Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitomessence)
    Exams.
    :ditto:

that and my granddad has just been put into hospital and may never come out . . *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Just because people have a stable life, good grades, friends it doesnt mean they dont get depressed. If they are going to get good grades it probably because of that, that they are depressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dealbreaker)
    Because there's no dishwasher when you need one; my tumble dryer's broken down so I have to spend time hanging up my washing; isn't it ironic - don't you think. A little toooo ironic...

I woke up this morning and my fridge is empty and the milk's out of date. The cheese is mouldy. So for breakfast I'm having toast with mouldy cheese and coffee in sour milk. It's not that bad, actually, except my stomach doesn't feel right...

Raef's not in the final of the Apprentice but it's not so bad because still in the running are a caveman who thinks he's living in the Jurassic era, a closet transvestite and a tellytubby with her mother.

The world's so A OK.
    i feel your pain :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren12345678)
    This kind of idea frightens me. I'm not entirely sure i agree with it...but, what does that mean anyone has anything to look forwar:confused: d to?
    If we're unable, as a nation or a world, to be happy with anything we've got , what really is the point!?!
    Its obviously possible to be happy in this day and age because many peope are.

You can still structure your life so you're very sociable, you build close relationships, play sports, be creative, try to ignore pressure. I think its just harder than it once was. Its not generally a lifestyle you fall into anymore either because from a young age kids nowadays are sat infront of the TV for hours, not allowed to play outside and warned all strangers are a danger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bitterendx)
    Loads of reasons why people are depressed.

You might not know everything about someones life. And there could be massive things hidden that really brings down said person, to an extremely low point. I suffer depression, and I get really angry when people who've had a bad day say they're depressed. Because I know they're just over reacting.

I feel sorry for everyone who suffers for depression, it is defiantly not a nice thing. And most definatly not a 'bout of sadness'
    same. My friends no that i'm not exactly myself at the moment and they just think i'm having a low point that has lasted like well half a year. They don't realsie i'm actully depressed i dont think but they no im seeing a counseller about it.
    And they will often say. 'I know how your feeling' - which ok they're trying to be nice but it really gets to me because they really don't know how i''m feeling.
    And then the about of times they say they're depressed because of an exam or not being able to get hold of gig tickets really gets to me. And i never no if i should say something..
    But hey, I supose people aren't as aware as mental illnesses as they are with cancer for example.

ReputationRep:
    Self diagnosis and being emo.

The actual number of cases has probably stayed pretty constant.

ReputationRep:
    Had anybody considered that perhaps people who ARE depressed aren't comfortable with being discussed, and people implying that they're attention seeking emos? Many people have perfectly good reasons for being depressed, and it's not up to other people to judge them for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Self diagnosis and being emo.

The actual number of cases has probably stayed pretty constant.
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisofsmeg)
    Had anybody considered that perhaps people who ARE depressed aren't comfortable with being discussed, and people implying that they're attention seeking emos? Many people have perfectly good reasons for being depressed, and it's not up to other people to judge them for it.
    Indeed, this thread is almost all so far completely full of ****. Anyone who says depression is 'over-diagnosis' or attention seeking has obviously not experienced it.

Its a medical condition, your mind is a mess and unable to function as normal, thoughts come into your head that you cant control until you no longer feel yourself or have any idea what 'yourself' is. If you have the strength to try and carry on with life you certainly cant carry on as normal..

I have no idea what the real reasons behind my depression are.. but its something along the lines of the world being a **** place to live in. People are in misery, species are dying, the world is going to waste, all because of us and our selfishness and consumerism, yet we are completely trapped.. Its impossible to live in the UK without putting money into the pockets of the big corporations who have caused the state we're in today. But nobody cares.. people care more about whats on TV or how cheaply they can buy a t-shirt.. even the NHS who is there to 'help' is pushing the latest in money-making drugs which may or may not work, but cost £7.10 each time.

