Turn on thread page Beta

Guitar players challenge watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    i'll whip anyones arse at a muse song i tells ya - don't ask me to do distortion effects though cos i aint got any
    thats gonna sound so dodgy without effects

ReputationRep:
    no, trust me, most of it sounds good - Plug in baby is fine without it, so is most of bliss, and most of newborn. All the songs are indeed recognisable, they just sound slightly off.
    Give us one to play and i'll play some of it for ya

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    no, trust me, most of it sounds good - Plug in baby is fine without it, so is most of bliss, and most of newborn. All the songs are indeed recognisable, they just sound slightly off.
    Give us one to play and i'll play some of it for ya
    sure try bliss, i can't get it to sound right without a little overdrive and some delay on it.

ReputationRep:
    ok here is bliss

please note, there are no effects apart from the overdrive from the amp. This is on a fender squier (yuck) and i cut to the chorus early for demonstration purposes.

I also play the song as it is played live (with the whammybar)

Any comments greatly appriciated (i know i made a few stupid mistakes in there, but i'm being lazy this evening)
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: mp3 bliss.mp3 (936.4 KB, 82 views)

ReputationRep:
    anyone...at all?

ReputationRep:
    sorry the topic moved just downloading it

ReputationRep:
    yeah sounds good, although you've missed a few strokes in the main part of the song but yeah sounds good

ReputationRep:
    *dances*

my proudest moment was when i was playing new born, i finished, went down stairs, and my brother says "I heard you listening to muse there" and i say "i wasn't listening, I was playing it"

To be mistaken for the real thing, that's something with muse!

ReputationRep:
    i'll post my effort of bliss when i get my mic back, using a bit of delay on it, see how it differs.

ReputationRep:
    Heres my version of solo in Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (backing guitar and all!)
    Low quality due to compression. Any comments welcome
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: mp3 NEMSolo.mp3 (117.6 KB, 66 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Heres my version of solo in Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (backing guitar and all!)
    Low quality due to compression. Any comments welcome
    not bad at all. I really like that. Got a nice clean solo going on there with a near 100% precision as of the album version .

I've uploaded my unplugged acoustic version of Nothing Else Matters. Bare in mind it's VERY compressed and my guitar only worths £30!

Here's a step to step break down of what im doing in that song:
    1) Intro with my own little 'harmoniced' opened strings
    2) Quick version of each verse along with that harmoniced effect on me acoustic
    3) then a solo that's in a different key to the album version (as it's a struggle to reach high notes on this acoustic guitar)
    4) strummed chorus
    5) lol, then just a mess around (not at all related to the song)
    6) finishes with a nice verse

Any opinions or reps appreciated. My harmonics sounds terrible in this recording and compression, but trust me live it's really nice! Try it out yerself.

I haven't forgotten about Master Of Puppets, I have done some of it but unfortunately when recording it, I get very different results from my speakers than what I have done live. Compressing it, makes the sound basically disappear completely, I need some better software than 'Sound Recorder' and 'AMP music converter' perhaps. Unless I get a better sound from the compression and recording of Master Of Puppets, it will be postponed
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: mp3 1.mp3 (819.9 KB, 73 views)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    Yours was good too - where did you get the tab/sheet music for the verse/chorus of it? I liked the mess around hehe .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Thanks!
    Yours was good too - where did you get the tab/sheet music for the verse/chorus of it? I liked the mess around hehe .
    I worked out the whole song with my guitar teacher ages ago. But luckily I still remembered most of it. You can probably get the tab online try google, but i dont really recommend tabs online coz they are usually not very accurate, unless the song is very simple.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a drummer, not a guitarist, but here's "When you fall" by my band. It does have a guitar solo in it somewhere. This was recorded nearly a year ago now, but I still really like it!

Click "stream hi" or "stream lo"

If you listen to it, please listen all of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I'm a drummer, not a guitarist, but here's "When you fall" by my band. It does have a guitar solo in it somewhere. This was recorded nearly a year ago now, but I still really like it!

Click "stream hi" or "stream lo"

If you listen to it, please listen all of it!
    i listened to all of it. Not bad.

Good points: good rhythm, perfect timing and co-ordination, pretty original, and neat solo
    Bad points: the chorus sounded a bit cliche, and the solo was too quiet

Overall: good song, nice sorta 'lone ranger' feel. 7/10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    i listened to all of it. Not bad.

Good points: good rhythm, perfect timing and co-ordination, pretty original, and neat solo
    Bad points: the chorus sounded a bit cliche, and the solo was too quiet

Overall: good song, nice sorta 'lone ranger' feel. 7/10
    Cheers. We've moved on a bit since then, it was almost a year ago.

ReputationRep:
    I worked out the whole song with my guitar teacher ages ago. But luckily I still remembered most of it. You can probably get the tab online try google, but i dont really recommend tabs online coz they are usually not very accurate, unless the song is very simple.
    Are you finger picking in nothing else matters? It sounds like youre using a pick to me...and lots of breaks which are pretty annoying - also, get to point me to the tab youre using for this song? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Are you finger picking in nothing else matters? It sounds like youre using a pick to me...and lots of breaks which are pretty annoying - also, get to point me to the tab youre using for this song? Cheers
    lol, I am obviously finger-picking - you have to for that song....you cannot use a pick for that. Listen to it again at some points u have to pluck 3 notes at the same time, and only fingers can do that. The compressed sound quality may have made it sound less good I suppose.

The breaks are caused by my harmonics on fret 12 then jumping back to fret 3, which is a variation to the album version, which I quite like coz Ive played it live before and the crowd loved it (baring in mind I had drummers etc in a full band). But i aint played the song in a while

I did not use a tab, I remembered it from when me and my guitar teacher worked it out together. A song like that is very very hard to forget once u had mastered it.

ReputationRep:
    www.powertabs.net

It's notation time.

BTW - pretty nice playing all round, but...relax. It sounds like all your hands are made from wood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    www.powertabs.net

It's notation time.

BTW - pretty nice playing all round, but...relax. It sounds like all your hands are made from wood
    hehe it's hard recording on my *****y PC, I just kept get frustrated with the mic falling off the table, cutting off sound etc.

Shall we move onto a new song soon?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.