The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think having these pictures on packets is a bloody farce.
Reply 61
whats farcical about it?

It wont affect the present smokers, but will serve its purpose in reducing the rate of new smokers.
Forté
whats farcical about it?

It wont affect the present smokers, but will serve its purpose in reducing the rate of new smokers.

It's a bloody farce because I don't really want some skanky picture staring up at me. It's not going to make me quit, but when I'm buying my fags I'm going to have to ask for a pack with a nicer picture on :smile: or buy them from the dodgy bloke down the pub.
Reply 63
Bubblebee
It's a bloody farce because I don't really want some skanky picture staring up at me.

:laugh: Its funny how you depict the pictures to be vile, knowing FULLY well that its a consequence of smoking, and will happily continue smoking. Ever so slightly hypocritical...
graphic images as well as the warnings on fag packets?

wow they are turning into an illustrated magazine, genius.

gives me something to read on my way from the pub stool out to the doorway rather than grumbling at this bsterd nany state.
Reply 65
If I did smoke, I wouldn't find it offputting in the slightest.
Forté
:laugh: Its funny how you depict the pictures to be vile, knowing FULLY well that its a consequence of smoking, and will happily continue smoking. Ever so slightly hypocritical...

Because it is my choice to live my life with little pleasures?

What is the point of living to one-hundred-and-fifty if in doing so I will never be able to enjoy the finer points of life. Chocolate. Saturated fat. Caffine. Base-jumping. Instead working 9-5, earning enough money to live comfortably yet never spending it. Working out in the gym, but not having the time to amble along a country path in the evening sun.

I'm sorry but I'd rather live in the here and now, experiment, have my vices, live life and to be frank, I don't need people to warn me of the consequenses... you can save that for the classroom because I'm going to learn from experience.
Reply 67
Bubblebee
Because it is my choice to live my life with little pleasures?

What is the point of living to one-hundred-and-fifty if in doing so I will never be able to enjoy the finer points of life. Chocolate. Saturated fat. Caffine. Base-jumping. Instead working 9-5, earning enough money to live comfortably yet never spending it. Working out in the gym, but not having the time to amble along a country path in the evening sun.

I'm sorry but I'd rather live in the here and now, experiment, have my vices, live life and to be frank, I don't need people to warn me of the consequenses... you can save that for the classroom because I'm going to learn from experience.

Hmmm, i never thought of it that way. I guess you've taught me something :redface: But we dont know if you'd be saying the same thing several years down the line...

Perhaps the risks of smoking are only recently being taken serious, but dont you agree the gradual phasing out of this past time is the ideal solution? I wouldnt know, but surely there are healthier alternatives?
Forté
Hmmm, i never thought of it that way. I guess you've taught me something :redface: But we dont know if you'd be saying the same thing several years down the line...

Perhaps the risks of smoking are only recently being taken serious, but dont you agree the gradual phasing out of this past time is the ideal solution? I wouldnt know, but surely there are healthier alternatives?

There are a whole bunch of things we do which aren't healthy. I agree that education is needed on the dangers, but doing drastic things like this is akin to all mouth no trousers. Smokers only quit if they want to, forcing images onto people like this is doing nothing at all. I mean, I'm not a driver and I loath cars... those adverts with the little girl coming back to life have a huge impact on me (as I've been hit by a car, and have lost friends in car crashes), but how many people do they actually stop speeding?
I'd rather the government and the anti-smokers (not non-smokers) keep their peckers out of my business and look at their own faults first.
Although the health risks are obvious, mabye it should say, this is what passive smoking may do to others around you or this is what your childs heart/lungs may look like, if you smoke and smoke near yout child or children. The same could also be applied to alcholic drinks but that affects the drinker only usually.
HertfordshireBoy
Although the health risks are obvious, mabye it should say, this is what passive smoking may do to others around you or this is what your childs heart/lungs may look like, if you smoke and smoke near yout child or children. The same could also be applied to alcholic drinks but that affects the drinker only usually.

I guess you've never been bottled in the face by a raving drunkard.
Bubblebee
I guess you've never been bottled in the face by a raving drunkard.

Nope not yet, LOL, but there is less chace IMHO of effects from other people's drink than others peoples smoke. For drinkers I did say most the time in my defence.
And anyway, as we all know the health risks of smoking on ourselves I think it's pretty clear that they apply to others in the vicinity. I know that I wouldn't smoke around a child, I don't need a picture of a manky lung to tell me that. It would repulse me as much as a dead cow on the packet would. Not nice to look at, but not going to make me stop.
Reply 73
Smokers know all about the effect. The addiction is very tough to leave.
Reply 74
Bubblebee
I don't need a picture of a manky lung to tell me that. It would repulse me as much as a dead cow on the packet would. Not nice to look at, but not going to make me stop.

Haha, exactly. I've wittnessed my dad blacking out the icky pictures with a permanent marker...ingenious!
Reply 75
Vasavdatta
Smokers know all about the effect. The addiction is very tough to leave.

Don't talk rubbish. Yes, we do typically know the affects, however not giving it up has nothing to do with addiction.
K o k
Haha, exactly. I've wittnessed my dad blacking out the icky pictures with a permanent marker...ingenious!

See I was just going to have a pot of glue and some Brad Pitt/George Cloony/ Jesse Metcalf cutouts ready! :wink:
Reply 77
Libertinus Septentrionalis
Don't talk rubbish. Yes, we do typically know the affects, however not giving it up has nothing to do with addiction.

I've posted something similar this before, but I just re-looked up the stat (it was Oxford Handbook of General Practice 2nd Ed if anyone's interested):

70% of smokers want to give up & 2% per year manage to permanently.

Why do the ~68% who want to stop fail to, if not because they're addicted? :confused:
Elles
I've posted something similar this before, but I just re-looked up the stat (it was Oxford Handbook of General Practice 2nd Ed if anyone's interested):

70% of smokers want to give up & 2% per year manage to permanently.

Why do the ~68% who want to stop fail to, if not because they're addicted? :confused:

People don't really know when they're addicted :smile:

Even though they want to give up, it doesn't mean they actually want to (I know this doesn't make sense, but it does.)

:biggrin: :biggrin:
Bubblebee
I just laugh, laugh at you all. Bloody middle-class tory spawn, think you can all change the way we poor people think.

Actually it's more likely to be the middle class liberal do gooders forcing this healthocracy on everyone. The types that lament the famines in Africa and then go and spend £3 on an organic marks and sparks lettuce for their poxy salad. Not that the polar bear loving tories are any better, i heard they were planning on banning plasma screen tvs because it was harmful to people's health. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending