''Are you Chinese?'' Watch

No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by little_green)
Haha I've had this.
My mum is Filipino but my dad is English and I was born in Warwickshire.
When I worked as a home care assistant one old woman turned to me and said 'I expect you just eat rice, do you?' LOL.
I think someone in a care home said something like that to me...Oh how I tried not to laugh at the sweet little old lady
No Future
Rep:
?
Like omg someone neg repped me. Like, clearly they are cowardly and racist because they didn't even leave their name. Cheers, we have conversed already. :rolleyes:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Faint_x)
ye i feel the same. and just hate it how every single chinese person i walk past has to stare. no im not related to you mate. :l lol
Happens to me lots, but with South Asians. Especially in Southall... :ninja:
Kashya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jim-ie)
I get it every time I open my mouth amongst strangers. Before I speak they ask me where I'm from.

Some people, mainly greeks where I worked for some reason, ask me if I'm Scottish. When I say no I usually get the "Oh, aren't they sort of the same?".

No, it's not, don't suppose you're turkish since its all the same? Thought not.
I get that too. I think the Belfast accent is fairly confusing to a lot of people, but Scottish?! I dont think its that similar..
No Future
Rep:
?
(Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
tbh if you really are chinese you should try to learn your heritage.
Like takeaways in a city 8 hours from home? Or a different language to that spoken by my family?
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People speak to me in Russian whenever I'm in Israel, because I don't look Arab (because I'm half English) and so logically I must be Jewish, and so logically a European Jew.
And someone called me and my aunt a 'Sharmuuta' (Prostitute/Whore etc...) when they heard us speaking Arabic in Jerusalem.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol class post - made my day!
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To any people from Hong Kong (or ancestry) do you call yourself a Hong Konger (cantonese speakers will know what I mean) or a chinese?
BananaWaffles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have to walk through this rough estate because of this bus I get to go to college.

So I'm just walking, and usually, if there are some troublemaking chavs, I know I'm going to get taunted.

But the thing is I forget that I look different to other (stupid) people. I just mind my own business and my ethnicity never really interferes with my life, until I get racist slur thrown at me.

It's just shocking really.
No Future
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vincente)
To any people from Hong Kong (or ancestry) do you call yourself a Hong Konger (cantonese speakers will know what I mean) or a chinese?

Well, English/British firstly.
I'd say HK Chinese
Hanoi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
Walking along in a city I am visiting...

Couple approach me, Oriental lady, white guy..

Lady "Are you Chinese?"
Me ''Well, yeah'' (I'm mixed)
Lady ''Do you know where XXX (some westernised takeaway) Chinese restaurant is?''

WTF? Yes, I am Chinese and therefore know where all the Chinese restaurants are in any given city? It's like saying, ''Oh you're white, therefore you must know where all the English/French/American type eating establishments are."

-----

In a supermarket...

Old man approaches, kinda creepy guy...

man ''nee hao''
me ''eh? sorry?''
man ''nee hao''
me ''pardon? what?''
man ''THAT''S CHINESE!''

OH MY, REALLY? God, you are a bloody genius! Now leave me alone you weird man!

man ''aren't you from china?''
me ''no. i was born in berkshire.''
man ''oh *looks disappointed*''

Wrong language anyway! (HK heritage so if I could speak Chinese, it'd be Cantonese and therefore Jo San or something)....It'd be like me approaching random people in England and saying hello in Welsh or Celtic...

Anyway, I'm not making a specific point. These were just silly and annoying experiences. Anyone else?

Yeah I get this all the time from British people...
and they don't even know that 'Chinese food' is just food for westerners' tastes (as with most 'ethnic' foods in Britain...), Chinese people don't eat Chinese takeaways that would be just weird!

'knee how' :rolleyes: (I also got a Canto 'nei ho' from a random girl on the street, it made me happy )
'are you related to Jackie Chan?' :rolleyes:
'do you know karate?' (followed by 'karate chop' hand action and a 'heee-yaaa!') :rolleyes:
'do you like Chinese food?' :rolleyes:
'what's ____ in Chinese?' :rolleyes:
'are you in the triad?' :rolleyes:

英國人..........
gaijin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by No Future)

In a supermarket...

Old man approaches, kinda creepy guy...

man ''nee hao''
me ''eh? sorry?''
man ''nee hao''
me ''pardon? what?''
man ''THAT''S CHINESE!''

OH MY, REALLY? God, you are a bloody genius! Now leave me alone you weird man!

man ''aren't you from china?''
me ''no. i was born in berkshire.''
man ''oh *looks disappointed*''

Wrong language anyway! (HK heritage so if I could speak Chinese, it'd be Cantonese and therefore Jo San or something)....It'd be like me approaching random people in England and saying hello in Welsh or Celtic...

Anyway, I'm not making a specific point. These were just silly and annoying experiences. Anyone else?
That works the other way as well. Go to Japan or China and people will randomly come up to you (especially if you are female) and start speaking English to you. Because white = English speaking. If they weren't so damn polite and/or are a cute girl, I'd usually tell them to **** off.
Liv~
Report 10 years ago
Ah same experience. People in Malaysia always think there is no Chinese from Indonesia (where I was born). I use to study in Malaysia. And they always think, ah are you Chinese? Can you speak. Well okay I may not speak Mandarin and all, because theres always been a controversy issues about Chinese in my country. And they always think there only maid, cheap labour who is the native indonesian, not the Chinese.

One day when I experiencey my practicuum training at some architecture company.

Postman: "Where you from? Phillipine?"
me : NO, Indonesia.
Postman: " But you are chinese. How come? Are you really Chinese"
me : Yes Im a chinese born in Indonesia.
Postman : " REally? I thought no Chinese in Indonesia"

Yes, I think Indonesian especially the Chinese really look urm, mixed. People mistaken me from Korea, Japan and from the Chinaland. But well, we are coming from the same roots. So, no surprise.
And I just nod, and take the package left him. shut the door.
Jolpie
Report 10 years ago
I don't get that all the time, though I get looks and smiles; though to be honest when I see a fellow chinese person, I usually do the same.

But once in an open day at my school, some couple came up to me and started jabbering away in mandarin or something...I just looked blank for a while and shook my head, then they ran away lol. :rolleyes:
Tut.exe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no im not. but some people callme bruce. lol.
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some people eh
No Future
Rep:
?
To whoever negged me saying, ''maybe you should embrace your heritage more"

Well yes, that's the whole point of my post - it's NOT my heritage!

eg: Takeaways in a city 8 hours from home? (How do crappy takeaways relate to ''culture''??)
A different language to that spoken by my family?

1. I was born in the UK and am essentially British in culture
2. One side of my family is from Hong Kong (Cantonese speaking) as opposed to China (Mandarin speaking)
Sprout_hair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha.. get that all the time..
Even when imjust minding my own business at the tills at work..
See a Chinese person, they ALWAYS ask if your chinese..
And then what happens?
Sprout_hair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh and the classic The Big Issue man in town..
I walk past..
"Konichiwa" - No response
"Ni hao" - No response
"Nai ho" - No reponse
"An nyoung ha se yo" - No reponse
And for the 60th time i walk up this street i am NOT saying hello even if you get the right language!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads