Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone feel a lot of the social scene is false? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well it seems your main gripe here is wanting to find people similar to yourself, but like someone said before its hard to go out and meet someone who's quiet and introverted like you are.

i get along with both types of people so ive never really had any experience in actively finding someone..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    I genuinely have nout to say and I hate anecdotes and all that. Weird thing is that as a younger teenager I was very extrovert, but when it all got a bit adult, I became crap at it.
    I know what you mean. Sometimes, when I meet a new person, I find that I don't care enough to try to have a long conversation with them. Maybe, being an introvert yourself and because you are essentially self-stimulated, brain-wise, you can't bring yourself to care enough about other people in order to facilitate conversation? I'm guessing here, not assuming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schokis)
    I know what you mean. Sometimes, when I meet a new person, I find that I don't care enough to try to have a long conversation with them. Maybe, being an introvert yourself and because you are essentially self-stimulated, brain-wise, you can't bring yourself to care enough about other people in order to facilitate conversation? I'm guessing here, not assuming.
    I'm good if it's one on one, if they are genuine serious etc, or if it's a small group. But I hate bigger groups and a less serious atmosphere where you have to be 'entertaining'

ReputationRep:
    i would choose a nice evening in with mates a dvd and a pizza any night!

going out is over rated to some extent, fair enough once a week but i feel like i have to live up to the expectations of people and can quite be myself, which i hate and have more recently insisted to myself to not let someone change my behaviour.

I know people that try to hard to "fit" in with the crowd, im a relaxed person and dont need to be impressed or have someone trying to get my attention, i take people for who they are, it is slightly sad when someone has to result to doing such messures

I still don't feel like I quite know what you're getting at, but I want to know because if it is what I think it is... it's like me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I still don't feel like I quite know what you're getting at, but I want to know because if it is what I think it is... it's like me!
    Well describe you and I'll tell you if it's what I mean.

(Original post by naivesincerity)
    Well describe you and I'll tell you if it's what I mean.
    I don't know really, I'm going to sleep on it and get back to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I don't know really, I'm going to sleep on it and get back to you!
    LOL, ok, you do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i am a duck)
    hahah your profile picture
    whats wrong with my profile picture!?! :P & yes i do have bebo, & i do have 3 of pictures on there. I'm just talking about a select few people who seem desperate to look popular so add everyone they've ever walked passed, and have about 7,000 pictures, where most aren't even theres!

ReputationRep:
    nothings wrong with it, its funny.

ReputationRep:
    To show their friends what a wild time they had the night before you dingus, to share the pictures with everyone else. What's the point in having a facebook or a myspace if all you're going to have is grainy webcam pictures of you and your cat sat at your computer desk???

Do you never go to a party, have a fun time, and want pictures as you know...i dunno proof that you had a good time? something you can look back on and say "oh ****, i had such a good time!"
    Thanks columbo. I already knew that.

Why do you have to show your friends what a wild time you had? Why do they think they would care? Why would they? It's a poor attempt to show off, basically.

ReputationRep:
    Because friends generally care about what their friends get up to. Do you not have friends? Seriously I'm not being funny here but I really don't understand why people are finding it such a hard thing to come to terms with, do you have aspergers?

ReputationRep:
    Because friends generally care about what their friends get up to. Do you not have friends? Seriously I'm not being funny here but I really don't understand why people are finding it such a hard thing to come to terms with, do you have aspergers?
    No, infact my EQ is quite high, but your presumptions are welcomed.

I am not even being biased here, lots of my friends (real ones, not just people I add to look 'popular') on facebook have hundreds of photos tagged with them in on nights out, as do I.

I checked a few photos out of my old mate from my hometown when I saw his profile, that's it. I didn't go pouring through the massive pile, which consisted of him just looking pissed, from what I saw briefly.

ReputationRep:
    My dad told me one of the things he really regrets was not taking more photos of his life over the years, that maybe after 20-30 years you may not have seen some of the people you used to know so well, and that photos can help take you back to those moments.

So, I take photos for that reason and put them online so my friends can have them too, if they want. I don't know about them but I try and collect the photos from my friend's albums to help complete my collections - maybe i missed something! Yes, obviously there are some where we're all being silly, but geeze.. I'd rather be out being silly than in complaining about the people in my photos.

ReputationRep:
    OP: Yes, a lot of the social scene is false. Women are the worst culprits but some men can be just as bad. Especially the ones who either a) have a inferiority complex b) want some booty.

