Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItzyBitzyBella)
    So you're saying you're still annoyed with the process of clearing? As for my comment, pull that stick out of your arse and relax. It was a joke but totally lost on you, my little tightly wound anal spring.
    Oh well she was wrong, don't beat her over the head with it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would only bother me if the clearing student was being really arrogant, and complaining about the fact that they were stuck going to the uni that i'm going to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItzyBitzyBella)
    So you're saying you're still annoyed with the process of clearing? As for my comment, pull that stick out of your arse and relax. It was a joke but totally lost on you, my little tightly wound anal spring.
    Quality post ....

Who gives a flying ****[Moderator Edit] where you came from .. we all start the same (well apart from me who only has to do 6 months of a 3 yr degree) and we all finish the same hopefully ...

What a waste of space thread

ReputationRep:
    i think ur a snob!! they have just as much right to be there as anyone else. just beacuse it hasnt been there life long dream doesnt mean they shouldnt be there. if they have the abilites then let them be!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by subterfuge)
    I can see where the OP is coming from in a way. It can be a bit frustrating knowing that people could get onto the course with lower grades than the original course offer, without any weight given to their personal statement or interviews & things (Unless the applicant has applied to that university that year, their personal statement can't be viewed when considering whether to give them a place). I found it quite strange how easy it is to get onto my course through clearing (I was given an offer of ABC and got AAAA, but clearing required CCC, submit your grades & details and you can be offered a place) when i'd spent ages writing a personal statement and researching things.
    That's wrong. They can look it up online and can see all of your application. They just need your Clearing number

ReputationRep:
    clearing is great some of my friends missed their offer by 1 grade and they were soo passionate about there subject
    it just meant that they got another chance rather than not having the chance...because some people do muck up...and i think it makes it more equal..the course i want to do was in clearingg..doesnt bother me at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by podder)
    i think ur a snob!! they have just as much right to be there as anyone else. just beacuse it hasnt been there life long dream doesnt mean they shouldnt be there. if they have the abilites then let them be!
    I agree. Some people are so snobby. If your at Oxbridge then you have a reason to be proud and work hard, but the rest of us are lucky in that lower standards can still produce a good degree.

ReputationRep:
    Awwww look I got a warning now for using a word that sound like cook ....

Terrible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_world)
    There are lots of reasons why a person might have joined your university through clearing. They may be equally passionate about that particular subject but missed out on the grades to do it at another university, they're not necessarily there because of an impulsive, whim as you seem to be suggesting.
    Precisely. I'm certainly passionate about my subject despite being a dreaded clearing student I was originally going to Cambridge or York, but I was ill and missed my grades. I ended up going to UEA, a university I had applied to initially as well, through Clearing. If it hadn't been for Clearing, I would've had to wait around for a year to study a subject I was desperate to start studying straight away, because of my enthusiasm for it.

I think I can understand what the OP is saying - e.g. a friend of a friend who got onto my course through clearing got on with far less than the required A levels and despite never having considered doing Literature before, which I know annoyed some people. But clearing serves a really useful purpose for people like me, and others such as those who didn't think they would get good enough grades to study a subject they enjoyed then discover they have, etc.

ReputationRep:
    ohmigod
    how old are you? becuase you are acting like a small child.
    first what does it matter to you how other people got on the course, surley what matters is you.
    second i dont think most people go in through clearing because 'it sounded interesting'. they may not have got in to any places, or not liked the places, or not got the grades so have taken a subject they are very passionate about, just at a different uni. they may have worked just as hard as you, but messed up one exam, or had problem deciding what they really wanted to do. how can you judge people you have never met and dont know anything about?
    grow up, get a grip and take that chip off your shoulder

ReputationRep:
    There's no need to be rude to the OP if you disagree with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    There's no need to be rude to the OP if you disagree with them.
    Sorry to say but I agree .... if the OP asks a question that is going to upset some people then within reason they should accept the replies.

Creating divisions between groups of people stinks of Elitism ...

(wonders if I will get a warning for disagreeing :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    No one even cares what grades people have at uni let alone how they got on to the course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeedsLad)
    Sorry to say but I agree .... if the OP asks a question that is going to upset some people then within reason they should accept the replies.

Creating divisions between groups of people stinks of Elitism ...

(wonders if I will get a warning for disagreeing :rolleyes: )
    I don't care whether you disagree but if people do break the rules, which say do not be abusive to other members, and disregard what a mod tells them, then the thread will go bye bye and people will get warned.

I think the OP's view has been thoroughly debunked by a host of users, there is absolutely no need to be rude about it.

ReputationRep:
    Grins

ReputationRep:
    dnt really bother me. just think of it this way, you got better grades than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelv)
    dnt really bother me. just think of it this way, you got better grades than them.
    that is somewhat of an arrogant view isn't it? i got into warwick via clearing after leaving oxford and i got 4A's. Thats pretty hard to beat:P

but i hate the fact that clearing students are discriminated against - i felt so inferior having got into warwick via clearing...when i told people they were like 'oh' They probably thought i was a dumb ******.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Font)
    that is somewhat of an arrogant view isn't it? i got into warwick via clearing after leaving oxford and i got 4A's. Thats pretty hard to beat:P

but i hate the fact that clearing students are discriminated against - i felt so inferior having got into warwick via clearing...when i told people they were like 'oh' They probably thought i was a dumb ******.
    paras i was tryna comfort the OP ,didnt do a gd job it seems.

ReputationRep:
    Sighs .....

The Internet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Font)

why did you tell them you came through clearing?

that's really nasty to judge you on that..
    i bet there are loads of people that missed their 4/3 A's for oxbridge/london but then still did way better than most people..

why did you decide to leave oxford out of curiosity?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.