Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    CIE seems to be more careful about this - each teacher at my school is issued an individual username and password which can be used to access past papers and mark schemes. (Of course, that hasn't stopped students from stealing teachers' usernames/passwords to get access to it...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Because there are thousands of threads on TSR - maybe even tens of thousands - in which people have asked for, uploaded, linked to, or given out information on past papers. It's not feasible for the mods to clear them all up. Frankly, who'd want to? Edexcel haven't been strict and said "well we're gonna close down TSR then, ner ner", because it's really not that big a deal, but around exam times they're particularly vigilant and will look for people giving out their past papers because of potential cheating (and will ask the TSR mods to do the same), so illegal activity gets caught more often. Simple as that.
    But the exam's over - how can someone cheat?

The exam is now classified as a 'past paper' and thus gaining access to it will give the recipient no advantage and it will not affect exam results.

The posting times are all time stamped, this could be freely checked to show that someone taking a paper on the international date line would not have been able to gain any benefit by going on here - the exam would have finished by the time they had started. If they were late for the exam, it would be noted that they were late and Edexcel should take appropriate actions.

Still the question remains: why was the thread deleted?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    But the exam's over - how can someone cheat?
    I never said the past paper was removed because people might cheat. I said they would spot it while they were on the lookout because of cheating.

The exam is now classified as a 'past paper' and thus gaining access to it will give the recipient no advantage and it will not affect exam results.
    So? Copyright law. Don't be an idiot.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    That's not a search string anyone would ever google if people were obeying copyright law.

I don't see why you're all arguing with me. Someone asked why it wasn't allowed to post various papers on TSR when various others were allowed, and I answered. If any of you doesn't like my answers, you can all bugger off. I'm telling you all this because a few people have asked (meaning they'd actually like to know) and because I find copyright law interesting.
    I totally agree with you here and am gonna condemn myself to death. T'was I in AAM who bugged Acumen telling them to keep consistency about papers being hosted on their website. I even made a set of rules along with xinolisss to prevent confrontations occuring: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...89&postcount=2

Go ahead and neg rep me if you want, but I'm doing what's right here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohanshah)
    The thread has been put in the recycle Bin temporarily until Edexcel have cleared or forbidden for the paper to be put up. Acumen don't want to be sued for breach of copyright.
    (which is probably from AAM).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I totally agree with you here ad am gonna condemn myself to death. T'was I in AAM who bugged Acumen telling them to keep consistency about papers being hosted on their website. I even made a set of rules along with xinolisss to prevent confrontations occur: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...89&postcount=2

Go ahead and neg rep me if you want, but I'm doing what's right here.
    Stop making yourself out to be a ****ing freedom fighter. What you're doing is petty and illegal. It might help a few people who've forgotten to ask their school for past papers, but it's still petty and illegal.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    Stop making yourself out to be a ****ing freedom fighter. What you're doing is petty and illegal. It might help a few people who've forgotten to ask their school for past papers, but it's still petty and illegal.
    Asking for that paper to be removed is illegal???

I thought I was doing Acumen a favour.

I never asked for the thread to be removed either. The simplest way to get around the problem that has arised here, is to illegally host the paper elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    I've always got the impression that posting past papers was like Internet piracy or rape. One of these things that is technically illegal, but no one really cares.
    Hahaha :rofl:
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    The thread hasn't been deleted. Its been moved to a forum that we can't see. As I said before, they're waiting from a reply from Edexcel I think.

Also, putting this paper up will cause problems in the future when next year's group have this paper as a mock. It really isn't going to help students if they simply memorise the papers' answers. Again, if you want to host the paper, host it elsewhere and tell people how to get to the paper without posting the link.

e.g. Host on rapidshare ---> Go to rapidshare homepage ---> type ........ after the URL address.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, these papers aren't in the secure content section, therefore it's easy to access them... therefore it's legal, in spite of copyright law?!
    So if I submitted this page to a search engine, could I sue anyone who clicked on the link under copyright law?
    By the way, I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just interested in copyright law as well.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    So if I submitted this page to a search engine, could I sue anyone who clicked on the link under copyright law?
    By the way, I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just interested in copyright law as well.
    Depends who you have authorised to view the document. If you said on TSR, go look at this... then anyone from TSR could go and take the document legally. If not, they can be sued for copyright infringement. Linking to other places is legal unless forbidden by the place you are posting the link on i.e. TSR do not allow 3rd Party Links so they will consequently be removed.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Depends who you have authorised to view the document. If you said on TSR, go look at this... then anyone from TSR could go and take the document legally. If not, they can be sued for copyright infringement. Linking to other places is legal unless forbidden by the place you are posting the link on i.e. TSR do not allow 3rd Party Links so they will consequently be removed.
    What if I said that everyone on TSR was allowed to go on the website, but no one was allowed to click on the link unless I had given them written permission in advance?
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    What if I said that everyone on TSR was allowed to go on the website, but no one was allowed to click on the link unless I had given them written permission in advance?
    That's all anyone could do then. If they did click the link, you could track their IP and sue them if you were that bothered.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    That's all anyone could do then. If they did click the link, you could track their IP and sue them if you were that bothered.
    But would there be any chance of winning such a case, or would it be thrown out of court?

ReputationRep:
    this whole topic seems silly, if anyone has a rough copy of the marking scheme, please just let us know where it is.

the paper is officially past, so why is everyone arguing about it.

i just want to see the mark scheme, so if i know i got the right answers or an approximate to the right answer.

although it doesn't matter anyway, just some relief to know what kind of mark you can expect to achieve.

isn't that what this forum is all about, to discuss and share views?
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    But would there be any chance of winning such a case, or would it be thrown out of court?
    For someone like Edexcel, they'd win.
    You'd win, but it would be a moral victory in the sense that you lost nothing from someone taking the document. But if it was the map to some gold etc... you'd have a huge case on your hands, not to say you'd be a dumb **** for linking it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndySingh1)
    this whole topic seems silly, if anyone has a rough copy of the marking scheme, please just let us know where it is.

the paper is officially past, so why is everyone arguing about it.

i just want to see the mark scheme, so if i know i got the right answers or an approximate to the right answer.

although it doesn't matter anyway, just some relief to know what kind of mark you can expect to achieve.

isn't that what this forum is all about, to discuss and share views?
    That's a pretty stupid post given everything that's been said in this thread, nontheless, PM me your email and I can email it to you.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by pcok)
    That's a pretty stupid post given everything that's been said in this thread, nontheless, PM me your email and I can email it to you.
    Totally agree with your copmment.

If the person who posted that post before can't be bothered reading the problems arising eith posting ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT MATERIAL, I don't think you should be bothered e-mailing them the stuff.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    For someone like Edexcel, they'd win.
    You'd win, but it would be a moral victory in the sense that you lost nothing from someone taking the document. But if it was the map to some gold etc... you'd have a huge case on your hands, not to say you'd be a dumb **** for linking it in the first place.
    Hmm, it just seems very inconsistent that you can get sued for "making available" copyrighted material but when the copyright holder is making it available themselves then they can still sue someone who accesses the material.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    Hmm, it just seems very inconsistent that you can get sued for "making available" copyrighted material but when the copyright holder is making it available themselves then they can still sue someone who accesses the material.
    Look, Edexcel have terms and conditions for people using their past paper bank. Those are the terms and conditions under which we can be sued. We are in no position to negotiate those terms and conditions.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.