I think for the most part it does represent social rituals. But I do think some are genuinely enjoying themselves, even if its just because its what they've been led to believe is a 'good time'. Facebook only exists to make Mark Zuckerburg (sp?) money and it does that by selling you an image of yourself you can project to the rest of the world. Thats all a lot of these people are, images of who they want everyone else to believe they are.

There some genuine people about, just as everyone said, really hard to find

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    No, infact my EQ is quite high, but your presumptions are welcomed.

I am not even being biased here, lots of my friends (real ones, not just people I add to look 'popular') on facebook have hundreds of photos tagged with them in on nights out, as do I.

I checked a few photos out of my old mate from my hometown when I saw his profile, that's it. I didn't go pouring through the massive pile, which consisted of him just looking pissed, from what I saw briefly.
    I wasn't trying to be insulting with that aspergers thing by the way.

But I mean, it seems like you're pretending not to see my point, just like you said, your real friends on facebook and admitedly even yourself have hundreds of pictures tagged. It's because friends like to share pictures with each other...its as simple as that.

And yes on things like myspace where you'll have people you've never met on your friends list, pictures are sort of there to 'impress' other people, but there's really no harm in it at all and people do all manner of things in real life to impress other people, it doesn't automatically mean they're contrived or dishonest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    OP: Yes, a lot of the social scene is false. Women are the worst culprits but some men can be just as bad. Especially the ones who either a) have a inferiority complex b) want some booty.

I think for the most part it does represent social rituals. But I do think some are genuinely enjoying themselves, even if its just because its what they've been led to believe is a 'good time'. Facebook only exists to make Mark Zuckerburg (sp?) money and it does that by selling you an image of yourself you can project to the rest of the world. Thats all a lot of these people are, images of who they want everyone else to believe they are.

There some genuine people about, just as everyone said, really hard to find
    Also, I don't think genuine people are hard to find at all or that its hard to find people that are genuinely having a good time, I don't even understand where some of you people come off judging the genuineness of someone?

Can you look at someone on a night out or in a picture of a night out and say "oh, that person's not actually having a good time they're just pretending". I think its just a load of cynical bull**** really.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't trying to be insulting with that aspergers thing by the way.

But I mean, it seems like you're pretending not to see my point, just like you said, your real friends on facebook and admitedly even yourself have hundreds of pictures tagged. It's because friends like to share pictures with each other...its as simple as that.

And yes on things like myspace where you'll have people you've never met on your friends list, pictures are sort of there to 'impress' other people, but there's really no harm in it at all and people do all manner of things in real life to impress other people, it doesn't automatically mean they're contrived or dishonest.
    I don't think there is harm in it. I just personally find no need to put all your photos of every night out that involved a camera online. That's pretty much it. I rarely add photos, only those I consider worthwhile. I have no problem adding a few, but constantly and consistently? That isn't sharing so much as trying to impress others, like your last paragraph says. Most of the people on your friends list won't have been on that night out.

EDIT: Hope the above wasn't directed at me too i am duck. I never said that. I don't judge whether or not they're having a good time but I'm sure there are some who are more interested in going out and being able to tell themselves their social life is great then genuinely having a good time. I don't go around judging them in bars or clubs though lol. Time can be better spent. :p:

ReputationRep:
    No it wasn't directed at you, while there are people who try to convince themselves they're having a good time by going out all the time, i'm certain its the exception not the rule

ReputationRep:
    as opposed to sitting at home with a take away watching Lost.
    You pretty much described my weekends. But I love it, so it's alright.

I do feel in some way that the scene described by the OP is somewhat strange. Looking at peoples photos on social networking sites, it seems as though many people try so hard to get their pint glass in the photograph, as if to say "YEY LOOK AT ME GUYS, IM DRINKING ALCOHOL, GUYS, LOOK! LOOK AT ME DRINK IT!"

But when I do go out to a party or whatever, it annoys me when people go around with a camera constantly. That kind of thing just puts me on edge, and it seems as though they need photographs to prove to everyone that they're having fun. It almost seems like a competition to gain as much evidence as possible to show everyone else on facebook/myspace that "they're like the kids from Skins too!"

But I dunno, that's not really my scene. I'd much rather have a few beers with a small group of friends somewhere quiet where we can actually talk and laugh. So I guess I can't really comment on the other kind of behaviour seeing as I don't really see the appeal of it and therefore do not understand it. Maybe they ARE just having fun, who knows :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.