReputationRep:
    forget it. i take it im not in the running for your vote then?
    That would be a pretty safe assumption from what I'm seeing.

ReputationRep:

The line of the evening would be delivered whilst I'm scrabbling around in the freezer for ice cream. *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    it would only implicate such if it mentioned a specific moderator.
    We will have to have an amicable disagreement on this then. I will choose to interpret it how I want.

ReputationRep:
    i hope the niceness is not in the name of vote canvassing, this isn't the conservative party conference.
    *blatantly fake gasp* but this is only an opinion poll, its not democratic!!!! besides, im too late for that

ReputationRep:
    That would be a pretty safe assumption from what I'm seeing.
    hehe, i just didnt know whether being the subject of 50% of your posts was favourable.

ReputationRep:
    albeit not the correct interpretation..
    hmm, another like minded member.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, do explain...
    *Pounce* - just an illustrative example of how quick you are.... and if I were trying to make a serious argument out of the point (which I wasn't), then unless a member now, dug him self out of the hole, covered it up with top soil and made sure that no one else knew it had been dug it in the first place, then the pressure would be on said member, with you on the high ground.

Not that this is a game of scoring points or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Dajo123 should become a Mod, as he is quite new and so can better understand the needs of the billions of newbies who join the UKL world every day

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.