The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
abcdefg1990
To assume the best applicant is the one who gets As in all modules first time around is a little ignorant considering different situations can cause the brightest of students to receive a B in a module, and if hypothetically an applicant received over 90% in all modules but messed up and got a B in what is often considered an irrelevant module in Decision maths (I don't actually know whether decision maths modules are irrelevant to university maths but that does seem to be the consensus among people on TSR and in school) is it fair to assume this person is less able than other math applicants? I’m not here to criticise IC it is obviously a good university for mathematics, however the policy of all As in all modules without the option of retaking was quite a shock and I most certainly know that I am not the only person who feels this way.

That's true in a way. Although the best applicant isn't necessarily the one who consistently gets the highest UMS, because they don't seem to interview during their selection process, it's the only black and white method of academic distinction between the bright and not so bright.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
sunspoon
That's true in a way. Although the best applicant isn't necessarily the one who consistently gets the highest UMS, because they don't seem to interview during their selection process, it's the only black and white method of academic distinction between the bright and not so bright.

Finally someone understands where I’m coming from :smile: umm Sunspoon I noticed your doing computing, I was just wondering whether you knew anything about the maths and computer science course at IC, and how interviews for that subject are structured, i.e. do they solely ask questions related to mathematics or both maths and computing. I was just wondering because on the website only maths and further maths are a requirement not IT or computing.
Reply 62
sunspoon

Instead of setting silly requirements like asking for loads of A's in maths modules, the should make STEP (which is a FAR better indicator of mathematical ability) compulsory, just like Cambridge and Warwick.
Reply 63
Well in my computing interview they only asked questions on maths. Probably because I didn't do A-levelk Computing. They asked me questions from AS Maths, and they would have asked me about induction if I did FM as well.
I don't know much about JMC interviews but they should be along the same vein as the Copmuting ones, because not everyone will have done Computing A-level.
They teach all the computing stuff from scratch anyway, but Maths really is the key A-level.
Reply 64
Krush
Instead of setting silly requirements like asking for loads of A's in maths modules, the should make STEP (which is a FAR better indicator of mathematical ability) compulsory, just like Cambridge and Warwick.

lol yes it makes sense, but you have to remember that STEP is taken after the main selection process has taken place, so it won't help until the time that A-level results come out. Imperial would have to make lots of offers to compensate for those who didn't quite make the mark on STEP.
Krush

I agree completely!:biggrin:
sunspoon
Well in my computing interview they only asked questions on maths. Probably because I didn't do A-levelk Computing. They asked me questions from AS Maths, and they would have asked me about induction if I did FM as well.
I don't know much about JMC interviews but they should be along the same vein as the Copmuting ones, because not everyone will have done Computing A-level.
They teach all the computing stuff from scratch anyway, but Maths really is the key A-level.

Thanks, I think i'll be applying for that course.
Reply 67
abcdefg1990
Thanks, I think i'll be applying for that course.

Good for you - I've heard the workload is equivalent to doing one and a half degrees though :s-smilie: Rather you than me.
does anyone know if I do a maths and computer science Bsc can I do a masters in just maths?
Reply 69
sunspoon

Because A-level computing is balls. I know I did it.
Reply 70
sunspoon
Imperial would have to make lots of offers to compensate for those who didn't quite make the mark on STEP.

Why is that a problem? All they have to do is adopt a new admissions policy, giving out offers to most people they believe have the potential to do well in both their A-levels and STEP.
Reply 71
Modulus
Because A-level computing is balls. I know I did it.

Exactly. From what I've heard from friends that actually did it, you learn a bit about computer architecture and do a bit of Delphi and Basic, but apart from that it's pretty mundane.

Krush
Why is that a problem? All they have to do is adopt a new admissions policy, giving out offers to most people they believe have the potential to do well in both their A-levels and STEP.

Maybe they just prefer not having to predict the number of people failing on STEP in addition to the number of people failing to meet their A-level required grades?
abcdefg1990
does anyone know if I do a maths and computer science Bsc can I do a masters in just maths?

answer is yes. definite yes.
Reply 73
sunspoon
Exactly. From what I've heard from friends that actually did it, you learn a bit about computer architecture and do a bit of Delphi and Basic, but apart from that it's pretty mundane.

The computer architecture is pretty interesting. I don't know how much is in the course officially, my teacher was pretty good, and so I did a lot of crap which wasn't supposed to be taugh. If I had stuck to the official computing syllabus then it would have been a complete waste of time.
The one good/bad thing about A-level computing that you might miss out on is the project. The main a level project is a humongous pain in the arse, but it is a valuable learning experience. Still its not a biggie, and yes most of the course is pretty boring.
Krush
Fields medallists rarely mean anything (unless there are lots of them in a given department, which is not Imperial's case), it's always good to have them but they represent more outstanding research by one indiviual than that of the department. By the way Donaldson, one of Imperial's Field medalists, did his award winning research at Oxford.

You are right in saying that there's not much between those four unis, though I would personally rank them as follows: Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial. Most mathematicians would agree with this I believe.

I agree with the bold and would not normal pull it up but I was just trying to illustrate to the kid how little they knew about the respective departments. Clearly any Fields medalist basically has his pick of institutions to work at and as such you rarely find them among any but the best departments. Its more a stamp of high quality than a means of distinguishing x from y.
solo2wolf
Google COWI mathematics and you will find many comparisons.

Funnily enough I did and all I found was an engineering company's website :rolleyes: and after around page 3 of the results I still couldn't find what you were on about. thanks for that you actually made me chuckle out loud a little :biggrin:
Reply 76
I applied for Physics '08 got AAAAA in AS and got an offer
Reply 77
.John.
Unless you go to a private school i wouldn't bother if i was you.
I got good grades in my AS levels all AABB (maths physics french economics respectively) My subjects were relevent to the course i applied for (civil engineering) I was predicted AAA for my a-levels. I got invited for an interview (so my personal statement must have been good enough), which in my opion went really well. BUt i still got rejected. They didnt say why, so the only thing i can think of would be that i go to a state school and not a private school. Which, if you think about it, doesn't makes sense becuase, admittidly, the teaching in state schools is worse compared to teaching in private schools, therefore someone getting an A grade is a particular subject in a state school is actually better than someone getting an A grade in the same subject in a private school.

But besides, why do you wanna go to imperial? You would have much more fun at other unis

I went to state school and the let me in

Latest

Trending

Trending