Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sehnsucht)
    Lighten up losers! :p:
    ..........Nah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaneNorman)
    I'm generally a very cheery person, I have a good laugh, I have nice teeth etc etc, but sometimes if I'm not talking to anyone: for example I could be sat down in a cafe/club/bus just generally looking around, sometimes people say to me "you could try smiling" or "smile" (this is people I don't know). Thing is, do people expect me to walk round with a fixed grin on my face. This happened to me last night. I went to a club and some of my friends were up dancing, and me and this other guy were sat down as we didn't feel like dancing. He tapped me on the shoulder and said "you could try smiling". It always feels like its me people say this too. I don't look like any angry person lol. Does anyone else have this to them a lot? Its starting to make me paranoid now.
    This has happened to me a couple of times from my mates recently. I like to think I smile a lot but you can't force it.

ReputationRep:
    I get instructed to smile by strangers too. It makes me so angry; in fact, there's nothing which makes me want to smile less. I want to say to them "you could try shoving your self-important, "altruistic" urge to interfere in MY life and MY private thought-space up your behind, and ****ing off somewhere else." However, I'm too well socially conditioned to actually do this.

There is no point in mindlessly smiling. It reduces the effect of a real smile, like the boy who cried wolf. The only good reason for it would be to reduce the number of "conversation starters" that these people have at their disposal.

ReputationRep:
    It happens to me as well! I suppose it's because I have heavy eye-lids. Tis muchos frustrating, but to be honest it's rarely meant as an insult. I was walking around yesterday with a normal (i.e. suicidal :p: ) expression on my face when a group of guys walked past me, and one of them leaned over and said, 'You'd look much prettier with a smile on your face'. For a second I was horrified and didn't react, but then I turned around and gave him a big smile. And he smiled back and said 'You see? That's much better'. And it was fine.

But if I'd allowed it to get to me I would have just walked on, convinced that my face makes me look so hideously miserable that strangers approach me in the street to insult me about it. These things are only as upsetting as you allow them to be.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is great! Now I don't feel like a freak coz I usually get this as well, and one guy when I was out in a club last night kept saying it. But like many here if I'm just thinking or not really feeling any type of emotion at that time then I'm not going to smile!

I used to get in school a lot as well, and I find it bloody irritating as well, its just coz my face relaxed makes me look quite down, when actually I'm not. Generally I'm a happy, positive person.

Although generally I find that if I'm happy and I smile at them then you get what seems to be a sincere smile back....saying that I have asked someone if they're okay if they look a bit down, is it so offensive to care about others well-being (the people I ask do tend to be people I know!)....

Okay that post made no sense....oh well

ReputationRep:
    Glad Im not the only one to get that stupid saying. Normally I am quite happy its just that I dont smile when on my own, usually in a public place, unless im under the influence of course.

ReputationRep:
    yes this has happened to me from complete strangers about 4 times in my life. three of those times it has developed into being asked for my number... interestiiiing to whoever said it was probably a way of hitting on somebody. i never thought of it like that (probably because i do generally have THE saddest expression ever when i'm just sitting there so i'm not very surprised when i've been told i should smile lol).

it shouldn't bother you. as long as you're not sitting there with a goofy expression and picking your nose, whatever man

ReputationRep:
    It's happened to me too, a couple of times...
    An old guy walked past me on the street once and said 'it may never happen'!! and when I went to Madame Tussauds, the kiosk person told me to smile, and when I did, he said 'that's much better'!!

I can't help it if my lips naturally turn downwards at the corner. *eyeroll*

ReputationRep:
    I get told to - 'cheer up' sometimes aswell. It actually really bugs me. I always smile when people are talking to me etc, i think when im on my own and walking about i dont smile as much and my face is straight and somehow my 'straight' face makes me look miserable? When i was at school some ppl used to say it to me occasionally, now ive left school ive tried a more cheery approach to things. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Same, i get it all the time when i'm at work with nothing to do so just sitting there.

I have quite pouty lips, so when i'm just relaxed or natural i look pissed off.

So i always get people going to me 'whats wrong' etc when nothings wrong.
    Which actually makes me more annoyed than the first place coz everyone else will start to say it lol

xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    i get this all the time. its sooooooooooo annoying! but when im not smiling unfortunatly my natural face appears moody. So i get people asking are you ok? or saying irritating things like 'crack a smile' which makes me annoyed. So you're not on your own!

ReputationRep:
    I get this all the time too... and my lips are kinda "heart shaped" so to be honest i dont think i look angry or moody when im not smiling.. And its so annoying when you're like waiting for your classes at 7 am and someone (usually a total stranger you have never seen in your life) comes up to you with "Ohhhh.. you could try smiling.." .. like seriously, be happy i can breath at that time =D
    You're defenetly not on your own!! =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaneNorman)
    I'm generally a very cheery person, I have a good laugh, I have nice teeth etc etc, but sometimes if I'm not talking to anyone: for example I could be sat down in a cafe/club/bus just generally looking around, sometimes people say to me "you could try smiling" or "smile" (this is people I don't know). Thing is, do people expect me to walk round with a fixed grin on my face. This happened to me last night. I went to a club and some of my friends were up dancing, and me and this other guy were sat down as we didn't feel like dancing. He tapped me on the shoulder and said "you could try smiling". It always feels like its me people say this too. I don't look like any angry person lol. Does anyone else have this to them a lot? Its starting to make me paranoid now.

Thats exactly what happens to me. somtimes im just walking down the street and someone just goes "smile". im really bubbly and cheery but theres only so long i can full on grin for and if im alone in the street, it'd look a bit wierd if i was just walking around smiling to myself. People only say it to me when im alone but its still wierd. Glad i'm not the only one!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah get this all the time, and as I am polite I do smile at them when really I should just tell them to mind their own ****ing business. Nothing apart from a cheery 'smile!' demand makes me want to slap someone more.:mad: I guess I just look miserable but meh, thats my perogative, I'm a deep thinker, see.
    As someone said it would be quite funny to shock them by saying I just found out I have AIDs or something like that.
    Who does walk around with a cheesy teethy grin on their face anyway, we don't live in America after all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sehnsucht)
    My god, some of you non-smilers are more miserable than my cat on bath day! :rolleyes: If someone tells you to smile, chances are it's not the same kind of request as your bank telling you to pay a fine - it's probably either a way to initiate conversation to see if you're actually ok, or a way to initiate conversation to talk about other things. Some of the responses here make me understand why everyone nowadays walks around with their eyes to the ground, never looking at anyone, never smiling at anyone, never starting conversation with anyone they don't know. Lighten up losers! :p:
    :hmmm:I'm guesing your one of the culprits that yells 'smile' at us non-smilers?:eviltongu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okilidokili)
    :hmmm:I'm guesing your one of the culprits that yells 'smile' at us non-smilers?:eviltongu
    And your name implies you are so happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lou*)
    I get this all the time too... and my lips are kinda "heart shaped" so to be honest i dont think i look angry or moody when im not smiling.. And its so annoying when you're like waiting for your classes at 7 am and someone (usually a total stranger you have never seen in your life) comes up to you with "Ohhhh.. you could try smiling.." .. like seriously, be happy i can breath at that time =D
    You're defenetly not on your own!! =D
    It's not that you look moody when not smiling, it's the fact some people are so narrow minded that they don't realise not smiling does not mean unhappy. I would never force a smile, and people bugging me to do so just makes the chance of one occuring naturally even lower. I don't get the obsession with smiles, I think a lot of people look prettier with the natural look. But that's social conditioning for you. We're all taught from a young age that you must constantly wear a smile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    And your name implies you are so happy
    I am happy inside but I don't wear a cheesy grin. Just cause someone doesn't constantly smile doesn't mean they are not happy. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I am happy inside but I don't wear a cheesy grin. Just cause someone doesn't constantly smile doesn't mean they are not happy. :p:
    I know i know, i get it all the time. People think I'm miserable but on the inside I'm perfectly happy. Usually I'm just thinking

ReputationRep:
    Never, actually! I do study English at York though - are you looking forward to it? :cool:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.