I'll stop there.. because i could go on for hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    I have no idea what the real reasons behind my depression are.. but its something along the lines of the world being a **** place to live in. People are in misery, species are dying, the world is going to waste, all because of us and our selfishness and consumerism, yet we are completely trapped.. Its impossible to live in the UK without putting money into the pockets of the big corporations who have caused the state we're in today. But nobody cares.. people care more about whats on TV or how cheaply they can buy a t-shirt.. even the NHS who is there to 'help' is pushing the latest in money-making drugs which may or may not work, but cost £7.10 each time.

I'll stop there.. because i could go on for hours.
    Sorry if I'm being insensitive, but surely then, everyone is in the same situation?

Become a hermit in the outer hebrides...sorted...

ReputationRep:
    yes but some people obviously care more than others. I feel a responsibility to look after the world we live in, and everyone/everything in it and this is more important to me than anything else.. where as other people go after money, success etc regardless of whats around them.. it feels like im running the other way in the marathon.. Im not saying that im right and everyone else is wrong, or that i should feel like this, just that this is both the cause and the result of depression for me.

being a hermit would be the selfish answer, but to have any input you have to work from the inside.. though trust me, I think about running off to live in a forest all alone pretty much every day.

ReputationRep:
    nearly everyone will experience depression at some point in their lives so i dont see why every one finds it so hard to believe that people on here are depressed.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of pressure in society nowadays and certain things that you have to do to be considered "normal"- gotta get good grades, get a good job, have a partner, be thin etc etc. Doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    Money can't buy happiness. Common saying. But why is it true? Well, people who have a lot of money spend it on drugs, get momentary pleasure, become ill, lose their fame and status and then ******* off out of this world slow and painfully. Sad, stupid *******s. And yeah I agree with Hannah^ as well. But I wouldn't say that you need a partner to be happy in life. Providing I live my life honestly and safely I'll be a happy man I am sure. And so will many of you guys.

Good luck to you all

ReputationRep:
    i guess there's just loads of pressure nowadays.
    funny i should stumble across this thread, cuz my aunty had a mental breakdown last month and was referred to a mental hospital for 2 weeks
    luckily she's recovering now, bless her!

ReputationRep:
    Not enough e and and electro.

ReputationRep:
    yes but some people obviously care more than others. I feel a responsibility to look after the world we live in, and everyone/everything in it and this is more important to me than anything else.. where as other people go after money, success etc regardless of whats around them.. it feels like im running the other way in the marathon.. Im not saying that im right and everyone else is wrong, or that i should feel like this, just that this is both the cause and the result of depression for me.

being a hermit would be the selfish answer, but to have any input you have to work from the inside.. though trust me, I think about running off to live in a forest all alone pretty much every day.

If only there were more people like us. I feel the same way.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously actual depression should not be trivialised, but I feel lots of, especially younger people, are self-proclaimed depressives rather than actually being diagnosed. They may be going through a rough patch, and are over-reacting. On TSR the health and relationship section seems to habour many a down teen. They're probs not despressed, just in need of a chat.

I seemed to think my nether regions would be consumed by flesh eating knickers masquerading as my underwear for nearly 2 months after I was dumped, because I couldn't sleep a wink. The idea of gouging out my eyes with a spoon seemed more appealing than the consumption of food, unless it was to spell out his name in my baked beans, I started whimpering anytime I saw an anorak (my ex was a tad geeky) and effort of anykind seemed entirely pointless because there was noone to impress anymore, so why bother living?

Was I depressed? No, I was a pussy. I feel that more and more people out there just haven't come to the same realisation yet.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Its a medical condition, your mind is a mess and unable to function as normal, thoughts come into your head that you cant control until you no longer feel yourself or have any idea what 'yourself' is. If you have the strength to try and carry on with life you certainly cant carry on as normal..
    That's exactly it.

ReputationRep:
    Look at depression as on a scale, from being very mildly depressed to severly depressed, its normal to be very mildly depressed but people seem to be lowering the cut of line further and further on the scale to be a diagnosis of 'depression' requiring treatment. They all had to cope in the olden days without medication, and most would agree they had it harder, so why can't we?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.