Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by T kay)
    now i think a private school isn't as bad as this?
    See my posts earlier in this thread...

ReputationRep:
    B!tch please

it makes all the difference....kk, well not xactly....but there is soo much support.....the down side is, you have to do well, cuz then Uni's will question ur results....and u HAVE to do xtra cirrucular activities....cuz then Unis will say u had all that oppurtunity, and u didnt take it....

I mean, If a 'run-of-the-mill' school student has 8A* and 2A's, and he's competing for a seat, 1 on 1, direct competition, with me, then i'm screwed, cuz I go to a snobbish, tie wearing, black shoes only, no white socks (wtf?!?), we dont play football, we got inaugurated by King Edward, we get amazing grades type of school (where btw, 19 ppl have got 10A*, and 15 ppl have got 9,1, where 27 Top Candidiate awards were given out)....so, ye, i will be screwed, cuz a guy with even less that half of what 'I have' got the same grades as me....I mean, in many ways, I feel like I have failed....its stupid, but my grades just dont compare....and if sum1 who goes to a school where it doesnt matter if u turn up or not, gets the same grades, then im ****ed...and you know it....

So it does make all the difference....just not in our favour....although tbh, i'll be damned on the day when a 'run-of-the-mill' student gets all A*...of course there are noticeable exceptions, eg ppl on this thread who r gonna blaze my comments, bit generally speakin....

ReputationRep:
    I managed 6A*s, 2As, 2Bs and a C, and go to a state school. My C was in drama where I had 6 teachers so was basically screwed and I know at least 5 people who got 8A*s. Half my GCSEs I basically just taught myself with my textbook or whatever, because loads of our teachers are students or just out of college and are crap. Plus loads of them you can blag - e.g. stats which I didn't revise at all and got A*!

ReputationRep:
    Well done ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    Some people are just good at something and other people are just good at everything. I had to self-teach Chemistry because my teacher in year 11 was a complete flake. I go to a non-selective private international school in Malaysia; there aren't any entrance exams, just placement ones. Though most of the teachers are very good. For me, it makes a difference what the teacher's like. It shouldn't, but it does.

ReputationRep:
    holla, you've got a problem with the world man, i go to an excellant private school with much of the same academic standard and if my history's right is actually older than yours, in any case 8a*s is stupidly good, whatever way you look at it, i have family in pretty much every profession you could consider and pretty much all of them say what i've got my pic on unis and i got the same as you although i got my 2 as in maths and german for some reason, you can only go as far as your mind lets you and statistically we're in the top 3% of the country, admittedly around 40% of the guys who take gcses don't even get 5 a-c grades so that puts things in perspective, as soon as you start saying that it's hard for you to do well, you're automatically assuming defeat, it's pathetic at best and at worst can mean the differance between potential being realised or not, i have a feeling there's a bit of attention seeking with your extraordinarily high standards and quite self assured cynical and elitist stance to your future, remember the world owes you nothing, just cheer up and sort yourself out if need be.

ReputationRep:
    look man....were both asian...so we know how this bitach here works! You wanna know what my parents said when I got my results? 'What happend to the 2A's, Yusuf?'. 'Why not all A*?'....man it just pisses me off....but the worst part is that 19 ppl in my school got 10A*, 15 ppl got 9,1 and 27 Top Candidadte awards were given out....and I didnt get any of that! I got 8A* 2A's, and was beaten by lyk a quarter of my school! Thats just not funny!

I used to pray everynight to get 6,4 cuz i thought that would be good....but with 8,2 i've still only managed to come 35th out of 120 odd people....3%? Im sure it is, but it just feels more like 30%....

and besides, the world we are competing has pretty much all A*....inshallah, me and u are not gonna become plumbers or postmen....right? (no offence)

We are not competing with the world that can barely scrap 5A-c's....

and nyway, 3% of 1 million people = 30,000 people!!

look at this...:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/news/congratulations.php

:puke:

swallow that....

sorry if im so anoying...but i am depressed....

ReputationRep:
    I went to and still go to a shabby, crappy normal state high school. I got 7 A*s and 4 As.

ReputationRep:
    ah the age old state vs private school debate.
    I went to a state comprehensive school in a so called 'deprived' area of the country and ended up getting 11A*s and 2 As and a few people did get similar results.

ReputationRep:
    wow

u have already beaten me....oh well....thats life....

Hey...Lykabelle, did you do Maths Stats? Is that more relevant than Mechanics (for Eco?)...or anything for that matter...unless of course you wanna do physics or eingeneering....

??

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, some people on here are complaining about the same kind of problems they had in private school as others did in state school - if it was so bad, then why pay out god knows how much a year? Why not just go to a bog-standard state school if the problems are so bad and its only up to the individual? Because staying on at a bad private school is just a waste of money really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holla_at_ya)
    wow

u have already beaten me....oh well....thats life....

Hey...Lykabelle, did you do Maths Stats? Is that more relevant than Mechanics (for Eco?)...or anything for that matter...unless of course you wanna do physics or eingeneering....

??
    Hey,
    I wasn't given a choice when it came to which modules I took for A level Maths. I took C1, C2 and M1 to AS level Maths then C3, C4 and S1 for A2Maths. I would have liked to have taken S2 Maths since that would have been more relevant to my Economics degree since eco is very much based on statistics. However unis don't really look at the modules you've taken as long as you get the grades and they should teach you all you need to know once you get there, it might take a little longer to grasp some concepts in uni if others have done it already.

ReputationRep:
    cool

thnx

ReputationRep:
    look man....were both asian...so we know how this bitach here works! You wanna know what my parents said when I got my results? 'What happend to the 2A's, Yusuf?'. 'Why not all A*?'
    Haha, I can just imagine that, but to be honest, my parents would be like that as well I guess But yeah, achieving the same grade in a **** school would mean your grades look better - you've done really well despite having **** teachers and no textbooks etc...so it looks like you put more work in yourself. That probably does mean they're more motivated or cleverer than you are.

and besides, the world we are competing has pretty much all A*....inshallah, me and u are not gonna become plumbers or postmen....right? (no offence)
    Actually, I hear plumbers earn an awful lot

and nyway, 3% of 1 million people = 30,000 people!!
    And your point is what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    my point is 30,000 people have got A*'s....so it means jack all now....thats my point....

Im guessing there about 2,500 with all A*.....where does that put me?

And i didnt know you could do a degree in plumbing? Its an important job, no doubt, and their value will have defo risen in light of the floods of last month, but its not well paid job, and in some ways, quite derogatory....besdies, anything 'hands-on' is a blue collar job....or white (?)....Damn it, which way round is it...?

lol

ReputationRep:
    You wanna know what my parents said when I got my results? 'What happend to the 2A's, Yusuf?'. 'Why not all A*?'.....
    Ha ha ha thats exactly what my grandparents said. I guess all asians think the same way :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Im guessing there about 2,500 with all A*.....where does that put me?
    Er...It puts you above the 970k other people doing GCSEs? :p:

And i didnt know you could do a degree in plumbing? Its an important job, no doubt, and their value will have defo risen in light of the floods of last month, but its not well paid job, and in some ways, quite derogatory....besdies, anything 'hands-on' is a blue collar job....or white (?)....Damn it, which way round is it...?
    I'm pretty sure it's not a degree as such (I know this girl who's learning to become a plumber) but you'd be surprised at what kind of degrees you CAN do...Like wine tasting or something And I'm pretty sure plumbers do actually earn a lot more than some white collar jobs (White collars = shirts = the office ones :p:) Just think how expensive they are - £££s just to call them out or something :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zygroth)
    I'm pretty sure it's not a degree as such (I know this girl who's learning to become a plumber) but you'd be surprised at what kind of degrees you CAN do...Like wine tasting or something And I'm pretty sure plumbers do actually earn a lot more than some white collar jobs (White collars = shirts = the office ones :p:) Just think how expensive they are - £££s just to call them out or something :O
    Yeah some plumbers make brilliant businessmen. Some of them secure contacts with massive companies and eventhough they may have started out as the average plumber, being a brilliant businessman with good social skills helped he/she to become rich. Not all plumbers are idiots. Academia is just one way of being rich. Some of the richest people in the world never succeeded in the world of academia but when coming out of school, they find ways to big money. This isn't apparent with the average joe though and usually a one in a million thing.

Would I be right in saying that you want to be a doctor or a lawyer or something like that? That is apparent with most asians. Barely anyone is like me and end up wanting to do a Maths degree. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician. Funny?)
    Would I be right in saying that you want to be a doctor or a lawyer or something like that? That is apparent with most asians. Barely anyone is like me and end up wanting to do a Maths degree. lol
    :rolleyes: You should look at my A level choices :P For medicine, I would need to do Biology, and for law, I think I need something like English or History or something :P I was actually looking into Maths @ Cambridge, though I'm not so sure now if something at LSE is better :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 A*s, 5 A's and 2 B's (ok so not all A*s!) and I went to a state school. I think it's down to the individual really, you get out what you put in. Yes, good teaching helps but I think the main reason private schools do better is probably because on average the students work harder as their parents are paying for their education and there is more pressure to do well.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.