Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I told my doctor I exercise at the gym 3 times a week for 1.5 hours and he said that might be too much exercise for me because it can stop your periods! I don't think mine ceasing has anything to do with that because girls I know and girls on here do A LOT of exercise and still have periods. I didn't even tell him about the dvd workout I do too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    I told my doctor I exercise at the gym 3 times a week for 1.5 hours and he said that might be too much exercise for me because it can stop your periods! I don't think mine ceasing has anything to do with that because girls I know and girls on here do A LOT of exercise and still have periods. I didn't even tell him about the dvd workout I do too.
    lol

excess exercise and too much on an empty stomach stopped my periods, trust me girls isn't worth it,won't be the same again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilian)
    excess exercise and too much on an empty stomach stopped my periods, trust me girls isn't worth it,won't be the same again
    3 times a week for 1.5 hours as she suggested will NOT stop your periods.

What workout caused your periods to stop Lils?

Everyday practically some form of exercise about 2 hours or more at the gym on an empty stomach usually and then no food after until lunch or dinner depending on when I went. I ususally ate 3 or 4 hours before or the night before. It was fine before but I just pushed my body to the limits. I also used to walk ridiculously long distances on top of this sometimes after these mega workouts(like up to 6 miles). I used to sometimes also jog in the evenings. I mean at the time it felt great but I shoulda at least been eating 2000 cals of good food a day but it was more in the range of 1200 if that.

ReputationRep:
    Thats ridiculously bad for you..... no wonder your periods stopped!

So do we have a conclusion about exercising on an empty stomach yet??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InaSpin)
    Thats ridiculously bad for you..... no wonder your periods stopped!

So do we have a conclusion about exercising on an empty stomach yet??!
    There is no proven conclusion, and to be honest it's not worth worrying about; if there was a significant difference then the answer would be easier to find. I'd say if you can get up and exercise on an empty stomach then it's worth a go to see the results there's not much to lose if it is false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sziphix)
    There is no proven conclusion, and to be honest it's not worth worrying about; if there was a significant difference then the answer would be easier to find. I'd say if you can get up and exercise on an empty stomach then it's worth a go to see the results there's not much to lose if it is false.
    Low intensity exercise (fast walk) is fine. For high intensity exercise (sprints, weights) you should always have some sort of food beforehand to take full advantage of the effects it has on the bodys fuel usage..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meathead1987)
    Low intensity exercise (fast walk) is fine. For high intensity exercise (sprints, weights) you should always have some sort of food beforehand to take full advantage of the effects it has on the bodys fuel usage..
    Yeah, I agree with you there, but I just meant for burning fat, which is the aerobic stuff.

ReputationRep:
    HIIT is considered 'intense' but there are tonnes of articles advising to do it on an empty stomach for maximum benefit.

ReputationRep:
    surely this contradicts einsteins theory of E=MC^2? i mean how can eating at different times equal a different amount of energy burned for the same exertion? i can understand reasons for putting less stress on the body but i dont understand how you can burn more fat through it,

ReputationRep:
    This link was posted earlier. Its all debateable. Whatever works for you I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dac_10)
    surely this contradicts einsteins theory of E=MC^2? i mean how can eating at different times equal a different amount of energy burned for the same exertion? i can understand reasons for putting less stress on the body but i dont understand how you can burn more fat through it,
    normally people (mis)reference the laws of thermodynamics in this kind of situation, not E=MC^2....

And its quite conceivable that eating the same total calories and performing the same exertion is far from the only factors affecting what happens to the body that day. Even if total energy spent is the same (it needn't be) then there's myriad other reasons why the two situations would lead to different results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    HIIT is considered 'intense' but there are tonnes of articles advising to do it on an empty stomach for maximum benefit.
    Well those articles are wrong

HIIT is anareobic training, which uses predominantly carbs for fuel not fat. If you havent eaten anything before performing it then the body must 1st use up stored glycogen in the muscles, then start getting carbs from somewhere else. Since the body will always use the most energy efficiant mechanism to get carbs it then goes on to break down muscle.

One of the biggest advantages of HIIT is that it increases the sensitivity of the muscles to carbs (to be specific it upregulates muscular glut-4 receptors) so carbs consumed around the HIIT session will more likely be stored in the muscle or used by the muscles for fuel.

Hope that all made sense.

Dac: You are right in the respect that the overall ENERGY loss will be no different but doing low intensity exercise on an empty stomach 1st thing in the morning will use fat predominantly as a fuel source.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer exercising v early in the day but I would still eat like a banana 30 mins before hand so I don't feel weak and my stomach grumbling loudly half way through on the treadmill! I don't exercise every single day but I do walk places but that would hardly make a girl's periods stop. Exercising intensely everyday for like 2/3 hours could cause periods to stop, not 5 times a week for 1 hour or so. Its what I need to stay an 8/10 at 5'9" so I wouldn't really do anymore

EDIT: I do HIIT, but after 20-30 mins running on the treadmill at 9.5kph, would that help in burning fat rather than carbs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    ha ha. I did 5 hours today.

pussies
    my god u loony!!!

i sometimes go on mega long bikerides that last that long... but they leave me knackered cream crackered... there is absolutely no way i could casually do 5 hours here and there...

hehehehe aslong as it makes you happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    I prefer exercising v early in the day but I would still eat like a banana 30 mins before hand so I don't feel weak and my stomach grumbling loudly half way through on the treadmill! I don't exercise every single day but I do walk places but that would hardly make a girl's periods stop. Exercising intensely everyday for like 2/3 hours could cause periods to stop, not 5 times a week for 1 hour or so. Its what I need to stay an 8/10 at 5'9" so I wouldn't really do anymore

EDIT: I do HIIT, but after 20-30 mins running on the treadmill at 9.5kph, would that help in burning fat rather than carbs?
    Do it the other way round, HIIT, rest 5mins and stretch, then low intsnsity for 20-30mins. Not gonna explain why, just trust me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meathead1987)
    Not gonna explain why, just trust me
    That's how a tyranny begins

ReputationRep:
    I must admt that I've been exercising on an empty stomach for ages now and I can't remember the last period I had.

Then again, I do find that if I'm not wearing briefs, jogging does make my balls ache!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.