Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    for HMV at least that isn't true - http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/navigat...1&pPageID=1103
    "If you do not have one of the shown NUS swipe cards you will need a HMV Student card to avail of the discount. You can get a HMV Student Card from any HMV store in the UK or Ireland on presentation of valid student photo ID"

Top shop advertise their discounts as a STUDENT discount not an NUS card holder discount so therefore cannot refuse valid student ID.

Pizza Hut on the other hand do cover themselves legally so that they only offer the 20% discount to NUS card holders.

I agree however for Durham because so little money is given to the student union by the uni (it's split out between colleges instead) the affiliation fee is reasonable.

I only posted the link to provide a little balance to the thread

Oh and the College bars *aren't* SU bars...incidentally is the beer cheaper in in the college bars or in the student union (dunelm house IIRC)?
    Prices in the college bars vary, but they are cheaper than the SU by about 20p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Hmmm.. thanks for the many replies!

So I can sign up for the NUS and ISIC when I'm over at Durham yeh? Eeek..
    Every student in Durham is automatically a member of NUS and DSU. Come and talk to us at the DSU stand at the freshers' fair if you want more information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    This will be my last post in the Durham subforum on the relative merits of NUS, for more details, there may very well be a disaffiliation campaign come October.

The ideals of NUS are good, what it stands for is good. The current implementation is very poor though. I always used to support reform rather than starting from scratch. The problem is that to reform NUS, you would need to get a new constitution passed by 2 consecutive Annual conferences, where the factions would tear it to pieces. It has been tried, and it has failed. If people could convince me that reform is possible then I would support it fully.

DSU has similar aims to NUS, on a local scale, and I think overall it does a good job. You still get the politicians, but the structure is there to make the system work, in spite of who may be there.

A lot of NUS's problems would be solved by making it a charity. This has been proposed and defeated numerous times. As a charity they would be bound by law, to prevent them wasting time and money on things that don't affect students, and would get a hefty tax break as well. If NUS became a charity they would have taken the first step towards reforming themselves into something that works.

I want to see an effective, efficient national union. If NUS can become that then good. If not then one needs to be created, and NUS can be left to die away.
    We CANNOT let NUS die away. How else can students be represented on a national level? NUS has done so much in the past. The studebt boycott of Barclays for example caused the bank to withdraw their support for apartheid in South Africa. NUS is a very effective collective campaigning body, it always has been, and it will be for the forseeable future. I'm afraid I will be there to lead the "yes" campaign, if people launch one to dissaffiliate next year.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.