Turn on thread page Beta

is limewire legal? watch

• View Poll Results: is it legal? you decide
    yes
    48.39%
    no
    51.61%

ReputationRep:
    It's only illegal if you're sharing for commercial gain. So it can be argued limewire are commiting a crime, but not the end users.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAv.)
    i dont think anyone is sad enough to download unpublished poems or stories written by random nerds.. so yea it is illegal
    WTH? So what you are saying that there is only two possible uses, and one of them no one will ever do? Seriously, think about what you are saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    a difficult one. its very hard to come to a clean decision.

this kind of thing is very very blurred in the eyes of the law.

certain websites have gotten away with it. they don't host the data they simply link to it.
    It's not difficult, or blurred. It's crystal clear what is and is not allowed. I refuse to post it again though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbolo)
    Why is this thread filled with 3 pages of pretty much the same replies? Do people ever read a thread in its entirity before replying?

EDIT : Lol Rei - as much as I'd like to agree with that logic, would it be ok to kill people aslong as I didn't get caught?
    too many replies longer than two scentences so people skip the big ones out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rei)
    To be honest guys, you're not gonna get caught.. so download away
    not true.

as a heads up, users who choose to have p2p software running in the background when you visit certain official sites, be warned .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoeGeddaBowDeet)
    It's only illegal if you're sharing for commercial gain. So it can be argued limewire are commiting a crime, but not the end users.
    OK, this is just plain weird. Where on Earth did you get this information from?

Do people just think, oh, I don't know the answer, I might as well just make one up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    OK, this is just plain weird. Where on Earth did you get this information from?

Do people just think, oh, I don't know the answer, I might as well just make one up?

i know i do!

ReputationRep:
    It's not difficult, or blurred. It's crystal clear what is and is not allowed. I refuse to post it again though.
    if you study computing laws, you'll find programs like these tend to use loopholes in the law.

besides, the internet is totally ungovernable.

ReputationRep:
    The software is about as legal as VHS recorders having the record button, and DVD burners etc.

ReputationRep:
    :p:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    Date of article: Sunday, october 26th, 2006.

If that was recent, i would agree with you. as it is not, i'm near-certain the law has now been changed surrounding ripping music off CDs and putting them onto an MP3 player.
    Change proposed in Jan 08, so probably not done yet :p:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology.../copyrightlaws

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    Limewire, the software is legal. But what you use it for may not be. It is illegal to download any copyrighted material from it. Other than that, you can use it as you want.

Just as it is legal for you to drive a car once you've got your license, but its illegal for you to speed. Its HOW you use what you've got.

Hope that helps

What this person said.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong.

Wow, there is so much mis-information in this thread.

• It is legal to own file sharing software.
    • It is legal to share files.
    • It is illegal to share copyrighted files, unless the copyright belongs to yourself.
    • It is illegal to share copyrighted files, whether or not one party owns a legal copy of the material. All you purchase is the copy - not a licence.
    • It is legal to back-up files that you legally own, for your own use.

As for why there is a poll at the top of this thread, I cannot work out. Surely a poll is only useful for getting people's opinions? The only thing that this poll can tell you is that 50% of people (so far) does not have a clue what they are talking about.
    Quoted for the answer the OP needs. lets not debate this anymore. the lines are crystal clear about what is and is not illegal.

-Locked-

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.