Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm academically very successful - straight As at GCSEs and A Levels; a First Class degree from an Oxbridge university. A Masters from the LSE. I'm athletic and sporty. I have a wide circle of friends. I will be starting a high-flying career in the City and, not surprisingly, I must have a great personality to be able to work in Corporate Finance. I commonly get comments about my handsome looks.

I'm conscious about how certain people behave when I am introduced to them - some are really nice and others are openly envious. The nice ones tend to be the women - some are really turned on by my achievements and the potential of my status. But I'm puzzled about the ones who are envious. Why should they need to feel that way about someone successful? They've worked extremely hard and have had to make a great deal of sacrifices.

Finally, would it make others even more envious if I were to get engaged to a hot, intelligent woman?
    A wide circle of friends - acquaintances, friends, hardcore friends...

You can be athletic and sporty (sporty can mean anything) but still **** at sport - one may be in the possession of all the latest, cutting-edge sporting equipment, the latest Wilson racket or pair of Adidas football bootz but does one genuinely possess an excellent sporting touch? Innit.

One may very well attract the attentions of women - is this down to your looks or rather down to their gold-digger chances...?

A 'hot, intelligent woman' - what's hot and intelligent to one, isn't hot and intelligent to another. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder innit :cool:

My two scents :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    well you would say that, you're from Richmond...:p:
    Yes..^o) So people from other areas have more reason to sit and whine about people who are perhaps better off financially?! It's a waste of time envying anyone else for anything, especially if you're just going to envy them and do nothing about becoming more like them if they have qualities you wished you had. I can't stand people who think its their right to whine. If you want something someone else has, go out there and get it for yourself, don't fall back on hackneyed excuses like 'but they have more money', it's lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fone)
    work hard, play hard.
    Amen.

OP, GCSEs mean absolutely, sweet **** all. It's like showing off your DVD collection, it means nothing and just shows you're a geek. I don't know how old you are, so I'll assume a college person. Know, right now, that you don't need great GCSE results to get into decent universities, maybe not Oxford or whatever, but universities like Durham, Loughborough, Manchester, Liverpool, etc. So, don't worry about that. You just need to realise, when you're in class, you pay attention and try to keep up. Laugh and joke all you like, but you're in there for a reason, you might as well meet the purpose.

Regarding your personality: Read books, watch Jimmy Carr, don't be afraid to be politically incorrect and speak your mind when you're with people. We can't teach you how to be funnier, but we can inspire you with some material :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I had a friend like that. He got straight A's at GCSE, was head boy, got 41 IB points, now studying at Cambridge, was captain of the county debate team, grade 8 on the violin, was drop dead gorgeous with an incredible baratone voice, as well as being hilariously funny and extremely popular.

And he used to fancy me but i was too scared to go for it.

...Gutted

ReputationRep:
    Its all about having a balance I do well in school, Im head boy and Im involved a lot in the school community, and I still manage to have a really good social life - going out with friends, going to house to parties etc WORK HARD AND PLAY HARD is my motto!

ReputationRep:
    You could start by not asking people on a forum!

Grow a pair and stop feeling sorry for yourself, get a life!

ReputationRep:
    Work hard, play hard.

That is all you need to know.

ReputationRep:
    I think that all of this 'envying people' stuff is really a bit too much...when nobody is perfect and everyone has worries, fears and insecurities. That may be the insecure person in me...but if you ever want to envy someone...chances are they have as many problems as you. Perhaps not in the same areas, but people are just people like you.

I would say that I know maybe only one person who fulfils all of those traits (everyone else is either very clever but socially ******ed or vice versa). But he would never ever admit to any of this and he is full of constant self-doubt.

The people who are very clever and witty etc are also sometimes extremely lonely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I guess I fall into the bracket of 'People who are hated for being good at lots of things', which seems to be what this thread is about, but I don't think it's particularly a time management thing. I do really well academically without working hard, do lots of sports, spend a lot of time with friends and do plenty socially, and like to think I'm a pretty interesting person, but at the same time I'm one of the most disorganised people I know. I guess it's just confidence, though there are elements of natural ability, especially in things like academic acheivement (if you're not putting in mad hours, that is).
    Several people have told me they hated me because I happen to be good at stuff...

I'm just a normal girl though, getting on with doing what I want to. As long as you're happy and do your best to live up to your own expectations you shouldn't care what anybody else thinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm academically very successful - straight As at GCSEs and A Levels; a First Class degree from an Oxbridge university. A Masters from the LSE. I'm athletic and sporty. I have a wide circle of friends. I will be starting a high-flying career in the City and, not surprisingly, I must have a great personality to be able to work in Corporate Finance. I commonly get comments about my handsome looks.

I'm conscious about how certain people behave when I am introduced to them - some are really nice and others are openly envious. The nice ones tend to be the women - some are really turned on by my achievements and the potential of my status. But I'm puzzled about the ones who are envious. Why should they need to feel that way about someone successful? They've worked extremely hard and have had to make a great deal of sacrifices.

Finally, would it make others even more envious if I were to get engaged to a hot, intelligent woman?
    Yeah?

Well if you were a lollipop you'd be sucking yourself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.