Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I spoke to said the exam was harder than previous papers too, let's hope the grade boundaries are low this year (they have varied from 114-118 in the past few years).

ReputationRep:
    yeah we were thinking what would come up and we thought about influences from europe, or catholic opposition, but i was really hoping henry 8th would come up but that was unlikely. anyhow you can still talk about them when you disagree with the assessment. i never thought edward or mary would come up, just because there's very little to say compared to henry 8th and elizabeth.

right what did i say, i said because he was a protestant he could change the country to that, or remain a fairly neutral thingy left by henry 8th, or change it back to roman catholicism again. but he changed it to protestantism which was a 'dramatic' (stupid wordage of the question!) move as it changed the country from catholicsm (i tried to stress that henry 8th was no way protestant, just catholic, but not roman catholic) to protestant. and then i put the only legislation i knew! - act of 6 articles repealed, and treason act repealed. and yes i said the prayer book. but as you said, i said that his reign was too short for it to have any lasting effect on the country. and thrn i could babble on about the settlment and reformation and what not.

my writing with the hitler paper is seriously messy, i hope the examiners will understand it! i didn't like the sources, but the authors were fine. the academic historian is valid bla bla bla, the other one wasnt because she was a nazi and therefore biased. gosh, i really did babble a lot on that one. worst conclusion ever though. i hope the paper doesn't bring my overall mark way down.

our teacher also kept going on about the PESCR factors as she loved to call it- political, economic, social etc. so i tried to write it down in a obvious way to show how it affected, but i don't know. hope it's alright.

Yeah they were being sly, they're seriously trying to confuse us and make us fail! how cruel!

did any one re-sit HI4 by chance? that was much better than the january one. oh well, i'm done with history for life now!

ReputationRep:
    I am going to miss history

ReputationRep:
    History over with FOR LIFE.

The Crown and Parliament Q (foreign policy :/) was okay... Not all that much to write for foreign policy though so I mainly concentrated on other factors like the reformation parliament/revolution in government and religious/economic/political factors etc... I had no time to include many social factors though, meh. And I missed out stuff on the succession... ridiculous time limits -.- Overall it wasn't too bad though, and I managed to write a decent 4 pages in the time we had.

Changing Fortunes of Nazi Party was okay. The sources could have been a lot worse to be fair. Don't know if my attribution/historiography was okay though... I kinda just plonked it in I couldn't say that much for the second source either. I managed to finish it off with a decent conclusion anyway.

I think I need 62 marks from both papers to get an A overall... I think I managed at least 50 in the first and if I did average in the second then hopefully, *fingers crossed*, I've managed to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Witness23)
    I think they went okay, not brilliantly, okay though
    I second that.

Britain was so much easier. I mean, a revisionist and a 'social commentator'; all you needed to do was fill in the blanks on Orthodox and Post-Revisionist in the historiography; and the content section was a nice mix.

Germany though, oh boy... Honestly it killed me. I didn't finish it. I was down to bullet points on the GDR/GFR. And I barely managed to stick in any of the PESCR factors. It was, as far as I'm concerned, a bit of a stinker - 'war'.:mad:

Oh well. I have revision to go to tomorrow for politics, so I'll be avoiding the history department like the plague, just in case they say "How'd it go?", or maybe I'll just run in and throw my old books back at them:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    I second that.

Britain was so much easier. I mean, a revisionist and a 'social commentator'; all you needed to do was fill in the blanks on Orthodox and Post-Revisionist in the historiography; and the content section was a nice mix.

Germany though, oh boy... Honestly it killed me. I didn't finish it. I was down to bullet points on the GDR/GFR. And I barely managed to stick in any of the PESCR factors. It was, as far as I'm concerned, a bit of a stinker - 'war'.:mad:

Oh well. I have revision to go to tomorrow for politics, so I'll be avoiding the history department like the plague, just in case they say "How'd it go?", or maybe I'll just run in and throw my old books back at them:rolleyes:
    Totally agree. I mean "war"? Of course it resulted in political change, what do they really want me to say to that. And I think the throwing of the books is a good idea. Well to the teacher that taught us Germany. All the time we spent in lessons talking about totally pointless things seemed to have an effect on my ability in the exam I learnt far more about hockey than the history of Germany that is for sure.

Good luck with politics!

ReputationRep:
    This went soo bad...
    Basically the relationship between crown and parliament question went fine but the Hitler and German Military.. not so good.

I though the question was amazing so i was flying through the paper but i don't know why in my mind i thought the paper was 1 hour long. I knew that it was 50 mins but i was working to the hour. Then they said '5 minutes left' and i was only half way through!! AHHH!! I just quickly did another paragraph the bullet pointed the rest of the answer... but the worst part of it was that i thought it was so easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Witness23)
    Totally agree. I mean "war"? Of course it resulted in political change, what do they really want me to say to that. And I think the throwing of the books is a good idea. Well to the teacher that taught us Germany. All the time we spent in lessons talking about totally pointless things seemed to have an effect on my ability in the exam I learnt far more about hockey than the history of Germany that is for sure.

Good luck with politics!

Just incase you didn't know:

I went and chatted with those teachers today. They're dead happy with the paper. British history thinks that the paper was a gift [I agree, AJP and Orwell!?], and European thinks it was a good question because we could branch out into the other things because of how war affected them/they caused war.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that the year should have been spent covering our asses and getting every possible question sussed, rather than discussing Crystal Palace, or doing group exercises that degrade into banter.:rolleyes:

(Though, when he went over what I could have included, I was happy with what I put, just not how I'd phrased it - I had the ideas, but communication was poor - I was like a blithering idiot. Hope I get an examiner who's extremely cheery and speaks "nervous moron" :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Just incase you didn't know:

I went and chatted with those teachers today. They're dead happy with the paper. British history thinks that the paper was a gift [I agree, AJP and Orwell!?], and European thinks it was a good question because we could branch out into the other things because of how war affected them/they caused war.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that the year should have been spent covering our asses and getting every possible question sussed, rather than discussing Crystal Palace, or doing group exercises that degrade into banter.:rolleyes:

(Though, when he went over what I could have included, I was happy with what I put, just not how I'd phrased it - I had the ideas, but communication was poor - I was like a blithering idiot. Hope I get an examiner who's extremely cheery and speaks "nervous moron" :p: )
    I thought they might say that:rolleyes:

And I would never have the heart to tell him either, at least you had fun during the year, even though you didn't learn anything

I was exactly the same in my paper. Ideas were there, I was just concerned about whether I was actually adressing the question as I was unsure about the structure tbh so it all kinda came out as a mess Are there actally any marks for QWC? British history teacher is amazing, I did loads of past papers and felt confident going into the exam, but those sources were NOT a gift by any stretch of the imagination!

ReputationRep:
    edward vi/ parliament was not a nice question, screwed it a bit but at least we could just bang on about all the other reigns without any strings attached. Thought the changing fortunes was fine, really the essay you write never changes no matter what the sources, it's basically fillingin the gaps i find.

woo! no more history. Oh wait, i'm doin a degree in it... heh, if it's ANYTHING like WJEC history i'm dropping out in the first week

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.