Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    It's more difficult to get into the Arsenal starting 11. See where this is going?
    I doubt it, with Flamini gone, Hleb on his way out, and doubts over Cesc...Edurado's broken foot, Van persie's injueries, and the fact that Eboue is shyte...it cant be THAT difficult!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    McKinsey, Bain and BCG are generally the top tier. McKinsey and BCG probably having the edge.
    Bain > BCG surely? To the point where Binya (TSR), Pinky etc turned down their McK offers for Bain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincipalAgent)
    personally from what and who I know they state that LEK is more difficult to get into then Bain and Mckinsey. It is also has a strong preference for PPE graduates of Oxford.

LEK sucks bags. Their starting salary made me want to vomit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    It's more difficult to get into the Arsenal starting 11. See where this is going?
    Hi,

I'm only interning at a 2nd-tier club this summer, West Ham. I was just wondering, if I get an offer, what are my chances of securing a full-time offer from a bulge bracket club like Arsenal or Chelsea? Also, would the bonuses be higher in back office (defence) at a bulge bracket, or front office (striker) at a 2nd tier? And what are the exit opportunities like if I ever want to leave the industry, I hear TV presenting is a common choice - would I need an MBA for that?

Cheers guys :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Patrick Bateman)
    Bain > BCG surely? To the point where Binya (TSR), Pinky etc turned down their McK offers for Bain.
    I've known plenty to turn down McK for BCG. I think turning down McK for Bain, at least in some cases, involved being turned down by BCG. It's a fit thing, as they have different ethoses. Going for Bain over McK is often more about not being a geek or not wanting to work weekends. At least in people I've spoken to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincipalAgent)
    personally from what and who I know they state that LEK is more difficult to get into then Bain and Mckinsey. It is also has a strong preference for PPE graduates of Oxford.
    That doesn't make it harder to get into. Far far less. I remember someone mentioning that at a BCG assessment centre, all but 3 people were JCR Presidents at Oxbridge. LEK is not as hard to get into as those.

ReputationRep:
    I am always impressed at how focussed people on these forums are (even though it's a 1,5 years ago). I have had interviews with McKinsey recently being in my second year of undergrad studies and honestly: It is just a firm run by normal people.

I would never ever chose my degree depending on a company. I always thought different, but during the interviews I found out that I just might not fit into McKinsey personally and that I would prefer Bain or BCG. As said, it's a personal thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gottesschaf)
    I am always impressed at how focussed people on these forums are (even though it's a 1,5 years ago). I have had interviews with McKinsey recently being in my second year of undergrad studies and honestly: It is just a firm run by normal people.

I would never ever chose my degree depending on a company. I always thought different, but during the interviews I found out that I just might not fit into McKinsey personally and that I would prefer Bain or BCG. As said, it's a personal thing!
    All the people replying in this thread (2 years ago) are bankers. They're clueless when it comes to consulting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gottesschaf)
    Did you interview in London or in a German office?

I think it's been pretty well established by now that New York and London are the hothouses of consulting recruitment, and it's going to be a lot easier to get into a McKinsey office elsewhere. I accept your point that the people there are not Greek gods or anything, but at the end of the day, you don't walk into a McKinsey career.

If you want a job at McKinsey London, you need to have unparalleled focus. Please don't advise people against this.

ReputationRep:
    Just met a guy who's done IBD for 2 years at CS and is now at Bain. According to him it's "easier to get into top MCs with a year or two of BB experience-much easier than straight grad positions". I'm wondering though, how common is this route: 1/2 years IBD and then Consulting? And why would anyone do that as pay is much lower? (ok, hours are not bad, but travelling non stop is as worse, so whats the deal?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    Did you interview in London or in a German office?

I think it's been pretty well established by now that New York and London are the hothouses of consulting recruitment, and it's going to be a lot easier to get into a McKinsey office elsewhere. I accept your point that the people there are not Greek gods or anything, but at the end of the day, you don't walk into a McKinsey career.

If you want a job at McKinsey London, you need to have unparalleled focus. Please don't advise people against this.

Good point. In many European countries (Central and Eastern) McKinsey hires people from local universities who are assigned to local and international projects/clients. In London, NYC and other major places, among other things, you need top university/business school to get an interview, the rest is up to you.

Sorry, my reply is for the original thread poster - I just liked your point

You should ask yourself why do you want to work in management consulting. If it is for the nature of work itself than you have hundreds of other chocies besides McKinsey. There are lot of small boutique companies that do some great management consulting projects. If it is the prestige that you are after than yes, pursue masters degree at Oxbridge or LSE and you might stand a chance. You might still not get in-they are not only after a good school name on your CV.

Lot of fuss is made about McKinsey and other top management consultancies, but its totally groundless. I have a friend who works there and she is just a regular girl who is, bytheway, planning to leave the place for some job with more regular working hours. There are some people there who consider themselves God sent because they work there, but most of them are really just OK regular types that you get at any work place. Many young analysts and associates are often faced with work assignments in industries that they know very little about which can often impact your self esteem at work place. Add to that extrem working hours (I work in corporate law for a major law firm, so I know what it feels like when you see the Sun rising from your office desk-you feel like a little dirty, tired worm ), frequent traveling and inability to maintain regular contact with your friends and family and etc. Whatever the money, whatever the prestige, these things become trivial in everyday life.
    My point is, go for the career you are passionate about because of the nature of the work, intellectual challenge, creativity, and etc.. If you think that McKinsey alone can offer you that, then you will need a top school under your belt. I hear that in London graduates from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL that stand the best chance (any degree basically but preference is given to business and engineering degrees) plus some European business schools (mostly business and management degrees).
    Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.