This discussion is closed.
TKnightrider
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by InaSpin)
Exactement ma cherie

I've only bitten this thread because of the display, or lack of - initiative in the OPs other thread (and this one, mind), which included re-posting a thread which is already a sticky thanks to Q_M, and then in this thread just outrightly digging for answers then doing a nice bit of ctlr+c and ctrl+v.

I just get annoyed as this isn't an Ask Jeeves service. It's a tool to aid revision but not to dig for gen. And if Mike1984 is really 22/23 then OH DEAR. He says he has read TSR but I'm still not convinced. He neg repped me for pointing this out previously and started 'mouthing off' so don't expect any answers from me.

Caphiche?

I'm willing to help those that have shown they have done their research and who openly contribute.
I understand. Shame he neg repped you over that. Seems a bit pathetic. I looked in my dad's Sandhurst book on the ethics of leadership. Little gemstone that book. ^^
Q_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ahhhhhh...I see what InaSpin was on about, nvm.
mark1010
Report 11 years ago
And for those of you considering being an SNCO, you need to have all of the above qualities AND be able to look after the officers.
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol...theres the sense of humour one.

EDIT: MUST be good at extreme banter/practical jokes
NFI
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mark1010)
And for those of you considering being an SNCO, you need to have all of the above qualities AND be able to look after the officers.
Since when does it only apply to seniors!?

I think it takes more hands on leadership to be a good senior, the boys look to you for experience, knowledge, inspiration etc, they only look to the officer for orders.
mark1010
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NFI)
Since when does it only apply to seniors!?

I think it takes more hands on leadership to be a good senior, the boys look to you for experience, knowledge, inspiration etc, they only look to the officer for orders.
I think that officers look to the SNCOs for all of the above too!

To be honest i only mentioned SNCOs because there are a lot of people interested in NC Aircrew side of things.

Standing by for incoming along the lines of plastic sgts!
mike1984
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by InaSpin)
Exactement ma cherie

I've only bitten this thread because of the display, or lack of - initiative in the OPs other thread (and this one, mind), which included re-posting a thread which is already a sticky thanks to Q_M, and then in this thread just outrightly digging for answers then doing a nice bit of ctlr+c and ctrl+v.

I just get annoyed as this isn't an Ask Jeeves service. It's a tool to aid revision but not to dig for gen. And if Mike1984 is really 22/23 then OH DEAR. He says he has read TSR but I'm still not convinced. He neg repped me for pointing this out previously and started 'mouthing off' so don't expect any answers from me.

Caphiche?

I'm willing to help those that have shown they have done their research and who openly contribute.
1) Dont know what you have got against me but its been like it from the start
2) Not everyone who is new on here reads every single post as there are too many
3) mike1984 doesnt mean im 22/23 but can see where you are coming from

if you havent got anything good to say please dont say it
Lady Venom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Got nothing against you mate, just your inititative - and there aren't too many posts too read. Speak to BH about reading through long threads. I've done it too.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
2) Not everyone who is new on here reads every single post as there are too many
Folks that come into the thread with this opinion need to realise that it is not an opinion that sits well with the military mind-set, and many of the regulars in here have that military mind-set because they have been in/are in/are strong candidates to get in. With the resources available here, any arm or rank of the military would expect people to do sufficient research first and not ask basic questions that have been answered a dozen times before. That is why, occasionally, the 'regulars' on here seem less than tolerant of certain questions.

Furthermore, certain questions, or at least the phrasing of certain questions, seems to be designed to take important knowledge from others, without giving anything. When we all know that competition is high for any place in the Armed Forces, that doesn't quite seem in the spirit of things.

When seemingly harsh comments are made, perhaps we should do a little more research before jumping to conclusions - like look up a persons posting history and see if there is a pattern of asking stupid questions or taking and not giving with information. Even for people who are generous with their time and knowledge, it really is quite difficult to keep answering the same bone questions sometimes!

if you havent got anything good to say please don't say it
Again, if that is how people see life, then they should brace up for a shock if they join the Armed Forces! Course reports and annual reports etc will have no problem using phrases like 'failed to achieve', 'weak', 'under-performed', did not pull his/her weight', 'made no effort', 'is a training risk'. There is absolutely no namby-pambying to the idea of only saying positive, or encouraging things as you find in civvy street. Again, several people on here have been exposed to that environment and are simply reflecting this attitude and style of the Services. It is nothing personal at all.
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Folks that come into the thread with this opinion need to realise that it is not an opinion that sits well with the military mind-set, and many of the regulars in here have that military mind-set because they have been in/are in/are strong candidates to get in. With the resources available here, any arm or rank of the military would expect people to do sufficient research first and not ask basic questions that have been answered a dozen times before. That is why, occasionally, the 'regulars' on here seem less than tolerant of certain questions.

