suceeding at begging your firm on results day? Watch

kates:)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
My teacher rang up on my behalf last year, so I don't think there's anything saying that teachers can't ring
Thanks
If I'm in the situation that needs a phonecall to the Uni I'll probably be too upset or whatever to manage it myself!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
My teacher rang up on my behalf last year, so I don't think there's anything saying that teachers can't ring
it's BETTER to ring yourself - there's no harm to having your teacher on hand to back you up or give some more detail from their perspective but it's YOU going to university, it's YOU who will be taught by the admissions tutor on the other end of the phone so it's YOU who should ring up and talk to them.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
it's BETTER to ring yourself - there's no harm to having your teacher on hand to back you up or give some more detail from their perspective but it's YOU going to university, it's YOU who will be taught by the admissions tutor on the other end of the phone so it's YOU who should ring up and talk to them.
That's true (though in my case, the admissions tutor was not an academic tutor), but I had no choice on the day. They rang before I even got through the school gates and then passed the phone over once I arrived
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kates:))
Thanks
If I'm in the situation that needs a phonecall to the Uni I'll probably be too upset or whatever to manage it myself!
Yeah I know what you mean, I was terrified and shaking away when my teacher passed the phone over!

PQ is right though, it's probs better for you to talk to them. Unless you're crying too much.

jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My firm choice interviewed me before giving me an offer. They said it's so that they have "more to go on" if you miss your offer. AND, my offer stated: "we note that you have additional qualifications, which we will be happy to take into consideration, if necessary, in August". I think begging may be well received then! :awesome:
Ferchichi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHH

AGHHHHHHHHHHHH

im so scared

Im gonna beg like ive never begged before!

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
blondyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
so what exactly do i say when i 'beg them'? what would be the best thing to say?
Jamin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've had to do this, i phoned them today (again) and they said i would need to wait till next week to see if there are spaces left.

Im optimistic, if not im going into clearing i guess.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blondyx)
so what exactly do i say when i 'beg them'? what would be the best thing to say?
Explain why they should still let you in!
So that might well involve explain why your exam marks are better than they look. So you might point out:
i) that you only missed out on a higher grade by a few marks
ii) or that you got a much lower marks in one paper than all the rest
iii) or that there is a systematic failure in your school for one of your subject and they are all going to appeal.

More generally review your PS and think how you can summarise your main selling points into a few sentences. Then anything that seems important to the tutor you will be able to expand on.
Rokit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blondyx)
Have you got any extenuating circumstances that would have stopped you getting the grades (that can be backed up by a professional)?

They might want a specific reason why
eDDeboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Could my parents difficult divorce that I've been in the middle of since January be considered as a mitigating circumstance?

I'm not panicking at all about results, even though I know I messed up philosophy and won't get AAB for Ancient History at Exeter. I'm predicted ABB, but reckon I may have got AAC
JW
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dealbreaker)
If it's Oxbridge, no.
Not strictly true. A guy at my school missed his AAA offer last year, phoned up and was accepted, albeit to a pretty irrelevant college.
blondyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Rokit)
Have you got any extenuating circumstances that would have stopped you getting the grades (that can be backed up by a professional)?

They might want a specific reason why

well one of ym teachers is pretty rubbish. in health and socal care double award everyone in my class got UUU for the courseowkr. its being remarked but i dunno if it will get any better because she wasnt that helpful and no-one really understood it.
Rokit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ps7)
i was also thinking of begging to UCL on results day if i dont get ABB
i think i got ABB but an A in eng instead of biology
i dont really know what to say
but ill probably stress that i was only a few marks of an A in biology(hopefully i got an A in eng so ill highlight this)
ill also talk about how much i wnat to go to UCL, and i cant really think of anything else...anyone got any suggestions?
I am going to go out on a limb and say Biochemistry wont mind what order you got it in (unless they specified in the offer conditions of course)

Also KCL Biomedical science will be in clearing for your info
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jamin)
So what do they do if everyone meets their offer then?
Well, on average 80% of the offered candidates will be choosing to go elsewhere.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JW)
Not strictly true. A guy at my school missed his AAA offer last year, phoned up and was accepted, albeit to a pretty irrelevant college.
What is an irrelevant college at Oxford or Cambridge?
reality139
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If on track it says your offer is rejected..just give up or what?
phones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm so scared, i had a dream about this and in my dream they gave me a phone interview soo i'm going to lookover my original interview notes and PS and pre write a speech.
phones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by reality139)
If on track it says your offer is rejected..just give up or what?
oh yeah is this a definite NO or can they change their minds?
inthehat
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by phones)
oh yeah is this a definite NO or can they change their minds?
annd if you dont get ur grades but there letting u in will track still just say accepted or whatever
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (207)
40.12%
No - but I will (32)
6.2%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
46.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise