Turn on thread page Beta

Official Doom 3 hardware guide. watch

ReputationRep:
    hell is amazing

ReputationRep:
    how long does it take to get there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    Just read a hardware guide published by Id for Doom 3. 512mb video card recommended/needed to run in the highest setting! Does anyone even have 512mb video card?!

You can read the full hardware guide here.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

Yep, seen it played on one. My friend nicked doom3 and the card (they had to put a big faan next to the computer) from his work at a computer magazine before the UK release. He's already completed it

MB

ReputationRep:
    Got it about 2 hours ago. Hasn't spooked me yet though. I have to play it on the lowest settings on my XP2400+, 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM and GeForce FX5200 128MB but it runs fine on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    how long does it take to get there?
    about 11 hours on veteran mode

ReputationRep:
    i just got to delta sector

ReputationRep:
    I got the game on friday, probably about half way through.

Wierd thing happened. I was running it on the high settting, at 1024x768 with 2x AA and it was running perfectly. Constant high fps, no slow-downs at all. It would occasionally cut/ crash to desktop because I needed to update my graphics card drivers, as I was using the same ones that came with the card 9 months ago.

I got the official catalyst drivers from ATI.com, but after updating Ive had to turn it down to the medium setting with 0 AA, because it was unplayable at my original setting. Annoying...

ReputationRep:
    ATi have released some special beta divers designed to give a performance boost in the game - they seem to work well. Nab them here: http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html. I'm running high quality 10x7 with 2xAA and the only twinge of slowdown I've seen is when fighting the Hell Guardian. My PC should definiately be able to handle better quality (3.2GHz, 1GB DDR 3200, 9800XT 256MB), but I'm a little wary of upping it to ultra (and my hella-old monitor can't deal with res' greater than 10x7 very well, need a new one - donations anyone ) - because like quite a few Radeon owners out there I've had to underclock my card - otherwise I get a bonus snowy effect. It's only 10MHz so nothing too major, but I shouldn't really have had to at all. Apparently the problem is that on some Radeon boards (depends on manufacturer), the cooling isn't quite adequate. The fact that the game uses transisitors that have never been used before shows up the lack of hardware testing from ATi ...

Anyway, I've just met up with Elliot Swann after Hell, that's how far through I am ... I think I have the flashlight on more than a weapon - don't like those dark corners ...!

ReputationRep:
    do the people look weird (sort of split down the middle) with anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    My Specs:

1800 XP Athlon
    512 DDR RAM
    Geforce FX5950 128MB DDR

The game runs smoothly on normal settings.

The game itself is creepy, especially when your fighting in pitch black, armed only with a flashlight and some shabb pistol, I must admit, it is the first game in years that I have quit after 10 minutes casue its feckin creepy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    My Specs:

1800 XP Athlon
    512 DDR RAM
    Geforce FX5950 128MB DDR

The game runs smoothly on normal settings.

The game itself is creepy, especially when your fighting in pitch black, armed only with a flashlight and some shabb pistol, I must admit, it is the first game in years that I have quit after 10 minutes casue its feckin creepy.
    Yeh, it was friggin scary at first, but after a while you get used to it and its not as scary

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, class game, not got to hell yet though, just sent some transmission and come across some rocket firing mofos.

The only really creepy part of the game so far are some womans voice you hear now and again, creeeeepy.

ReputationRep:
    You've got quite a long way to go before you get to hell ... speaking of the transmission, does anyone know if the game's story is particularly different if you transmit or cancel the transmission? I saved before I decided, so will go back to that and cancel it rather than send it after I complete my current game.

Did anyone else find Sarge really easy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karatesasquatch)
    You've got quite a long way to go before you get to hell ... speaking of the transmission, does anyone know if the game's story is particularly different if you transmit or cancel the transmission? I saved before I decided, so will go back to that and cancel it rather than send it after I complete my current game.

Did anyone else find Sarge really easy?
    Yeah, I was wondering that too, but didn't want to ask incase of any spoilers.

ReputationRep:
    Been having a solid session of Doom today to keep my mind off tomorrow. Cool game n'all but it's really easy to pick faults with it. You can't knock the graphics but the enemy AI is really really piss poor, killing is a complete no-brainer. Why couldn't they let the grunts use grenades (as seen in the x year old Half life) to spice it up a bit. Oh yeah, the grenades SUCK, amputees could probably throw a grenade further than this dude. Anyone else hate the crappy spiders/skulls?

ReputationRep:
    it runs acceptably on my XP 3200+, 512MB, radeon 9800 pro at 1280x1024 medium detail

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind the spiders - just stand back and pump them with the pistol. The skulls are annoying, but the worst are the baby things that leap about 300 yards and scratch your face off. Called Cherubs, I think. The big floating ball things with teeth and that shoot those exploding fireballs are damn annoying too. Two rockets!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karatesasquatch)
    I don't mind the spiders - just stand back and pump them with the pistol. The skulls are annoying, but the worst are the baby things that leap about 300 yards and scratch your face off. Called Cherubs, I think. The big floating ball things with teeth and that shoot those exploding fireballs are damn annoying too. Two rockets!
    i havent used any rockets yet, saving them up

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of scary ... http://www.aopy22.dsl.pipex.com/alpha.wmv

ReputationRep:
    Well, I just finished the game on the medium difficulty setting, and I can honestly say that it was one of the best, most enjoyable games I've played in a long time. As I'm sure you're all aware, the graphics are stunning, and after a small problem with some distortion on my Radeon 9800XT (now appears to be fixed in the 4.8 Catalyst drivers though), the game ran beautifully at a pretty much constant framerate. I only noticed slowdown on the large open arena populated by the Hell Guardian, when he was romping around. Indoors, the textures are intricately detailed, although on a few rare occasions I did notice some blurring when you got up close. Generally, the bump mapped, per pixel lit surfaces are a true sight to behold. While what little you saw of Mars itself was nice, I think it would have made the game more interesting and varied to see some more of the outdoors. Although having said that, I think the whole collect-the-oxygen-tanks thing would have got tedious quickly. The character animation is very good, although one of the main character's slightly boxy head shows that some models could have done with a little more polygons perhaps?

The atmosphere created by this game was incredibly immersive. I really felt "sucked in" to it - and was often scared by the dark corners and strobe lighting effects! Truly lives up to it's horror genre placement, if you ask me. The special effects and set pieces are good too. You'll see shadows crawling across distant surfaces, monsters on the other side of everything-proof glass, bodies and bricks moved and thrown about by invisble forces just at the wrong moments - like when you're in a dark ventilation shaft! Walls move, ceilings crumble and metal floors fall out from your feet. Excellent, nerve-shattering stuff.

The sound was excellent too. I didn't miss an in-game soundtrack, and the sound effects certainly added to the entire immersive experience. The creepy laughs, growling imps, rapid tick-tick of the spiders really left me thinking "oh **** ... it's coming round that corner ..." on many occasions. Very creepy. I played the game with headphones on, as I don't think standard desktop stereo speakers do it justice. I'm sure a good 5.1 surround sound system would be good, but I don't have one so don't really care.

The gameplay and AI let the side down a little - the typically repetitive age-old first-person-shooter gameplay was not thwarted - there's plenty of "Get to this door realise it's locked so go get the key from that body then get back to the door" going on; however I was never bored partaking in these tasks. There is variation, but the underlying goal is almost always to retrieve a key of some kind. I guess this type of thing is inherent in the genre, so I'm not sure there's a lot they could've done, really. The PDAs were a nice addition and provided a good means for storytelling, although I thought that the video disks were rather redundant. "Puzzles", if they can be called that, are very straightforward, and usually simply involve a set of switches that must be pressed in the right order, or clever jump timing. The AI, while not dismal, seemed very rudimentary. I know you are fighting hell spawn so they aren't likely to be super intelligent, but something a little better than just running at you claws-out would've been nice. However, there are times when even some of the easier enemies will take you by surprise - especially the zombies. Often when you're fighting some head-on, there'll be one or two who sneak up behind you out of the shadows and smack the back of your head with a wrench or the back of their hands. The difficulty of the game, while fairly well balanced sometimes seemed to lean a little on the easy side. I think that it may have been intentional, so that you are kept on your toes but not constantly thinking how unfair the game is leaving you with 10% health and just your fists with a Hell Knight to vaporise. I thought that the "bosses" in the game were lovely in terms of special effects and graphics, but their predictable AI and simple attack patterns made them, in my opnion, too easy. I only died once during a boss fight - and that was at the end of the game - not by the boss but by falling off a ledge. Speaking of which, I felt the final boss was a particular anti-climax. I was expecting there to be at least two stages to him, the size he was!

I was satisfied with the length of the game - there are lots of levels to explore - and you will want to explore. For my first go and taking my time through, the game took me about a week to finish, playing a few hours every day or two. All in all about 15-20 hours I guess. If you race through, I would think you could finish it in a weekend.

Weapons wise, there's a nice selection on offer. I found the plasma rifle and shotgun to be the most useful. The chainsaw had a lovely sound, but is less powerful than the shotgun at close range and so I thought got left by the wayside a little, as you won't run out of ammo - especially shells. It would have been more useful to get it nearer the start of the game. Disregarding the fists, the weapon I probably used least was the BFG9000. I don't know why really, it just seemed as easy to use the other weapons I guess. You don't often see more than three or four enemies at once, so the multi-damage effect isn't all that helpful; plus the big enemies where it would be very more don't really appear in the game until later when you have the soul cube. The soul cube is very, very powerful, perhaps too much so. I don't want to spoil it as U1 is something worth discovering and playing with for yourself, so I'll just say this: I think that doing both the things it does takes a real load off the latter part of the game in terms of difficulty, and so maybe it should have had it's functions stripped a little...

But anyway, that's just what I think. Overall a great gaming experience, and repeatable. I'm going to go back and play a little more from the point near the start when you can either cancel or send the transmission and see if and how much the story is affected by your choice. Then maybe give Nightmare mode a shot ... god dammit, I'm so sad.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.