Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    4 in george at Asda. They have size 4 all over

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you OP. I am so so insecure about my body because of this. It wasn't a problem at all before I moved to the UK though, I think there is something of an obsession with size and weight here. I always used to know I was thin, but since I ate healthily and and my family all had the same body shape, I didn't mind at all.

I'm 5'9'' a B cup and a size 6. It's probably because of my height, it makes me look thinner than if I was shorter. I wear baggy clothes now because I feel terrible about the way I look, mainly due to ''omg you're so skinny'' comments, etc. It has completely ruined my confidence. Some ***** shouted 'chicken legs' at me once, and I haven't worn a skirt since.

What upsets me most is the fact that in the comfort of my own home, around my boyfriend or my family, I'm fine and happy with how I am. It's just in the 'outside' world I am convinced people are judging me. It's made me so paranoid!

ReputationRep:
    I hate how they go on about 'size zero' in the media. Over here, we don't have 0! It's a 4!

I think the media makes it more of a problem, they make people more focused on their size. I was in America last week, and I have to say, I was oddly happy when I fitted in a size 2 shirt - and I'm a well-adjusted, food-loving, not obsessed with being skinny girl, so I worry about people who are more concerned with their weight. I think it's partly because of the way the media bigs up the sizing issue, before people would be happy to be a size 8.

ReputationRep:
    is size 0 a UK size 4? Or is it less than that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissasaurus)
    It's meant to be the same but I think it's just SLIGHTLY smaller (size 0)

ReputationRep:
    i'm a uk size 4 through my fault of my own and wish i was perhaps a size 6/8 but it doesn't bother me that much. clothes rarely fit me but i just see that as a positive thing as at least it means i can't waste so much money on them lol. and at the end of the day i would rather be a bit on the skinny side than a bit on the fat side. yea, those people who shout things out to me in the street because of my size are darn-right rude but i'm too care-free to give a stuff anyway lol...i'll just openly give them a look of disgust and walk away as i just don't care. they're rarely (if ever) aesthetically appealing themselves anyway so their comments are far from insulting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annie147218)
    i'm a uk size 4 through my fault of my own and wish i was perhaps a size 6/8 but it doesn't bother me that much. clothes rarely fit me but i just see that as a positive thing as at least it means i can't waste so much money on them lol. and at the end of the day i would rather be a bit on the skinny side than a bit on the fat side. yea, those people who shout things out to me in the street because of my size are darn-right rude but i'm too care-free to give a stuff anyway lol...i'll just openly give them a look of disgust and walk away as i just don't care. they're rarely (if ever) aesthetically appealing themselves anyway so their comments are far from insulting.
    How terrible that people shout things at you, for goodness' sake. What scums.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by melissasaurus)
    It is more similar to a UK size 6, in fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Pfff. You lot are all deluded. Now forgive me if i sound harsh but i think you all absolutely LOVE getting "skinny" comments. It is pretty much factual that skinny or thin is whats considered beautiful today, not "curves", and you all know that. Lets be honest, it is far, FAR harder being voluptuous or overweight in this day and age so stop playing victims.

errr..im sorry you have no idea what you are talking about. next

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_vogue)
    I agree with you OP. I am so so insecure about my body because of this. It wasn't a problem at all before I moved to the UK though, I think there is something of an obsession with size and weight here. I always used to know I was thin, but since I ate healthily and and my family all had the same body shape, I didn't mind at all.

I'm 5'9'' a B cup and a size 6. It's probably because of my height, it makes me look thinner than if I was shorter. I wear baggy clothes now because I feel terrible about the way I look, mainly due to ''omg you're so skinny'' comments, etc. It has completely ruined my confidence. Some ***** shouted 'chicken legs' at me once, and I haven't worn a skirt since.

What upsets me most is the fact that in the comfort of my own home, around my boyfriend or my family, I'm fine and happy with how I am. It's just in the 'outside' world I am convinced people are judging me. It's made me so paranoid!

*hugs* dont let them get you down. iv never had anyone shout cruel things at me in the street but iv had the 'skinny' comments before from friends, they never said it in mean way but i always got hurt. anyway i bet you have great legs and she was just jealous. i hid my legs away for years and years and years for that very reason..they only emerged a year a ago and got an amazing response ..its a confidence thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    What im saying is its actually really not hard at ALL being thin, is it. I mean really, its not. Most clothes look good on you, those who are naturally thin dont really have to exercise or watch what they eat (although i think some skinny girls will lie about this)... I cant stand it when thin girls complain about how "skinny" they are. Its a complete farce. I can pretty much guarantee that if you asked a skinny girl whether she wanted to be a size 8 or 16, she would pick the size 8.
    no **** sherlock, but give us a choice of size 8 or 10, then we'd pick 10. and being thin isnt hard (unless you're thin to the extent that you have no butt and boobs - then i can imagine its hard), it is good to have clothes look good on you no matter what, but its really irritating to have people say "ooo youre so skinny!" no one would go up to a fat person and say "oo youre so fat"

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd rather be a size 8 than a 16, but ultimately I'd rather be a 10 or a 12.

