Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Jordan,

Well, you are entitled to hold whatever views you wish and so am I. There is no call to be offensive.

Maybe the people you know who went from GCSE C to AS were ill during the GCSEs and were actually very good at maths. I stand by what I said - that someone with genuine C grade understanding has no realistic chance at AS/A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Jordan,

Well, you are entitled to hold whatever views you wish and so am I. There is no call to be offensive.

Maybe the people you know who went from GCSE C to AS were ill during the GCSEs and were actually very good at maths. I stand by what I said - that someone with genuine C grade understanding has no realistic chance at AS/A level.
    It is true what you are saying there when you think about it: A C grade doing AS, but this person said that they only started revising a month B4 just imagine if that person started 3 months, she would have flown past a C

ReputationRep:
    Jordan,

Nope, they were perfectly well. They revised alot and said the exam went well. Then proved synics, such as yourself, wrong by going onto achieve an A grade in maths; I think it's fantastic. You obviously have no experience, to pass that judgment, so why offer your opinion? It lcearly has no substance. I'm not claiming it would be plain sailing, it would be a mammoth task, but far from impossible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    It is true what you are saying there when you think about it: A C grade doing AS, but this person said that they only started revising a month B4 just imagine if that person started 3 months, she would have flown past a C
    But getting good grades in exams is very much a case of "what if I had...?".

If.

ReputationRep:
    From a personal perspective, I'd strongly advise against it. I'm not a naturally mathematician by any means but I don't find maths particularly difficult. At GCSE I achieved a grade A without very little effort, I then chose to continue with maths at AS. I was prepared for the fact that it was going to be a challenging course and worked continuosly hard at it all year . After all that work I only managed to achieve a D at AS.

However you might be more mathematical, there are people I know of who didn't do exceptionally well at GCSE and then started to realise their potential when it came to AS. Also does depend on what modules you do. For example, I was disadvantaged because we did a mechanics module, whereas I probably could have improved on my grade if we'd have done statistics at AS.

All the best whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanSHowarth)
    You obviously have no experience, to pass that judgment, so why offer your opinion? It lcearly has no substance.
    I bow to your clearly superior judgement (and spelling). I only have the experience of doing A level double maths to go on.

ReputationRep:
    I bow to your clearly superior judgement (and spelling). I only have the experience of doing A level double maths to go on.
    No, not my "superior" judgement, just my equaly valid one. Is there a reason why your correcting my spelling? Does that have any relevence? (I'm dislexic just to inform you ). Wow, you took double maths, that provides you with the means to tell this person not to? I think not:rolleyes:

In the other post you attempted to flex your obviously poor understanding of medicine entry requirments, to which you failed. I have no faith in you, and neither should the OP.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't correct anything - certainly not your spelling. And I wish you well in getting into medicine with whatever academic results you would like. Let's hope that your dyslexia does not affect your prescription-writing skills.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't correct anything - certainly not your spelling. And I wish you well in getting into medicine with whatever academic results you would like. Let's hope that your dyslexia does not affect your prescription-writing skills.
    Let's hope not:rolleyes:
    I'm sure as long as it's legible, it wont be cause for concern.

ReputationRep:
    basically if you enjoy maths, are willing to put in a lot of effort then go ahead and do it. like someone has already mentioned, if you really don't like it or the teaching isn't very good then just drop it in the first few weeks and pick another.
    a/s wouldn't be so difficult but a2 level is a big jump from gcse but if the teaching is good and you keep a good flow of work then you should be able to do it. i was told by a teacher that there is a lot of algebra and quadratic equations so if they sink into your brain then that's excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just retake the GCSE to get a B? Less effort, better results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xemmajanex)
    Why not just retake the GCSE to get a B? Less effort, better results
    Yeah if he doesnt want to do anything maths related that needs an a level in maths and just wants to get into a good uni, then retake maths. it'll be easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanSHowarth)
    :p: Are you a budding math's enthusiast?
    No; I did ****-all and ended up with an 'A'. And I'm not even any good.

ReputationRep:
    i got an A in gcse and an A in AS...but i did find it pretty hard..you may want to reconsider?..but why dont you try a intermediate paper now and see if you could have got a B. If you can then it shows you have the potential to go for alevel maths..its upto you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    Don't listen to some of the people on this thread. It is perfectly possible to get a high grade in AS level maths after getting a C at intermediate providing you put in the required effort and hard work. A poster on here (Mustard Man I think) got an A at A level after only getting C at GCSE and that was self-taught, which shows anything is possible.
    That is the most sense on this thread upto now. well said mate. i got a B and half at gcse, half way to an A, so i didnt just scrape a B. I didnt revise so i think im taking maths providing i put the effort in.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, retake it like I am, boost your grade to an A, only do it, if you require for a specific course at uni, nothing is impossible in life, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe a C grade will mean struggle. I got friends who only got a C in GCSE maths, got a B/C in A level Maths. Maths is something you can practice and basically similar techniques of manipulation come from AS to A2. Though I found C1 to C4 easy (not boasting but i got 83-99 out of 100) because I have mastered a lot of algebra techniques from the start of AS Maths. Though i only got C's in stats 1 and 2 lmao. But my friends who only got a C in GCSE maths did well because of the fact that they practice at the college in lesson. And then keep practicing in the library until they are very familiar to what to do. The didnt even revise that much before the exams compared to me...

In maths it's work rate consistency thats more important to achieve an A-C grade.

ReputationRep:
    listen mate, if your gonna quote me, at least ensure there's no faults
    I said Oxbridge tend to require 5/6 A* from all their candidates at GCSE which means yes, there will be A's and the occasional B - certainly not B
    So many got a B in 1 subject and dont state it as it will hamper their chances. This is a B not a C you dufus.
    If you find it too difficult, your already behind for another subject - why try the inevitable? Im not a pessimist, just a realist

(Original post by 02mik_e)
    anthony please stop putting people down. i think your philosophy to life is that if it is too hard then don't try it. Go for it OP, please don't listen to this guy, he said that you needed 10A* to get into oxbridge, not everyone there has 10A*. You have the determination to do well in maths and i say go for it. Simple as, if you don't like the subject or find it too hard then drop it in the 1st term and pick another one.

ReputationRep:
    Please people lets stop this,
    I'm sure the OP feels pretty hopeless right now and like his dreams are over.
    Stopit! Please.
    No one has the right to make someone feel like that.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.