Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The OP is ridiculous. I am 18 and not eligible for EMA. I work at least 10 hours a week to save up for my summer holiday etc and the only money I get off my parents is £10 a week dinner money which I supplement myself (they think I should take packed lunches). They do pay for textbooks etc when I need them because I'm not eligible for EMA but that's it.

You (OP) are a very spoilt little brat and should be much more grateful. Your grandparents don't have to let you live with them, they could put you in care - then where would you be (probably not on holiday I'll bet). It is not that difficult to get a job, but you seem like the kind of person that thinks everything should be put in their lap - I really can't imagine someone like you washing stinking pots in a busy restaurant.

Yes this post is possibly a bit harsh but people like you really piss me off. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    clothes-wise, i doubt he pays for his own
    he's getting in a strop over not getting money for food + travel which should be coming from his ema (effectively funding his holiday)

and i doubt he has very short cold showers, he's using electricity by using the computer and i bet he uses electricity/gas to cook. he gran obviously pays the food bill

you can live over someones roof and cause little cost but unless you have financial experience you take it for granted; university students and people who have had to work for their lifestyle will only know this

i know most of this is assumed, but its a good educated guess
    Oh I agree; if his grandmother is paying for everything at home and his money is just going in the bank for some holiday, he is in the wrong. I'm just saying we don't know all the facts so we shouldn't be quite so harsh on him :p:

ReputationRep:
    Have you nodded off OP?!

How much is this holiday, do you buy your own clothes? If no, then quit the whinging!

*Back Peddles* :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Granted these are all assumptions, but you can see how you can live in someone else's home for essentially nothing.
    Indeed, but you have to wonder who paid for the laptop - I'm guessing he didn't save his EMA for it since that's going on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I went quiet because i was thinking...is it too much to ask for £22 a week for dinner money and a bus pass.
    If she gave you £22 and you get £30 EMA you would get more than what I get from my EMA AND having a job. I only get a tenner EMA so technically my parents should be able to afford to give me more money than your grandparents can and they still don't give me anything. You are ridiculously spoilt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Well, to be fair, yes, I was just giving examples. If you think about it like that, yes, but you are being a bit to simplistic with regards energy costs, surely he has lights on, watches TV, has baths/showers, has a heated room which otherwise would not need to be, etc. Also, if you have finished your school education (don't know if the OP has or not) then you are not a student until you return to uni and council tax is due for those months in between - council made me pay and all. But the point is, if he is 18 and his gran wants him to pay something towards his keep, I think he should. After all, pensions aren't that much really, and if she's been bringing him up for a while, she'd have almost certainly bought him clothes.

Marcus
    We can't assume that he spends all his time watching TV. He might watch it with his grandmother, in which case there's no extra cost. The room would be heated anyway as extended periods of cold do damage - the heating might go down a bit but it wouldn't go off. And he is still a full time student from the sounds of it. Also, why should the child tax credits pay for historic purchases? When I graduate and start earning, would you expect me to pay back the tens of thousands I theoretically owe everyone for raising me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)

your ridiculous
    most of the people who dont get EMA live on a lot less
    you dont deserve the money your given; you dont appreciate it and you dont use your ema for anything constructive

ema is intended for your college expenses, not for a bloody holiday

i get ema, pay for my own textbooks, travel, food AND going out

learn the value of a pound and stop being a child, otherwise you'll be very surprised when you go to university and you wont be spoonfed

EDIT: what should happen is your grandparents dont do anything for you; you pay for your on electricity et al then they give you all the money they recieve on your behalf; then you'll see how much it truly costs
    :ditto:

I don't get EMA at all, and can't work due to taking 6 A Levels. My mum just gives me £2 for lunch every day and I deliver papers of a weekend to fund bus fare. That's all I have, and I make do without any money for clothes, books, fun, because I have to. I wish I could go on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    OP, give us a list of your outgoings so we can see how much of a spoilt brat you are please, i bet you do nothing for your grandmother

i'd like to add that this is whats wrong with the ema system; it should be provided in terms of free textbooks, travel and food not cash into someones bank account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suek)
    Indeed, but you have to wonder who paid for the laptop - I'm guessing he didn't save his EMA for it since that's going on holiday.
    I think we can safely assume the laptop/computer whatever didn't come from his grandmother's child tax credits, which is what the argument is about. Making more assumptions: he could have an eee pc, which maybe set him about £300. That's looking more feasible now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abi_gail)
    If she gave you £22 and you get £30 EMA you would get more than what I get from my EMA AND having a job. I only get a tenner EMA so technically my parents should be able to afford to give me more money than your grandparents can and they still don't give me anything. You are ridiculously spoilt.
    He doesn't want to stop spending the 3 quid a day as his mates will take the piss out of him. He should save 15 quid ifhe did weekly!

