Turn on thread page Beta

Rant - Traffic Jams :@ watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes... It's acceptable, but for 99% of the time, proper planning means there is no need. If that does happen and it is possible to do so, you're safer to pull onto the hard shoulder and build up speed there (Unless your car can do a very quick 0-60). I'm not sure of the legality, but that seems the safest thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Yup that's what I'd do. I was just shocked that an instructor wouldn't focus more on preventing that from happening rather than just saying it's 'ok' which nervous learners will probably rely on (my friend did).

ReputationRep:
    It probally means that in context of the fact that motorway traffic on the motorway is dead still?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    It probally means that in context of the fact that motorway traffic on the motorway is dead still?
    If you're talking about what I said, no. Supposedly my friend was told that if there isn't an appropriate opportunity to join moving traffic she should stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    How is braking on a motorway taught in everyday driving

But still the minority remains that they dont know how to drive on a motoway correctly, something needs to be done imo as thats what causes traffic jams for no reason etc
    motorway braking is simple keeping a safe distance from the car in front - which is highly tested and taught for the normal driving test. just because its on the motorway doesnt mean its any different kind of braking :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yet so many people dont know how to slow down or speed up with the traffic on the motorway :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    As you may gather i spend alot of times on motorways, I needed to head towards Wakefield on the m1 and my god I am sick of the traffic jams caused for no other reason than people braking when ,frankly, its not needed.....

Ask any muppet motorist what's the first thing they do to slow down and they will invariably tell you "Brake" - Wrong!

I so wish they'd simply take their foot off the throttle, plan ahead, anticipate, leave a decent distance between you & the vehicle in front and the anchors may well not be needed.

Alas, people are like lemmings - they see a brake light and without reading the situation, follow suit. This imo results in a "ripple effect"; traffic decelerates too quickly, bunches up and before you know it everybody has ground to a halt. Smooth the flow; take your foot off the gas, let friction & hills slow you naturally. Think of the fuel savings not to mention less wear & tear on the brake pads.

Look at this youtube video to understand more - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M

rant over /

amen to that!

ReputationRep:
    god bless you son!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    That's why the recommendation for car drivers is to take regular breaks, and it's complusary for heavy goods and tacho'd vehicle drivers to do so.
    4.5 hours max driving before a 45 min break, so not that much different to the 5 hours mentioned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark1010)
    4.5 hours max driving before a 45 min break, so not that much different to the 5 hours mentioned!
    That#s the law. A hell of a lot of large haulage companies really come down hard on their drivers if their tachos read more than 3 hours between breaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    That#s the law. A hell of a lot of large haulage companies really come down hard on their drivers if their tachos read more than 3 hours between breaks.
    Fair enough, i don't know much about haulage companies, i drove the other most hated vehicle on the road, a PCV. I guess the benefit of driving a truck is that the cargo doesn't start moaning when you have to stop for a break as its taken you 5 hours to drive from Southampton to LHR, or can't leave on time because you were late arriving etc!

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in getting worked up, you are not going to change anything. Just one of those things that happens in daily driving. Exactly the same as tailgaters, speeders, people driving too slow, painful drivers, careless/dangerous driving, non indicating drivers, and so on.

Can't do anything about it, so don't get worked up about it, get on with driving your car and then you become less stressed and enjoy driving more. Laid back driving is the way forward...

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.