Us patient dies while others walk on.... Watch

Collingwood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2026)
Well I don't expect to make any progress debating with you, what with your cowboy, libertarian views.
Your personal attacks are simply devastating. Already I am beginning to abandon my views under the withering glare of your disapproval. Stalinist.

You needn't live in the US to be aware of such cases. 'Patient dumbing' is quite prevalent, especially in the large cities. We're talking about a country which spends double of what the UK spends per capita on health, yet almost 30 million of it's citizens do not have any sort of insurance, it has a shorter life expectancy, higher infant mortality, shocking obesity levels, more likely to suffer cardiovascular diseases and etc etc etc.
Obesity levels are not the fault of the healthcare system, and may have something to do with the shorter life expectancy, higher infant mortality and higher levels of cardiovascular disease...

What does this have to do with the topic, anyway? Or are you just launching a general attack on US healthcare?

(Original post by Elipsis)
What I can't believe is that there were 2 patients sitting there with a woman lying on her face and they didn't help. I'm fairly sure a lot of hospitals who are driven by profit would kick out people, including the terminally ill. They quite often just put them in taxis to other hospitals who have common decency and won't turn them away.
Maybe, but it's still illegal. Maybe NHS staff load patients into ambulances to other hospitals because they can't be arsed to deal with them? Maybe we shouldn't sit in another country throwing vague generalised slurs on the professionalism and decency of millions of people we don't know.
burninginme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2026)
I was not objecting to your dismissal of the US health care system. I was merely criticising your decision to suggest that the UK health care system is on par, let alone worse, than the US'. Sadly, it has become fashionable in certain sections of society to make grossly inaccurate comments regarding the performance of the NHS. Sure it's certainly got it's flaws, but give it some credit.
The NHS isn't terrible, and I'd rather be with it than without it, but as far as state health care systems go, quite a few countries have it a lot better. Also, the risk of infection in NHS Hospitals is now all to real.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Collingwood)
Maybe, but it's still illegal. Maybe NHS staff load patients into ambulances to other hospitals because they can't be arsed to deal with them? Maybe we shouldn't sit in another country throwing vague generalised slurs on the professionalism and decency of millions of people we don't know.
I've never heard of the NHS transfering patients because they can't be arsed to deal with them before, sometimes they do because they can't care for them but that's the only reason. I know it's not really my place to be commenting on other countries health care system, but then again it's not our place to comment on 99% of anything on these forums, if you're going to use that argument you might as well close the place down.
Collingwood
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
I've never heard of the NHS transfering patients because they can't be arsed to deal with them before, sometimes they do because they can't care for them but that's the only reason. I know it's not really my place to be commenting on other countries health care system, but then again it's not our place to comment on 99% of anything on these forums, if you're going to use that argument you might as well close the place down.
I'm not saying you shouldn't comment on things that happen in other countries, I'm saying you shouldn't make baseless attacks on other people because they work in a system you don't like. You haven't presented any evidence of the alleged inhumanity of American healthcare employees, and you are similarly willing to excuse any similar accusation levelled at NHS staff without even asking for any evidence that it goes on!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Collingwood)
I'm not saying you shouldn't comment on things that happen in other countries, I'm saying you shouldn't make baseless attacks on other people because they work in a system you don't like. You haven't presented any evidence of the alleged inhumanity of American healthcare employees, and you are similarly willing to excuse any similar accusation levelled at NHS staff without even asking for any evidence that it goes on!
I never said it was widespread in the American community, I just said that from what i've seen a system that is run with profit in mind does not give those without money very good treatment. Given that they're a world super power with one of the highest levels of medical expenditure i'd expect them to at least be in the top 5 best health care providers in the world but they aren't.
Noctilux
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, it's bad. No, saying "oh that's America for you!" is not clever.

This kind of thing, and worse, happens in NHS hospitals.

My own grandfather was left on the ground for hours after falling out of bed when he had a stroke.

My mum works in a hospital, met a kid who broke his leg, went to hospital to have it re-set and came out with an infection (picked up in hospital) that means he has to have the leg amputated.
zeropoint
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Shall we agree that this story is a tragedy?

I doubt that this one case is a representation of the US healthcare system as a whole, however I am glad I am not subject to that system. I am glad we have the NHS. Now if only we could make it efficient...
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by imtired)
It was in a psychiatric hospital, this may explain why the other patients did nothing, and as for the security guards and doctor, they might have thought she was just lying there waiting. If they did, it was very unprofessional. I was pretty surprised at first but it's not a normal hospital. It still shouldn't have happenend, but i'm just saying that's an explanation,
Shouldn't make a difference - if anything, staff in a psychiatric hospital ought to be more on-the-ball about incidents like this.

I know you're not saying it's an excuse, but I don't even think it serves as a suitable explanation to be honest.
Noctilux
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by zeropoint)
Shall we agree that this story is a tragedy?