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I'm not trying to support the OP: I'm just pointing out that our perspective on his spending could easily be completely off, so perhaps there's no need for some of the hostility which has been thrown around in this thread so far!

ReputationRep:
    I was supporting him, but now the facts are surfacing, I'm not too sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    I think we can safely assume the laptop/computer whatever didn't come from his grandmother's child tax credits, which is what the argument is about. Making more assumptions: he could have an eee pc, which maybe set him about £300. That's looking more feasible now.
    I guess I just find it easier to jump to the conclusion that someone bought a computer for him for use on the internet, considering everything else here. Just can't help but feel that the OP feels certain things are a "given" and for what? Because he was born?

Well, whichever way the cookie crumbles. The Government did NOT introduce the EMA so 18 year olds could use the money to have a free holiday on taxpayers' money!!

ReputationRep:
    OK lol am a he...

And the pocket money? no its £3 a day for dinner and £7.50 for a weekly bus pass.

I then get EMA which i am saving for a holiday, which i also use to contribute to my daily spends...parties etc.
    Erm, excuse me, but doesn't EMA stand for Education Maintenance Allowance? Your EMA can quite easily cover your lunch costs and buss pass, with £7.50 change, so I don't see what your problem is. The £30 a week isn't given to you to create a holiday fund, nor is it to allow you to go out and party.

I hope your grandmother puts you on a diet of bread and water so she can put the benefits/credits or whatever she gets for you into a holiday fund.

Raz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suek)
    I guess I just find it easier to jump to the conclusion that someone bought a computer for him for use on the internet, considering everything else here. Just can't help but feel that the OP feels certain things are a "given" and for what? Because he was born?

Well, whichever way the cookie crumbles. The Government did NOT introduce the EMA so 18 year olds could use the money to have a free holiday on taxpayers' money!!
    Granted! :p:

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

I really don't get how hard it could be to fund yourself. Your EMA is there to cover the college-related expenses you might incur - so if you used it for your dinner money and travel costs instead of hoarding it, why couldn't you then get a job to pay for your holiday?

EMA didn't even exist when I was in sixth-form, so my parents covered dinner money as and when I ate in school (not very often); I walked home so had no need for bus fare (though I accept that it isn't possible for everyone to walk home) and I worked over twenty hours a week in two jobs for most of year 13 to pay for my holiday. If EMA had existed, I guarantee I wouldn't have been given any money for dinner, and rightly so - that money isn't there to line your pockets, it's there to cover college-related expenses.

*shrugs*

I don't understand how you can complain about not being able to go on holiday when you're not even prepared to foot the bill yourself.

I buy all my own clothes, pay for my own internet, hardly eat at home, the only electricity i use is my PC, some TV, and daily shower. I pay for all my pleasures such as games etc

£22 a week out of £30+from child benefits and child tax credits i thing is OK.

As for the person who spoke about taxes i have had 2 jobs and both i paid a lot of taxes. One job i left to join 6th form ,the other for over Christmas to buy things for myself.

Holiday was £305 for flights etc...thats been paid...yes i saved very hard.

Spends is what am now saving for.

I can't take a packed lunch to school...people would take the piss.

We're by no means a poor family, its just she likes to have these big rants and probably thinks nothing of it but they really get me down. Asking for money in the morning to go to 6th form is a very daunting thing...i could get anything from a polite "its on the mantle piece" to a bitter "****ing paying for this again" the latter will then make me feel bad during the rest of the day.

We as a family are not poor at all, we all do very well but her rants are beginning to really grind at me.

I bought the PC am using, all the things that come with it. I bought the clothes i wear, the shoes i wear. It was an expensive PC and things for it don' come cheap. As an IT student i have to have good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    We can't assume that he spends all his time watching TV. He might watch it with his grandmother, in which case there's no extra cost. The room would be heated anyway as extended periods of cold do damage - the heating might go down a bit but it wouldn't go off. And he is still a full time student from the sounds of it. Also, why should the child tax credits pay for historic purchases? When I graduate and start earning, would you expect me to pay back the tens of thousands I theoretically owe everyone for raising me?
    I was merely making the point that the CB would have paid for those things in the past had he been living with her for a while, bringing greater expense than now. Whether he was or not isn't exactly clear, but likely since he says he lives with his gran. It's a bit crazy to say that I would suggest that he needs to pay people back for bringing him up though.

Marcus

ReputationRep:
    She pays for my buss pass for 6th form (£7.50per week) and dinner money (3.00 per day). I get £30 a week EMA and am saving for a holiday in July.
    Okay so currently your grandmother pays £15 + £7.50 = £22.50

Child benefits, assuming you are the eldest child, are £18.80 a week. Therefore she is already spending all this AND MORE on you, without even taking into consideration the roof over your head, the food you eat, the water you bathe in etc etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.