ReputationRep:
    Im a 12, and i admit to sometimes wishing i was smaller ...

the one thing i really hate is certain guys making comments about people looking so much better now they've lost weight> For example a girl in my year went from a size 12/14 to a 8/10 and loads of guys go on about how she looks so much better, when infact she was perfectly normal before!
    And i overheard two guys the other day commenting on how a girl had put on so much weight and was getting 'chubby' ... she had went from a size 10 to a 12 ... and she is like 5ft7 ... hardly chubby if you ask me.

ahh it annoys me!

ReputationRep:
    I've been at both ends of the spectrum, and I must say I'd rather be insulted for being too skinny than for being too fat. The fact that I have been big myself makes me care less about people saying I now look too thin but sure it's not nice to get negative comments about anything.
    Last week I was looking at Puma tracksuit bottoms (funnily enough for dossing about in, not exercising) and a rather large woman near by said "look at that skinny b***h, she doesn't need to do anymore exercise she needs to eat a few a burgers." Not the nicest thing she could have said but I can't say I was particularly insulted because she doesn't know me or what I'm really like, and tbh being thin is seen as desireable by a lot of people and a lot of comments are said out of jealousy. The fat comments I used to get were much more hurtful- they were out of pure spite.

ReputationRep:
    I'm size 00. Made that way naturally, I have a super awkward body. You don't want a size 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueoyene)
    no **** sherlock, but give us a choice of size 8 or 10, then we'd pick 10. and being thin isnt hard (unless you're thin to the extent that you have no butt and boobs - then i can imagine its hard), it is good to have clothes look good on you no matter what, but its really irritating to have people say "ooo youre so skinny!" no one would go up to a fat person and say "oo youre so fat"
    Errr ok you've pretty much just repeated everything ive already said, yet saying it AGAINST me.

ReputationRep:
    Im 5ft and size 6/8 , but when i try on clothes that come in S or M, L etc the S never fits and they never have XS. My parents think im too skinny too and when I wear heels it makes my legs look even more skinny. i can fit in the children section in h&m and stuff i buy there sometimes cos its cheaper lol. I have no waist hips or boob and its annoying when i try on strapless dresses or some tops is loose at the bust. I dont even know my bra size, lol, I have been the same weight for some time now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *whale*)
    Yes she would, because she is already a size 8. Everyone looks good in certain clothes if they fit right and flatter your figure. Some skinny girls look hideous in clothes because they have nothing to fill them i.e. Scarlett Johansson vs. Kate Moss in the same dress...I know which one I would rather look like! Yes, fashion is made for skinny, leggy models, but the vast proportion of women in the UK are not skinny, leggy models. The average size in the UK for a woman is a size 16! So there are plenty of clothes for the poor, unfortunates who happen to have thighs larger than our necks. I have a friend who is naturally skinny - size 6 and 6ft tall - imagine! It suits her face and she is healthy and eats well, and looks good in clothes. She wishes she had some of my boobs and bum, and I wish I had longer legs so that I was at least 5'4". Just everybody cam down and worry about the things that matter - like grades, university, a job, family, friends. Not how many inches your waist is.
    I've already repped you for an earlier post you wrote here, and then I read this one, and was about to hit the thumbs up sign again when I saw it was the same person lol. I definately think you're right!! At the end of the day, all women (and men!) are different in shape, weight, height and personality and well, I'd rather embrace that than be upset about it all my life... 'Different' does not mean better, or worse- just different! Yeah everyone wishes they either had bigger boobs, longer legs (which is my one too hehe), etc etc but ultimately, if it wasn't that it would be something else! So just smile , and buy some sexy clothes which flatter YOUR figure, be proud of it.... and live your life!

ReputationRep:
    I can really relate to you, OP, and to the other naturally slim girls in this thread who have talked about how rude people are to them.

I'm afraid it's just one of those things that you have to learn to deal with. Try your hardest at all times to walk with confidence, concentrate on the things you like about yourself, and remember that there are more important things in your life than the way you look. I know there are times when it's difficult to be positive, believe me, but there's no point in wallowing in other people's negativity. As long as you know that you are healthy, that's all that matters.

If anyone ever makes a comment to you about how you're "sooo skinny" - especially if it is a stranger/someone you've only just met - look them in the eye and say "That's a very rude thing to say". If you feel like having a rant, have one. Tell them that it isn't polite to comment on somebody's appearance, to their face, when you don't even know them, and that you find their comments hurtful. I have used this approach a few times on complete strangers who felt the need to comment on my body (telling me im skinny and that i should put weight on), and I felt very empowered when I did it. You shouldn't take crap from people. Stand up for yourself, then hold your head high and move on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressed Chick)
    I've already repped you for an earlier post you wrote here, and then I read this one, and was about to hit the thumbs up sign again when I saw it was the same person lol. I definately think you're right!! At the end of the day, all women (and men!) are different in shape, weight, height and personality and well, I'd rather embrace that than be upset about it all my life... 'Different' does not mean better, or worse- just different! Yeah everyone wishes they either had bigger boobs, longer legs (which is my one too hehe), etc etc but ultimately, if it wasn't that it would be something else! So just smile , and buy some sexy clothes which flatter YOUR figure, be proud of it.... and live your life!
    why thankyou I'm glad someone agrees with me! To be honest, I'm more worried abotu exams and university than how fat my thighs are thanks

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.