Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafzal)
    They can win hearts and minds by installing power stations and clean water to the Afghan people far quicker than footballs made by Chinese children for pennies.
    Well actually they're doing both - and they'd do it a damn sight faster if the religious fanatics that get a kick out of complaining about pointless flotsam such as this were wiped out an ideological and military force. Standing up to them on this issue could constitute a very good prelude in the former fight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    It was a friggin' flag!? How were the US soldiers supposed to know that the flag contained a verse of the Koran?
    Your saying that US soldiers organised this and not someone from US Administration or a top army official?

Yeah it was a flag, i agree. But the content on it is what people have payed attention to. Well, why couldn't they? If they could go through the flags of the world and cut out the ones of Iran, Syria etc etc and then when they looked at Saudia Arabia did they not think "hmm, I wonder what that pretty little writing means?" "oh never mind, just send it off anyway". If thats the case, thats ignorance on the American part.

ReputationRep:
    How were the US soldiers supposed to know that the flag contained a verse of the Koran?
    Everyone knows that. Or that's what I thought till this debate began.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell, imagine how offended they must have been when the Saudi flag flew over the White House.

(Or did nobody tell them that they had to be offended then)

ReputationRep:
    If thats the case, thats ignorance on the American part.
    What flags are on those footballs, which countries should that ball not be used in?

Answers on a postcard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.9.8.4.)
    Everyone knows that. Or that's what I thought till this debate began.
    Well you're very wrong. Most people don't have a clue what it is.

Your saying that US soldiers organised this and not someone from US Administration or a top army official?

Yeah it was a flag, i agree. But the content on it is what people have payed attention to. Well, why couldn't they? If they could go through the flags of the world and cut out the ones of Iran, Syria etc etc and then when they looked at Saudia Arabia did they not think "hmm, I wonder what that pretty little writing means?" "oh never mind, just send it off anyway". If thats the case, thats ignorance on the American part.
    First up if it was an Olympic football for Beijing 08 then probably no one looked at it to censor the flags. But more importantly is that I doubt anyone studied what the actual flags looked like before including them. Unless you know otherwise why would you expect a flag to contain a verse of the Koran? Can you imagine a Christian country putting a verse of the Bible on their flag? The idea almost certainly never crossed anyone's mind that this could be offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    ****ing hell, imagine how offended they must have been when the Saudi flag flew over the White House.

(Or did nobody tell them that they had to be offended then)
    lol. It wasn't being kicked around in mud and dirt. It was flying high and proud. There's a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Above the HQ of the great satan...

ReputationRep:

First up if it was an Olympic football for Beijing 08 then probably no one looked at it to censor the flags. But more importantly is that I doubt anyone studied what the actual flags looked like before including them. Unless you know otherwise why would you expect a flag to contain a verse of the Koran? Can you imagine a Christian country putting a verse of the Bible on their flag? The idea almost certainly never crossed anyone's mind that this could be offensive.
    Fair enough. It's ignorance on whoever designed it though.

ReputationRep:
    lol. It wasn't being kicked around in mud and dirt. It was flying high and proud. There's a difference.
    Imo, the Saudi's are incredibly stupid for putting a Koranic verse on a flag in the first place. Flags are symbols not scripture and they get used in places where it would certainly be deemed inappropriate to place Koranic verses.

I think the US did nothing wrong as they are bound to make mistakes when dealing with cultures and religions they know little about.

ReputationRep:
    It was a flag. How many people would think that a flag has religious significance?
    They didn't just buy these balls from Toys R Us you know. They must have gone through a concept, design and production process. It's a pity they didn't think to ask their community relations people as part of that...

ReputationRep:
    If there was a flag with Christ or the Crucifix I can only imagine a similar response.
    Mohammed's (pbuh) face wasn't on the ball nor was any symbol of Islam. If there was a football which quoted a small passage from the Bible which was part of a country's flag [such as the latin writing seen in a courtroom] which itself was part of a ball's small decoration, I can quite safely say that most moderate Christians wouldn't be arsed. Most wouldn't protest against it. I think Uni's right, it's largely political. They are just trying to portray America in a bad light. They could have simply kept the ball rather than play with it: what use is a protest? The Americans made an honest mistake; there's no need to scream about it and make it political - it just conveys Islam as fanatical and generally in a bad light. The Qur'an doesn't justify your quarrel either.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. It's ignorance on whoever designed it though.
    Ignorance in the sense that they didn't know something, yes. But not ignorance in the sense that they really should have known it.

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty sad.

ReputationRep:
    Ignorance in the sense that they didn't know something, yes. But not ignorance in the sense that they really should have known it.
    Ignorant in both senses actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    They didn't just buy these balls from Toys R Us you know. They must have gone through a concept, design and production process. It's a pity they didn't think to ask their community relations people as part of that...
    But why would they think that there is anything to ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Above the HQ of the great satan...
    meh, I'm bored. Lets just agree, this is another trivial example of political correctness but there should have been greater consultations on the design of the ball and whether anyone considered if putting a flag which bared the one sentence that all Muslims must confide to would offend people or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.9.8.4.)
    Ignorant in both senses actually.
    I disagree. You are obviously of a higher intelligence than most people and more knowledgable so you expect too much.

ReputationRep:
    But why would they think that there is anything to ask?
    If your making a toy for a child, wouldn't you do your research and ask them what sort of toy they want/the colour/style etc etc. I see not exception in this case. If they were going to do this job, they might as well had done it good and proper.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't we in the West accept and embrace the War on Terror for what it is and should be: a proxy war on Islamic backwardness and aggression. I'm sure a more concerted and ultimately more successful offensive might then be realised.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.