Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its strange how its always men who moan about this. So, after millennia of men with power, repressing the other sex, vote, higher pay, favoured job prospects, higher education, political voices, being taken more seriously, now women actually have a chance to shine and have what men took for granted, you want to push them back down again??

You selfish, selfish men.

ReputationRep:
    hey im going to do chemistry which i ave always been brought up as a "male" subject so many times through school i was told to do this or that and not science and maths was unbearable and now i;m going to prove them all wrong and do what i want to not what i'm told.
    i never even knew that i could get extra burseries for doing things like science or maths just because they are percieved as mae dominated subjects. at college both my chmeistry and maths classes have more females then males in them. i dont agree with the whole males and females should be equal we all have different needs and should be given the same opportunities but it is impossible for both sexes to be completely equal for one men cant give birth or become pregnant something women can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)

Therefore how can they justify this, this is open sexism- this is so wrong
    Positive discrimination perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    Its strange how its always men who moan about this. So, after millennia of men with power, repressing the other sex, vote, higher pay, favoured job prospects, higher education, political voices, being taken more seriously, now women actually have a chance to shine and have what men took for granted, you want to push them back down again??
    Only too often does society forget who the real persecuted minority is - The heterosexual white male. :rolleyes:

What on earth is with this indigance that women are given extra help to get into university? If anything, shouldn't you be pleased that they're given a chance to flourish instead of crying about inequality? This is a positive step - Honest to God, sometimes I feel it's less about equality and more about acting like a spoilt child.

ReputationRep:
    No, im annoyed at the men who complain women are being treated favourably, Im saying its good that women get a chance to do things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youmustbekiddin)
    but it is impossible for both sexes to be completely equal for one men cant give birth or become pregnant something women can
    I'm sure if you gave men the choice to give birth, they'd rather not.

ReputationRep:

You selfish, selfish men.

Ahhh the voice of reason!!!

ReputationRep:
    No, im annoyed at the men who complain women are being treated favourably, Im saying its good that women get a chance to do things
    Is this directed at me? If so, I'm actually wholeheartedly agreeing with you, the huffy bit was just in general

ReputationRep:
    The line of feminist thought that says I deserve the same treatment as a man, yet I demand greater consideration and respect because I am a woman is what sours many people to the whole concept of feminine liberation. If you expect to be given gifts, do you give them yourself? If you expect that he pays for dinner, do you pick up the check the next time you dine out? If I have the same education, the same experience and do the same job as you, a male, of course I will demand to be compensated equally. Nothing is wrong with opening doors, buying flowers or paying for dinners, but don't open my door because I'm female, open it as a courtesy to another human being. Buy me flowers or gifts not because I'm female, but because you want to express your affection for me. Pay for my dinner not because I'm female, but because you feel like doing something nice for me. And, expect to receive the same treatment in return for the same reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I've never received any special treatment for being a woman... in fact I've worked in jobs where I get paid £8,000 less than the men and yet I'm the only one who worked in management and trained up the blokes (it was mostly blokes who worked there), and I didn't need to be sent on any training courses (saving them money too!)

I've certainly never seen funding /projects or 'extra days' for women at any point in my life (I'm 36).

also, just because one idiot in power thinks that the little girlies (in his own head) need extra help that doesn't actually mean that women do... it's just someone in power is an idiot and looks down on people for silly reasons - they tend to be racist too - ie: everyone who isn't like him is inferior, which in my book means they are not very bright and can only function on ego!

I do find those type of women (spice girls anyone!) who go on about equality and then stand there sceaming/ranting and expecting everything done for them... girl power? more like spoilt little cows 'power'. I don't like the feminist thinking to hate all men etc there are plenty of horrible people who come in male, female and come from all over the world.

as for wanting chivalry too - well, the only blokes who have ever been like to me are 80+ year old gents.. so it's not something I've ever expected myself... plus do people really let doors go and smack the face of the person behind them if they are male or looks like a feminist.. I'll open the door for anyone ... it's called being polite and not totally ignorant! (hate it when 20 people just waltz through and don't even look at you.. how used to slaves are they!!)

well, that's my half pence worth ;-)

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't be saying that if you were on the guys end of it.

I'm all for equality and stuff, but it's being taken so far it's coming out the other end, giving guys the bum deal and treating women more favourably. The whole idea in the first place was to get rid of the offset, we haven't got rid of that, we've just given it to women instead.

And your argument, that's just pathetic. It's good women are finally being given chances? If you just meant to the point of equality, fair enough I've taken what you've said the wrong way and I'm sorry, but by the sound of it through this thread, you're talking about being given extra opportunities than men get because of how women have been treated in the past.

