Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well its yo to you...besides predictions are always optimostic...

ReputationRep:
    yeh, to be honest a good prediction only delays the problem till later, but in the end, it's the result they want to see, so even if i have the most amazing predictions in the world they will be useless if i don't get them,
    so no way i'm i thinking ive already got an offer because the "battles" only just beginning.

ReputationRep:
    Well You'd better start actually working haven't you? (I apologise if you're going through hard times) But realisticlly I don't think routine ups and downs are going to be acceptable, unless you are unfortuneate enough to suffer incompacitating illness or bereavement right in the middle of exams....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Well You'd better start actually working haven't you? (I apologise if you're going through hard times) But realisticlly I don't think routine ups and downs are going to be acceptable, unless you are unfortuneate enough to suffer incompacitating illness or bereavement right in the middle of exams....
    way ahead of you, besides ups and downs are random and unavoidable and yes it is unfortunate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mulan_nasil)
    way ahead of you, besides ups and downs are random and unavoidable and yes it is unfortunate
    Now turn that determination into work - the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    :ditto:

Graduate entry medicine is a lot more competitive than undergraduate entry, but at least you've got more time to perform to the best of your ability, and less stress for this next year.
    Finally! Someone who is actually positive about Graduate entry medicine!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_emme_x)
    Finally! Someone who is actually positive about Graduate entry medicine!!
    That would be a first.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this seems out of the blue but I was told that if anyone wants to apply to do medicine at university then they are not allowed to retake any modules otherwise they'll be classed as a "resit" applicant. I looked at UCL's site and they apparently do not accept any "resit" applicants.

Have I got my wires mixed up or are we actually allowed to retake modules and still have a chance of getting into a good university? Will they find out if you've opted to retake any?

I'm in Year 12 and I've basically got the first module of each subject to get through in January and I'm really not that optimistic about Chemistry at all.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible, but you will need resits, and a hell of a performance in A2 year, as A2s are quite a bit harder.

ReputationRep:
    :dito: u can do any number of resits so long as you do it within year 12 and year 13

u are only classed as a resit candidate if u repeat a whole year eg. do year 12 twice or do year 13 twice, or if you finish year 12 and year 13 and still decide to resit after those 2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Sorry if this seems out of the blue but I was told that if anyone wants to apply to do medicine at university then they are not allowed to retake any modules otherwise they'll be classed as a "resit" applicant. I looked at UCL's site and they apparently do not accept any "resit" applicants.

Have I got my wires mixed up or are we actually allowed to retake modules and still have a chance of getting into a good university? Will they find out if you've opted to retake any?

I'm in Year 12 and I've basically got the first module of each subject to get through in January and I'm really not that optimistic about Chemistry at all.
    You were misinformed.

You can resit as many modules as you like as long as you complete your A-levels within the 2 year norm. When I say as many as you like, I'm quite sure it's only 2 times on a non-Edexcel board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Supposing you did some work for yourself...oh I forget, they would truely take effort.

Thats a bit harsh, very un-wangers like lol . I know MN personally and am in the same class, and have to say that that was very true...or if it wasnt talking about dogs, it was about straightening curly hair lol :rolleyes:

But, back to the OPs question. I know you can do it. See how things go this yr, if it is not what you are hoping for, you can always re-apply with known grades and take a gap yr.

The OP everytime I see them at school is working. The grades that they got do not reflect their ability at all. I only hope that the admissions tutors read MN's PS, because it just shows their amazing capacity for understanding and communication.

Good luck xxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkbuzzybee)
    if yur serious about medicine, i would just re take the whole of yr 12 again
    NO. do not retake a whole year, you are gona make even more mess as you will be finishing a-level chemistry in 3 years. You can do two things:

1. Ensure you get atleast grade B in chemistry : Retake all the CDC modules. (its perfectly fine if you retake ur modules and finish A-level chemistry within 2 years..no more than 2 years)

2. If you find it difficult to improve the grades of other subjects then Take a gap year and do a-levels in a different subject. But noway you can spend 3 years on any subject that u r doing currently.

ReputationRep:
    It would be helpful, if u could tell us about your grades on other subjects too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilentGirl)
    NO. do not retake a whole year, you are gona make even more mess as you will be finishing a-level chemistry in 3 years. You can do two things:

1. Ensure you get atleast grade B in chemistry : Retake all the CDC modules. (its perfectly fine if you retake ur modules and finish A-level chemistry within 2 years..no more than 2 years)

2. If you find it difficult to improve the grades of other subjects then Take a gap year and do a-levels in a different subject. But noway you can spend 3 years on any subject that u r doing currently.
    I'd second this.

And even if you even considered resitting a year, it'd be better off to do it after you've finished year 13, that way you'd actually know which modules went wrong and would only have to sit a few units, rather than ****ting yourself waiting for your results which still may not be upto scratch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    I'd second this.

And even if you even considered resitting a year, it'd be better off to do it after you've finished year 13, that way you'd actually know which modules went wrong and would only have to sit a few units, rather than ****ting yourself waiting for your results which still may not be upto scratch.

but then, when you are applying, you will find out that unis are not gona accept you just because you took three years for an alevel subject. trust me i have seen it all.

YOU SHOULD COMPLETE YOUR A_LEVLS BETWEEN YR 12 & 13 only. (2 years)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    but then, when you are applying, you will find out that unis are not gona accept you just because you took three years for an alevel subject. trust me i have seen it all.

what?? you've seen it all have you? maybe you should come study at my medical school and speak to some of the resitters that are students here too.

ReputationRep:

That's true.

Unless you've got mitigating circumstances, or are applying somewhere like BSMS or Peninsula. Or one of the med schools that take resitters on an AAA offer, which there are quite a few of.

Ideally one would not have to resit, but some people end up doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saskia-)
    Thats a bit harsh, very un-wangers like lol . I know MN personally and am in the same class, and have to say that that was very true...or if it wasnt talking about dogs, it was about straightening curly hair lol :rolleyes:

But, back to the OPs question. I know you can do it. See how things go this yr, if it is not what you are hoping for, you can always re-apply with known grades and take a gap yr.

The OP everytime I see them at school is working. The grades that they got do not reflect their ability at all. I only hope that the admissions tutors read MN's PS, because it just shows their amazing capacity for understanding and communication.

Good luck xxxxxxxx
    Hmm, I was probably a twee bit mean . Fair enough. Its not the amount of work you do - its about how you go about it, God knows I diddn't do much over the two years and I prayed for the last 2 weeks...

More seriously, target your weak point, look at markschemes and understand the material - its no good just regurgitating. (and not nearly as satisfying). Chin up and keep going. I lost my way a bit last year with some personal problems (basiclly couldn't be arsed to work for a while) I was getting Es for A2 mocks (chem) and not that much better in bio - this was Mayish - Not good. Lets just say its a miracle what a few weeks work can do If a lazy **** like me can manage AAA, then so can you.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I think we can forgive you this time

But back to the point, that's some good advice, working smart is sometimes better than working excessive amounts and not understanding exactly what you are learning.

This is going to sound unusual, but I find if you try to enjoy it, it makes it so much easier. Also I work a lot better under pressure...maybe that could work for you OP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 29, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.