Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You have several boosters for DTP over your child lifetime (my last was due 2003, but had it Wed) and once you have completed that you are up to date/protected - you shouldn't need any more.

Same for MMR, but you should have two shots of this. Most likely you had one MMR vaccination when you were younger, but not a second (which they started in 1994). Therefore, you are protected after a booster, and shouldn't need to be topped up again (though not sure, could be every 10 years? LOL).

As for M. C. I believe you only need one and are then protected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fid)
    You have several boosters for DTP over your child lifetime (my last was due 2003, but had it Wed) and once you have completed that you are up to date/protected - you shouldn't need any more.

Same for MMR, but you should have two shots of this. Most likely you had one MMR vaccination when you were younger, but not a second (which they started in 1994). Therefore, you are protected after a booster, and shouldn't need to be topped up again (though not sure, could be every 10 years? LOL).

As for M. C. I believe you only need one and are then protected.
    This is correct: DTP booster as a teenager covers you for life (although you might get given a tetanus top-up if you had a high risk injury); MMR x2 is all you need and should give you life-time immunity; Men C is given once and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    I had MMR and the a Measles and Rubella booster as a baby. Apparently that's the norm for people around my age (born end of 1988). That's the reason for the mumps outbreaks recently. Including at my school at GCSE time - what fun that must have been for the people who caught it. And I had the Meningitis C jab in year 6.
    So I need to have a mumps booster, but I think (and hope) that's all.
    I caught it and it wasn't pleasant!

ReputationRep:
    I went to see my docs the other day and all I need is a tetanus/diptheria booster.
    Pretty relieved, but then needles arent fun at all, no matter how many of them there are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kw2005)
    What you probably had was the single Measles jab as a one year old and the Measle and Rubella combo in 1994 - so you may not be covered for mumps at all. If that's right, you should have MMR x2, one now and another in three months or so.
    Nope, I had what I said I had, the nurse confirmed it today. MMR, and then Measles and Rubella combo later.
    Well I've had another MMR today, so I'm 3x as immune from Measles and Rubella... (that is how it works right :p:)
    But I am now properly up to date. Even if my arm does ache and I feel bleurgh.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh, had MMR this morning... feeling a bit fluey. pfft.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to my docs the other day and was told I don't need anything.. just to make sure I get my tetanus booster in 2 years. I've never had an MMR vaccine but I had Rubella on its own when I was 14. I have already had the mumps (although I believe it might be possible to get it more than once) and she said I should only get the MenC if there is an outbreak.

(Original post by Steph!)
    Eurgh, had MMR this morning... feeling a bit fluey. pfft.
    Think they are normal symptoms. I had Mencevax ACWY - feel slight dizzy in the head...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Nope, I had what I said I had, the nurse confirmed it today. MMR, and then Measles and Rubella combo later.
    Well I've had another MMR today, so I'm 3x as immune from Measles and Rubella... (that is how it works right :p:)
    But I am now properly up to date. Even if my arm does ache and I feel bleurgh.
    Fair enough - you will be highly immune to all of them now!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eau)
    Think they are normal symptoms. I had Mencevax ACWY - feel slight dizzy in the head...
    yeah, they are, it's just like when I had travel vacs.

I don't even know what that is!! sounds scary!

ReputationRep:
    Just got my meningitis shot today.

(Original post by Steph!)
    yeah, they are, it's just like when I had travel vacs.

I don't even know what that is!! sounds scary!
    It's a meningitis shot, which cover most types (not just C).

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from having MMR. I almost turned around and went home about five times 'cause I absolutely loathe needles, but I thought they'd probably ask me to have it when I got to Uni anyway. At least it's done now!

ReputationRep:
    your going to get freshers flu anyway im afraid, i thought id avoided it last year...then week3, was in bed for about 2 days!

ReputationRep:
    I saw my GP yesterday and he said the only vaccination I need is Meningitis C. I have made an appointment to have it done but it won't be until 2nd October. As I start my new uni on 26th September, I'm a bit worried I may be at risk. Is this something to be concerned about or am I just being silly?

ReputationRep:
    I need tetanus, never had that done as a kid for some reason.

Also I might get an MMR booster, though I had MMR when I was young, then got a second Measels/Rubella combo jab a little while after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akmd)
    I saw my GP yesterday and he said the only vaccination I need is Meningitis C. I have made an appointment to have it done but it won't be until 2nd October. As I start my new uni on 26th September, I'm a bit worried I may be at risk. Is this something to be concerned about or am I just being silly?
    Don't worry, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    I need tetanus, never had that done as a kid for some reason.

Also I might get an MMR booster, though I had MMR when I was young, then got a second Measels/Rubella combo jab a little while after.
    Good idea to get the second MMR - just to be sure.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.