I'm not saying it was right for women to be treated how they were, but you wouldn't be in favour of all black people being given a 10% pay rise over what white people get to make up for slavery, why is this any different? Because you're benefitting from it?

Both men and women should be treated exactly the same from official stand points. Sure socially, there's differences. Guys aren't going to want to go shoe shopping with you, and women won't want to go down to the pub to watch footy. (I am aware those are generalisations, but you understand the point I'm trying to make.) There are differences that need to be understood from that stand-point, but from the official standpoint, which is what this thread is looking at, it shouldn't matter in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlybob)
    I'm not saying it was right for women to be treated how they were, but you wouldn't be in favour of all black people being given a 10% pay rise over what white people get to make up for slavery, why is this any different? Because you're benefitting from it?
    This isn't exactly the same thing though. Physics students are desperately needed. Subsidies are being given to encourage more people to take physics. Girls are hugely under representated, so they are targetted (although men can apply for these grants too). I don't see the problem.

It's nothing to do with how women were treated in the past. It's to do with the fact that women are highly under represented in the fields of physics etc. and the government need more physicists in general! it's not a personal attack against men or trying to show "girl power" or anything. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    This isn't exactly the same thing though. Physics students are desperately needed. Subsidies are being given to encourage more people to take physics. Girls are hugely under representated, so they are targetted (although men can apply for these grants too). I don't see the problem.

It's nothing to do with how women were treated in the past. It's to do with the fact that women are highly under represented in the fields of physics etc. and the government need more physicists in general! it's not a personal attack against men or trying to show "girl power" or anything. :rolleyes:
    Oh yeah I was talking about Botticello then, not about the whole targetting women thing. I know that this is nothing to do with the past.

I don't have a problem with it being targetted at a certain group, so long as it's equally available to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmintyx)
    No, feminism was women being forced fed in prison and dying as they fought for women's right to vote. Since when in history were men denied an education and the right to vote based solely upon their gender? (not taking into account other social circumstances).
    Feminism is not 'anti-man'. Don't be so ridiculous, that is quite clearly a contradiction in terms.
    ok so what is modern feminism.

What are they fighting for exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle0509)
    feminism is not necessarily an attack on men. its more about equality for men and women.

i do not know enough about the bursaries to talk about them as this is the first i've heard of it, but i dont see a problem in trying to encourage people to take a subject that are underrepresented
    but thats exactly there point, they encourage women to take a subject where they are under represented whereas do you see anything encouraging men to do nursing/drama.

THIS IS SEXIST, IT CANNOT BE JUSTIFIED USING THE UNDERREPRESENTED ARGUMENT - IT DOES NOT WORK BOTH WAYS

ReputationRep:
    In turn, there is no point for men to argue this point at all, because no matter how valid the argument, men will always be wrong and women will always be right. This is the way the world works and until you give into the 'even when your right, you're wrong' strategy, you won't be considered successful with women and you won't be getting any any time soon. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    but thats exactly there point, they encourage women to take a subject where they are under represented whereas do you see anything encouraging men to do nursing/drama.
    Yes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/746218.stm

Admittedly this is eight years old but there's still a shortage and I've heard numerous pleas and schemes by both the Royall College of Nusing and RC of Physicians to encourange men into nursing.

My uncle is a nurse, I still remember the ridicule he got when my cousin told the class. Mind, we were only eight. At least when I told them my father's occupation they couldn't pass comment as they had no idea what it was (engineer).

I think most still don't.

Similar schemes go for getting males into childcare

http://www.teachingexpertise.com/art...workforce-1041

If still on a smaller scale.

Gosh. I've just realised how both of my parents had stereotypical jobs. Mother was a childminder, father an engineer. I deserved more.

ReputationRep:
    feminism is not necessarily an attack on men. its more about equality for men and women.

i do not know enough about the bursaries to talk about them as this is the first i've heard of it, but i dont see a problem in trying to encourage people to take a subject that are underrepresented
    No, that's egalitarianism.

As far as I'm concerned feminism and masculinism create more seperation than equality.

ReputationRep:
    All ive heard about is trying to encourage women into engineering and science because there arn't many girls in those areas, and they are areas which havn't got many people going into them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    and the fact that subjects are male dominated or female dominated is the problem ...it shouldnt be that way
    Bull****.

I agree that men and women should feel free to enter whatever profession they feel like and not feel uncomfortable because they're a man or a woman, but it doesn't mean that there's something wrong with male or female dominated professions.

It should mean that more men or more women are drawn to a certain profession. Obviously yes, with some professions', men or women are made to feel uncomfortable because of their sex, but if that wasn't the reason and the reason was simply that one sex is drawn towards a particular profession more than the other, then there'd be nothing wrong with a single sex dominated profession.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.