I doubt that this one case is a representation of the US healthcare system as a whole, however I am glad I am not subject to that system. I am glad we have the NHS. Now if only we could make it efficient...
You should read my post lest you assume that inefficiency is the NHS's only weakness...
steelmole
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have no reason to believe the people who looked and did nothing in that video are exceptional. Therefore, I think most people would act in a similar way. Sad but true. Sounds like a classic case of the bystander effect.

Now instead of going on about how attrocious this sort of thing is, learn about your own biases, be aware of them and then actively consider them when making decisions. That way we can avoid things like this.
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be fair, the quality of US health care is, if you have insurance, better than the equivalent care someone on the NHS would receive (with some exceptions.)
imtired
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pitseleh*)
Shouldn't make a difference - if anything, staff in a psychiatric hospital ought to be more on-the-ball about incidents like this.

I know you're not saying it's an excuse, but I don't even think it serves as a suitable explanation to be honest.
This is the news report, skip to 2.30, a man is hit by a car and left in the middle of the road, also another is dumped out of wheelchair to be searched. These things happen and i don't know why, sometimes there is no explanation but i just thought that the hospital being a psychiatric one made it a bit more feasible. I've been to one before (visiting) and i'm sure if you've ever spent anytime there you start ignoring people screaming and lying on the floor like that. The doctors shouldn't have, but i don't think it would have happened in a normal hospital.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Did anybody see about a month ago the video of an old man being run over BY TWO CARS in an American street? He was walking across the street, and one car, going way too fast and on the wrong side of the road, hit him. The driver didn't bother to stop, and seconds after (I think they were in a race/car chase), another car, on the wrong side of the road and speeding, again, like mad, went straight into him. It was awful, he was thrown up in the air. And not one person came over. It was disgusting, people were just walking by on the pavement, not even looking, going about their business, leaving this poor old man, who they'd just seen be hit twice, lying in the middle of the road.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
The US is one crazy place.
traxhill
Report 10 years ago
Sorry if this is too long:

Perhaps the first post was the most eloquent…humanity is built on a very cruel foundation.
We learn since we are little to eat meat, play with toy guns, or watch violence...luckily, at some age we are able to think on our own without influence (sadly, not many of us) and to take important decisions in order to change our life in good.
Because we learned all kind of bad things, we are not able to see the difference between “usual” and “unusual”.
Just think at the act of killing, just to survive…it sounds awful if I write it like that, but it sounds too nice if I would say, “think about a tasty barbeque with French fries”.
I believe that we should start thinking…not just “copy - paste”.
If we believe in evolution, then we must act to change something (in the past, seeing a gladiator used to be a spectacle). Most of the time, we are acting worst than baboons (we are trying to conquer, we are not satisfied with what we have) and we are thinking only about ourselves.

The tragedy happened there shows us who we are
DancinBallerina
Report 10 years ago
Saw this yesterday and I thought its absolutely disgusting how they could leave a woman just lying there - common sense would say go check on the woman.

I remember once when I was in A&E with my mum and a man had keeled over, lost a lot of blood - took the staff about 5-10mins to notice that someone had keeled over after an elderly person went and alerted them.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is a pure example of the Bystander Effect which has been repeated in a multitude of social experiments.

But anyway, after reading the article and what-not, I find it a little hard to judge the actions of all involved without knowing a little more.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DancinBallerina)
I remember once when I was in A&E with my mum and a man had keeled over, lost a lot of blood - took the staff about 5-10mins to notice that someone had keeled over after an elderly person went and alerted them.
Why didn't YOU / Your mum go and alert the staff instead of waiting for an elderly man to do so?
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I saw the video on sky news and I was gobsmacked. I truly couldnt believe that no one came to help that woman at all. The security guard rightly deserved to be scaked after just sitting there watching while this woman collapsed, fitted and subsequently died.The country in which this awful event took place is irrelevant, this also happens in the UK so money is clearly not an issue.Imagine how the womans relatives are feeing knowing that for one not a single person came to help her and secondly that the demise of thier realtive is plastered all over the internet which to my mind is just sick and very disrespectful. I know how I would feel if it was one of my family.
DancinBallerina
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Why didn't YOU / Your mum go and alert the staff instead of waiting for an elderly man to do so?
Because we were just about to go in and be seen and furthermore where the man had keeled over was in clear view from the receptionist desk.

EDIT: I don't think my first post was clear - the elderly person had alerted the Nurses and reception desk, BUT it took Nurses/Dr's 5-10mins to get sorted to go and help the guy.

That is what is meant.

No-way if someone had keeled over in front me, would I go away and ignore them, that would beat on my conscience for the rest of my life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.52%
No - but I will (61)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (382)
47.45%

Watched Threads