Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    :laugh: He has his uses. Discussion of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy mainly. That's my sole shared interest with him.
    Ahh theres also one shared interest with fathers that you can fall back on to facilitate conversation! Mine is deal or no deal...I don't know why, there's not even much to discuss about it but it somehow works...

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember the last time I hugged my mum or she hugged me, I think 3 years ago... I hugged my dad a few months ago when he was crying.

I was crying (lol seems to be a theme) a few weeks ago and my older bro hugged me and kissed my cheek cos I was bawling my eyes out. I don't usually hug him though, I have another older bro and I hug him slightly more mainly cos we're around each other more. I love both my brothers and hang out with them and go to the cinema or whatever. We're not really a touchy feely family though, at all. My siblings and I all pretty much don't like people in our personal space and stuff... Feels really awkward most of the time with most people...

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and dont kiss my parents on the cheek anymore..depends on how close you are , but perhaps you should get out of the habit before uni and you'll miss them too much.
    As for the brother thing..I'd have no idea I'm an only child..sad huh. But I have a boyfriend so no big deal!! aha.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure it won't be too difficult for you at uni due to the telephone invention.

ReputationRep:
    Never kissed either of my parents. My dad usually greets me with a smack across my head or alternatively a firm hand shake, were a close family but we dont get so emotional.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents created you, there should be no age limit of when you can kiss them !

ReputationRep:
    I don't let my mum touch me, so I think kissing is way too close.

ReputationRep:
    i kiss my parents in greeting ...my siblings too
    but maybe it's more of a cultural thing (asians :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    I greet my dad with a kiss... not my mom though for some reason! I don't find it weird at all, though I only have a younger sister.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the occassion. It was my Birthday a few days ago so I was showering them in kisses as means of thanks! :p: I do kiss them at Christmas and New Year as well, obviously. I don't usually kiss them hello/goodbye, but that might be because I still live at home.

I hug my dad a lot as well, but not my mum, which is weird because I'm actually closer to her! I just feel more comfortable hugging dad. I also still call him 'daddy' a lot of the time; people think that's a bit weird, but meh! I'm still a baby, really.

As for siblings-- I could never imagine cuddling my brother on the sofa, it just seems a bit too couplish for me. However, it may be because my brother is younger than me, and yours is older... so slightly different.

Each to their own. I think the moral of the tale is: do what you are comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss-bexaroo)
    I'm 19, I still kiss my daddy - I'm sure I'll get some jokes made about me for still calling him that, but oh well... I'm a daddy's girl =)
    Nahh I call my parents that as well, more out of habit than anything, I used to be dead embarassed but now I don't care if anyone hears me, my brother says it at home as well. My boyfriend calls his "mums/dads". Stragenly I don't call my brother anything, I hate calling him by his name

ReputationRep:
    whattttttttt why would you be embarassed of kissing your parents, i always say i love them when im on the phone, and theres no need to distance yourself from them, make the most of them while theyre still around, geez, fool

ReputationRep:
    Some people go through a stage of being too embarressed to kiss their parents in front of their mates, but it doesn't last long. I'm 21 and I still regularly kiss both my parents in front of anyone! They are the reason you're here after all

ReputationRep:
    i kiss my nan on cheek, and my sisters (usually when were drunk.. we dont get on well enough to be within a foot of each other sober)

i once kissed my mum on cheek, and missed caught her lips... its put be off since, so now its just a hug.
    i'd kiss close male and female mates too, after a long absence; such as summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookoo_koochoo)
    Nahh I call my parents that as well, more out of habit than anything, I used to be dead embarassed but now I don't care if anyone hears me, my brother says it at home as well. My boyfriend calls his "mums/dads". Stragenly I don't call my brother anything, I hate calling him by his name
    Yay someoen else who does it =)
    I've never been embarassed about it but my friends think it's a bit odd though.
    Can't help it though, he is my daddy XD

And I've got three older brothers! I tend to just call them by thier names though =)

ReputationRep:
    I never kiss my parents. It's just not what we do. We rarely hug as well... although I do hug my mum sometimes, randomly. But my Dad really doesn't go in for close physical contact - he gets so weirded out by it! I tried to hug him once and he looked so shocked.
    At the most, he will pat me on the head, when he is feeling particularly affectionate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very demonstrative with my family. I always hug my Mum and Dad- my brother less so, but we still do. I kiss my Mum on the cheek when I say goodbye. I also call my Dad, Daddy. It's just the way we are I suppose it's different families and what you've been brought up with.

ReputationRep:
    Im not that affectionate towards my family really, my mum always attempts to hug me and stuff but i dont really like it, i kiss my dad on the cheek if hes doing something nice for me or if i want him to buy me something but thats about it. I hug my sisters when i haven't seen them for a while but im more affectionate with to my friends than my family.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I greet or say goodbye to any member of my family it’s usually followed up by a quick peck on the cheek. Hugs are quite frequent too. Both me and my mum enjoy our cuddles together, typically whilst watching some random drivel on the telly. Same goes for my dad; I have no problem resting my head against his belly whilst he glares at the football on TV.

I guess it depends on how open and affectionate your family are.

ReputationRep:
    On the cheek with my mum.

Family init? :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.