Furthermore, certain questions, or at least the phrasing of certain questions, seems to be designed to take important knowledge from others, without giving anything. When we all know that competition is high for any place in the Armed Forces, that doesn't quite seem in the spirit of things.

When seemingly harsh comments are made, perhaps we should do a little more research before jumping to conclusions - like look up a persons posting history and see if there is a pattern of asking stupid questions or taking and not giving with information. Even for people who are generous with their time and knowledge, it really is quite difficult to keep answering the same bone questions sometimes!
TPD is of course right here. At the end of the day, there is a very fine balance with giving and receiving information on these forums.

I can’t go along with the “too many posts to read” thing at all though I’m afraid. I’ve done it – maybe not read every single post ever written by every single member ever, but I’ve certainly used the search button to gain specifics and I’ve used the FAQ (which is the most useful thing ever).

Asking questions is fine, but giving back information is just as important and just as necessary.

QM
mike1984
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quiet_Mason)
TPD is of course right here. At the end of the day, there is a very fine balance with giving and receiving information on these forums.

I can’t go along with the “too many posts to read” thing at all though I’m afraid. I’ve done it – maybe not read every single post ever written by every single member ever, but I’ve certainly used the search button to gain specifics and I’ve used the FAQ (which is the most useful thing ever).

Asking questions is fine, but giving back information is just as important and just as necessary.

QM
I have given back just as much information as i have asked.
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mike1984)
I have given back just as much information as i have asked.
It wasn't a rant at you in particular. What information have you posted I didnt see?
mike1984
Rep:
?
It wasn't a rant at you in particular. What information have you posted I didnt see?
Just information and advice on the AFCO filter interview but it was moved to another sticky so I dont think many will see it. I think you might of quoted me on it but i migh be wrong. You know how stressful and hard the selection process is, so it doesnt help when people are having ago and putting each other down. i realise the job we are applying for is demanding at all times but people have to remember that at the end of the day we are all on the same side and one day might serve together. Maybe im just stressed and worrying about the whole process.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You posted a few questions, I'll give you that, but in the incorrect place and then created more work for me by posting it again after I had moved it, and now you're whinging about it.

I moved the post the the Big Sticky because it is useful information. Surprisingly, a lot of people who come to the forum want to find out as much information as possible so read the sticky threads, and do searches.

This forum is the fluffiest I have come across with forces forums, and I think if anyone continually posted drivel on Arrse or Pprune then they'd be told to 'DO A SEARCH'. Why, when people have put a lot of effort into answering threads should they then spoon feed someone by regurgitating the information? Use one of the Officer qualities and use your initiative.

I people are not willing to put the effort in to doing their own research and conducting their own searches then it just leads you to question if they are willing to put the effort in for anything.
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yea I understand what you are saying, and yes the selection process is very stressful - and it is clearly designed to be in some ways.

InaSpin only had a mini rant I don't think it was as bad as that, and I can fully understand where she is coming from. The FAQ thread will get you through your filter interview easily if you have the right attitude, and the rest of the site along with the odd question now and then is enough for OASC on the back of your own research - I think thats all she was saying. There is no need for people to ask silly small questions that have been answered before. Again, not a rant at you.
simone2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)

This forum is the fluffiest I have come across with forces forums, and I think if anyone continually posted drivel on Arrse or Pprune then they'd be told to 'DO A SEARCH'. Why, when people have put a lot of effort into answering threads should they then spoon feed someone by regurgitating the information? Use one of the Officer qualities and use your initiative.
I agree on that. I have visited pprune, egoat and AARSE and they're not pleased when people ask the same questions over and over, hence they all have stickys at the top of each thread. I don't think I've managed to upset anyone yet.....?

As mentioned earlier, people don't mind answering genuine 'new' questions.
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
like "can pilots have fillings?"

...sorry. Had to get that in somewhere.
NFI
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mike1984)
You know how stressful and hard the selection process is, so it doesnt help when people are having ago and putting each other down. i realise the job we are applying for is demanding at all times but people have to remember that at the end of the day we are all on the same side and one day might serve together. Maybe im just stressed and worrying about the whole process.
Jesus, how are you going to cope when someone is square in your face threatening to put you on your arse because you can't do something simple? You can go and see the padre and tell him you're stressed. Nothing will change, but it might make you feel better :rolleyes:
simone2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
like "can pilots have fillings?"

...sorry. Had to get that in somewhere.
A few of my favourites from the 'Navy ask a question site'!

Hi Keith, Great sunglasses - are they issued to you during Pilot training? Is flying a Lynx like being in Top Gun?

Hi, who is Joe - are you an Observer? I was thinking about Observer but don't know much about it - what do you actually do? Do you just watch the Pilot?

whats it like flying the merlin i have seen that its a glass cockpit does that really help with submarine attacks?

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MID=...rId=3510841712
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lmao
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads