Turn on thread page Beta

USA about to declare war on Iran? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If the people who illegally occupy Palestinian land can have it? Why can’t Iran
    Do you seriously want an answer to that question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shujaat)
    Forget it!
    U.S after Iraq war is in no position to attack Iran.

Shia population will go wild in Iraq the moment first US bomb lands on Iranian soil.
    Hundreds of thousand of people (including me ) from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Labanon, Syria, India) will hit the U.S interests anywhere in possible reach.

Iran is not Iraq!!
    Iraq was run by a dictator!
    Current Islamic state of Iran is the will of their people (it is your problem if you have forgotten that the Islamic revolution was brought by the people of Iran after theuy famously kicked the US Backed Dictator).

Though I believe that Iran is not after Nuclear weapons, but what is the problem even if they are. They have never ever invaded or attacked anyone despite of being constantly threatened and attacked after the revolution.
    If the people who used it can have it! Why can’t Iran?

The days of European Imperialism are long over. American Imperialism is taking its last breath 
    Now whilst I indeed dislike US foreign policy and I agree that Iran is not seeking to develop nuclear weapons, nor has the capacity to do so even if it wished, it IS a totalitarian regime with deep hatred for Israel (perhaps justifiably but that's not the point) and giving them nuclear weapons would be a very bad idea indeed. Not that I trust several of the nations who already have nuclear weapons of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Do you seriously want an answer to that question?
    Why not?? this is a debate right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Not whilst I indeed dislike US foreign policy and I agree that Iran is not seeking to develop nuclear weapons, nor has the capacity to do so even if it wished, it IS a totalitarian regime with deep hatred for Israel (perhaps justifiably but that's not the point) and giving them nuclear weapons would be a very bad idea indeed. Not that I trust several of the nations who already have nuclear weapons of course.
    Yeah with that perspective I agree with you…the world should be free from Nuclear weapons…
    But in reality, unfortunately that won’t ever happen

ReputationRep:
    Why not?? this is a debate right?
    Don't worry, those kind of 'brush them off' replies are pretty common in D&D, and generally mean that the person doesn't actually have a decent reply.

ReputationRep:
    If the people who used it can have it! Why can’t Iran?
    America invented the atomic bomb, so it's their right to have it. They are currently the sole world superpower, and are far more trustworthy than Iran.

Israel is a small strip of land, surrounded by a whole lot of hostile neighbours - they pose no threat, as they would be overrun immediately if they used nuclear weapons, but they make a lovely deterrent.

On the other hand, we're talking about the country who arms and trains groups such as Hizbullah and Hamas, a country that is run by a Holocaust-denying former soldier, who wants Israel "Wiped off the map".

Iran has tried to build one secretly, as discovered in 2002, when the IAEA were told about the two facilities it had built without the IAEA's permission. Now, they build one publicly, masquerading it as a nuclear energy project. (And perhaps secretly, too.)

Of course, if Iran does get the bomb, then lots of the GCC countries will see it as their duty to protect themselves with nuclear arms, against their firebrand neighbour to the north. Middle East with nuclear tripwires. Yay.

What Iran needs is not the bomb, but a president who can actually run a country.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most of what you say but "America invented the atomic bomb, so it's their right to have it" is BS.

ReputationRep:
    One more step towards nuclear war.

ReputationRep:
    i doubt they're going to attack anytime soon or even striking out the nuclear reactors. if they took them out Iran now have the knowledge to build them much quicker this time if they wanted to, Iran could make matters worse in the Middle East via supporting groups even more in Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine and Afghanistan and Iran although have little oil themselves that they actually extract but can easily restict pipelines and drive up oil prices.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, those kind of 'brush them off' replies are pretty common in D&D, and generally mean that the person doesn't actually have a decent reply.
    While I have serious reservations about ForeverIsMyName, I think you should give Shujaat's post a good read before attacking the former TSRian.

Some people post such ludicrous comments that most sensible people do not have the incentive, time or energy to respond to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.9.8.4.)
    While I have serious reservations about ForeverIsMyName, I think you should give Shujaat's post a good read before attacking the former TSRian.

Some people post such ludicrous comments that most sensible people do not have the incentive, time or energy to respond to them.
    I have read it, and I commented on it. I think his views are understandable but short-sighted. Iran, however much we defend them, and however unlikely it is that they would actually develop nuclear weapons, are not the most stable country in the world and they certainly shouldn't be given nuclear weapons. That said, some of the nations who do have nuclear weapons are far more worrying than Iran.

ReputationRep:
    Now whilst I indeed dislike US foreign policy and I agree that Iran [.....] IS a totalitarian regime with deep hatred for Israel (perhaps justifiably but that's not the point) and giving them nuclear weapons would be a very bad idea indeed.
    Well, I'm not very well versed in Iranian politics but I was aware they do elect their president and the other ruling elite rule by popular consent. Admittedly it's not democracy but its by no means a totalitarian state on the level of, say, Iraq or Saudi Arabia.

And regardless of attitudes towards Israel, don't Israel have nuclear capability too? Iran nuclear weapon development will create a nuclear deterrent on both side - my only problem with Iran is it goes against the nuclear proliferation treaty (but then again Israel already has....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Well, I'm not very well versed in Iranian politics but I was aware they do elect their president and the other ruling elite rule by popular consent. Admittedly it's not democracy but its by no means a totalitarian state on the level of, say, Iraq or Saudi Arabia.

And regardless of attitudes towards Israel, don't Israel have nuclear capability too? Iran nuclear weapon development will create a nuclear deterrent on both side - my only problem with Iran is it goes against the nuclear proliferation treaty (but then again Israel already has....)
    I don't trust Israel with nuclear weapons any further than I can throw them, but unfortunately they already have them, and we have to accept that situation. I don't buy the argument that giving several nations nuclear weapons stabilises a region because of the 'deterrent'. No sane person would ever use nuclear weapons anyway, regardless of the enemy's ability or lack thereof to respond in kind (except in some extreme examples such as Hiroshima), thus giving the weapons to several people just increases the chance of some nutter actually doing it. I reiterate though, I do not believe that Iran intends to develop nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    Well, America could heavily bomb Iran without many American casualties could it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)

Iran is a member of the NPT, and its supposedly civilian nuclear energy project is allowed under the NPT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agamemnon)
    Well, America could heavily bomb Iran without many American casualties could it not?
    And then what do you do? Just wander off, job done? Sure, it could bomb Iran, but then it would get its armies in Afghanistan & Iraq massacred, while also losing any public or political support from the rest of the world.
    The Iranians possess an array of conventional weaponry able to hit Israel, too. It would not surprise me if they had have chemical and biological weapons stored somewhere as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agamemnon)
    And hundreds of thousands if not millions of Iranian civilian casualties. It would also trigger a declaration of war on every western nation with forces in the middle east, leading to an Iranian invasion of Iraq. America would also become isolated from world politics, and quite possibly viewed as a rogue state in the same way that Nazi Germany was. The fact is that the US has no legitimate reason to attack Iran whatsoever. Thus far they haven't even cooked up some story about 45 minutes to the destruction of the west. The closest they've got is this nonsense about Iran trying to build a nuclear bomb, despite the fact that Iran entirely lacks the ability to do so. Iran has a fairly brutal regime which abuses human rights, but then so does Texas. They certainly pose no threat to western sovereignty at present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wais)
    WW3? You mean Iran has many allies that have any significant power?
    -Syria/Hezbollah (Treaty that if Syria is attacked, Iran will help and vice versa). Hezbollah currently has the power to attack any part of Isreal with guided munitions.
    -China (So many Chinese interests in Iran, so much investment in Iran, China will get pissed off if the USA/Isreal trys to blow it up, and since China holds $900 billion in US bonds they can cripple their economy)
    -Russia (Only reason Russia is getting richer is because of gas and oil from Iran, which is boosting their economy and allowing them to expand in all areas - military and economically. When the USA tries to take over a majority of Russians oil/gas income - they'll also be pissed.
    -Iraqi/Afghani Insurgents Self explanatory.
    -etc..

On the other hand, we're talking about the country who arms and trains groups such as Hizbullah and Hamas
    And USA provides billions to Israel. You seem to be implying that arming these organizations is wrong, and that because they've been put in place to defend their land/area its also wrong?

a country that is run by a Holocaust-denying former soldier, who wants Israel "Wiped off the map"
    Show me the exact FARSI translation that shows he said that - that isnt from some zionist newspaper entity.

president who can actually run a country
    The president in Iran isnt a large part of running the country, but other entitys are, and their attributes.

Nothing is currently possible for USA & Israel to attack Iran using any method of force that would be successful - even so, there is massive consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fire Star)
    -Syria/Hezbollah
    -China
    -Russia
    -North Korea
    -Iraqi Insurgents
    -etc..
    China and Russia withdrew political support for Iran a whiles ago.

North Korea, although on close terms with Iran is sandwiched between the largest, and 6th largest armies in the world, while its army, although large, does not match China, the US, or South Korea in terms of the modernity of its equipment. It can offer no real support.

etc.. means that you've ran out of countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurk)
    China and Russia withdrew political support for Iran a whiles ago.

North Korea, although on close terms with Iran is sandwiched between the largest, and 6th largest armies in the world, while its army, although large, does not match China, the US, or South Korea in terms of the modernity of its equipment. It can offer no real support.

etc.. means that you've ran out of countries.
    Oh come on, you have to see beyond official diplomatic positions. That's what politics is all about. When placed in an extreme scenario such as WW3, countries such as China and NK would pretty rapidly align themselves with Iran.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.