Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by amldawson)
I always get

'and what exactly are you going to do with that?'

Ruuuuuuuuuude x
'Travel to exotic, sunny countries, have fascinating adventures, meet exciting and interesting people,

and kill them'

Usually works.

(I joke, I joke)
amldawson
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Lol that is a good answer! (minus the killing part lol)
Are you comin to Exy? x
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am. I took a gap year y'see, intending on spending three months diving in Thailand and 6 months soldiering in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, the Afghan plan went tits up thanks to the Army, so I spent 5 months teaching diving and injuring myself horribly a few times.

I'm easy to spot, I'm the one with a jellyfish scar spanning my bicep, and a dodgy limp!
amldawson
Report 10 years ago
Wow you sound quite the character.

What degree do intend to study?
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just Arabic, though I'd like to diversify a bit, but I haven't quite decided yet. I'd love to study Pashto as well, but sadly I don't think it's offered.

Can't wait to start, I'm working full time and it's boring!
amldawson
Report 10 years ago
Well the optional modules will give you some kind of variation.
You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I've no idea what Pashto is P
Where you working? At least you have money! It's hard being a poor student lol
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well the optional modules will give you some kind of variation.
You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I've no idea what Pashto is P
Where you working? At least you have money! It's hard being a poor student lol
Its one of the main languages of Afghanistan, spoken by the Pashtun people.

That, plus Arabic, would make me very useful when I go into the Army full-time.

I'm currently working in a petrol station, bit of a comedown from being a scuba-diving instructor, looking at fish and girls in bikinis all day to dealing with the general idiotic public, but it's all good fun.

I have no money, it's paying my medical bills, and I have no spare time to enjoy what little money I have left! Bring on September!!
amldawson
Report 10 years ago
Sounds awesome. So has your gap year brought you much wisdom to impart to us mere younguns when we get to uni? How much were your medical bills? Bet your scars make you look dead hard lmao x
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sounds awesome. So has your gap year brought you much wisdom to impart to us mere younguns when we get to uni? How much were your medical bills? Bet your scars make you look dead hard lmao x
It's brought me many things, not sure wisdom is the right word, unless you're looking for tips of running away from Thai police or how to get on the right side of the mafia. The medical bills, plus the costs of staying out longer to heal and complete the course... I was looking down the wrong side of 5k a few months ago, thankfully it's a little less now.

Ha, if the jellyfish scar wasn't a dead give away, I've got one bisecting my right side, and then just above my groin, as well as numerous over my arms and chest from 'wreck rash'. It's all good fun! I wouldn't say dead hard, more like dead clumsy! :tongue:
amldawson
Report 10 years ago
Or just lucky not to be dead!
Sounds like you've led an exciting life so far, you not worried that Exeter's gonna be a bit tame for you? x
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Heh, if it's got your name on it... At the moment, working behind a till, life is very boring. I get the feeling university will be a bit more exciting. New people, new places and new things to do, new drinks to drink... Life is as tame as you make it really!
She_Bittersweet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Erm, well when i went to the Manchester open day for Arabic etc, there were about 20 of us (about 4 or 5 guys!) When I went to Cambs there were tons though (

I don't know anyone at my college who's taking it though, and people look at me weird when I tell them what I want to study! Lols x
Are you gonna pick Exeter as ur firm ?
scarlettroxane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeh !!! It annoys me when people ask "Arabic ? Isn't that a little strange ? Why would you want to do ARABIC ?" - wtf ? why do any subject ? Why are YOU doing English or whatever the person asking me is doing

Is everyone here going to be completely new to Arabic or you all know some already ?

Anybody wanting to practise their Arabic with me PLEASE pm me and let's chat ! lol
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scarlettroxane)
Yeh !!! It annoys me when people ask "Arabic ? Isn't that a little strange ? Why would you want to do ARABIC ?" - wtf ? why do any subject ? Why are YOU doing English or whatever the person asking me is doing

Is everyone here going to be completely new to Arabic or you all know some already ?

Anybody wanting to practise their Arabic with me PLEASE pm me and let's chat ! lol
I'm completely new to it. I've spent a bit of time in Egypt, but I've got nothing more than a few words here and there.

I'm trying to teach myself in my spare time at work, but it's going very slowly.
amldawson
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by She_Bittersweet)
Are you gonna pick Exeter as ur firm ?
I dunnoooo! It's between Exy and Manc (
Anyone got any input that might help me decide?!
I'm so stuck.
scarlettroxane
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dunnoooo! It's between Exy and Manc (
Anyone got any input that might help me decide?!
I'm so stuck.
Well for the year abroad, you HAVE to go to Egypt at Manchester, at Exeter there is much more choice. Also, when I had my phone interview with them I asked them if we get to learn 3amiyya as well as fuSha in class and they said no.... whereas at Exeter we get learn 3amiyya as well. (I declined Manchester).
amldawson
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scarlettroxane)
Well for the year abroad, you HAVE to go to Egypt at Manchester, at Exeter there is much more choice. Also, when I had my phone interview with them I asked them if we get to learn 3amiyya as well as fuSha in class and they said no.... whereas at Exeter we get learn 3amiyya as well. (I declined Manchester).

I wanna spend my year in Egypt tbh but at Manc it's Alexandria and I'd prefer to go to Cairo

Are they different types of Arabic? You'll have to excuse me, I'm completely clueless lol.

I'm leaning towards Manc cos of the £3000 a year scholarship... is that bad of me?
scarlettroxane
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wanna spend my year in Egypt tbh but at Manc it's Alexandria and I'd prefer to go to Cairo

Are they different types of Arabic? You'll have to excuse me, I'm completely clueless lol.

I'm leaning towards Manc cos of the £3000 a year scholarship... is that bad of me?
3amiya is the colloquial language/dialect, it varies from region to region. FuSha is Modern Standard Arabic (the formal language used in all news programs, newspapers, and general important official stuff). Obviously we will be learning FuSha the most, but 3amiya is soooo useful. When I was in Jordan I wished I knew more 3amiya because no one speaks FuSha in day to day life.....Hope that helps
She_Bittersweet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago

Have you made up your mind where to go,to Manchester or Exeter?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Exeter Campuses Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Exeter Campuses Undergraduate
    Sat, 1 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.61%
No - but I will (56)
7.19%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (374)
48.01%

Watched Threads