Cambridge Special Access Scheme HELP!!! Watch

smilepea
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by usingtsr)
should I email the college admissions or the whole of cambridge admissions?
Either both will be able to give you an answer.
usingtsr
Report 8 years ago
Coolies, I've emailed the general one now anyway
zarazara
Report 8 years ago
Great..... Hey when I asked the guys about CSAS they told me that..... I will be applying through Ucas normally like anybody does and my tutor needs to fill I'm the CSAS form..... They didn't tell me about presenting any documented proof.... Well think I need to ask them..... N hey if u do ask them then just let me kno ok.
_Claudia_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, you can. I applied as a mature student last year and used it, so you're never 'too old'. I was ill during my final two years of secondary education and missed weeks of classes, so my tutor told them this to explain why my grades weren't what they could have been. Eventually they never even asked my grades, so I shouldn't have bothered :p:
I asked an admissions officer before using it, and they told me that it's just an extra opportunity for you to provide them with useful information that they will take into account when forming a decision. If you think you meet the criteria, it's never 'wrong' to use it.
zarazara
Report 8 years ago
Thanks Claudia..... That's so helpful.....did u apply to a college or gave in an open application? I am planning to give an open application. What are you studying?I want to do medicine. And how do we give riches? I want to give it to you....
usingtsr
Report 8 years ago
The response I got from admissions was that the CSAS can be used to detail things relevant to all your academic history - this means uni too I suppose. I'm pleased!
_Claudia_
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by zarazara)
Thanks Claudia..... That's so helpful.....did u apply to a college or gave in an open application? I am planning to give an open application. What are you studying?I want to do medicine. And how do we give riches? I want to give it to you....
I'm very glad to be of use I applied to read English at St. John's, but didn't get in, unfortunately. That had nothing to do with my grades or CSAS though, but with an extremely weak interview performance. I'm reapplying this year, and am again using CSAS to give them a bit more info
I don't know what riches are, but please give them to someone who deserves them more! Good luck with your application
zarazara
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by _Claudia_)
I'm very glad to be of use I applied to read English at St. John's, but didn't get in, unfortunately. That had nothing to do with my grades or CSAS though, but with an extremely weak interview performance. I'm reapplying this year, and am again using CSAS to give them a bit more info
I don't know what riches are, but please give them to someone who deserves them more! Good luck with your application
Ok ... I hope it goes well this time for u.... Well. Riches/rep are sth u give to ppl when u like their reply n think it's useful for u.... N u deserve it.... Will find out how to do it!!!!!
haaroon321
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wanted to know if I applied through the CSAC would they give me a lower alternative offer.
And what actually happens if you apply through CSAC.
joanfi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Basically, the CSAS is one extra form your teacher can fill in if you have had a particular disadvantage to your education, (eg if you went to a school with lower than average results, neither of your parents went to university or perhaps some medical problem that disrupted your education). What it does is give the university a little extra information and allows them to put your application in its proper context. It may result in a lower offer, if the university feels you have been disrupted to the extent that it would be unfair to expect you to meet the standard offer. However, it may not: I applied through the scheme and still received an AAA offer (before the A*s introduction). More than anything it is an opportunity for you to give the university more information.
i have no name
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hiya, im just wondering how much can extenuating circumstances can help when applying for oxford?? i know a donkey has more chance of getting in then me for oxford but during my a levels my mom was diagnosed for having a tumour and she kept getting headaches and lightheadedness so basically for the last 2 years i have been looking after her and my younger brothers like cooking and cleaning and shopping (my mums a single parent). she is due surgery soon as well. due to all these problems i havent been able to concentrate on my a levels very much. i only came out with ABBB ( A in accounts, B in business, B in economics, B in maths). although the business paper is getting remarked ( my module marks in it came out as AAAC which doesnt seem right, the whole year is getting remarked) so could be AABB. i plan to resit economics unit 1 paper to get it to an A. do you think oxford will give me any consideration for my family circumstances? i am prepared to phone and beg them and even go down to oxford and speak to head of colleges and subjects if there is any hope for getting in? i want to apply for economics and management. oh and for the record my GCSE's were:
Science A* Additional Science A* Math A* R.E A* (100%) Business (BTEC) A*,A*,A*,A* (100%) English Lit (A) English Lang. (B) Geography (B) IT (B)

any advice would be great thanks. i have a strong PS as well and i can show if needed is there any chance for a interview to convince them that i can do better? i am going local this year due to my mums operation but hopefully when that goes well i plan to re-apply to better unis such as nottingham and york( which i got in for but had to reject due to family) but the idea of oxbridge just popped into my head
i have no name
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hiya, im just wondering how much can extenuating circumstances can help when applying for oxford?? i know a donkey has more chance of getting in then me for oxford but during my a levels my mom was diagnosed for having a tumour and she kept getting headaches and lightheadedness so basically for the last 2 years i have been looking after her and my younger brothers like cooking and cleaning and shopping (my mums a single parent). she is due surgery soon as well. due to all these problems i havent been able to concentrate on my a levels very much. i only came out with ABBB ( A in accounts, B in business, B in economics, B in maths). although the business paper is getting remarked ( my module marks in it came out as AAAC which doesnt seem right, the whole year is getting remarked) so could be AABB. i plan to resit economics unit 1 paper to get it to an A. do you think oxford will give me any consideration for my family circumstances? i am prepared to phone and beg them and even go down to oxford and speak to head of colleges and subjects if there is any hope for getting in? i want to apply for economics and management. oh and for the record my GCSE's were:
Science A* Additional Science A* Math A* R.E A* (100%) Business (BTEC) A*,A*,A*,A* (100%) English Lit (A) English Lang. (B) Geography (B) IT (B)

any advice would be great thanks. i have a strong PS as well and i can show if needed is there any chance for a interview to convince them that i can do better? i am going local this year due to my mums operation but hopefully when that goes well i plan to re-apply to better unis such as nottingham and york( which i got in for but had to reject due to family) but the idea of oxford just popped into my head
i have no name
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

any advice would be great thanks. i have a strong PS as well and i can show if needed is there any chance for a interview to convince them that i can do better? i am going local this year due to my mums operation but hopefully when that goes well i plan to re-apply to better unis such as nottingham and york( which i got in for but had to reject due to family) but the idea of oxford just popped into my head :/
_Claudia_
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by i have no name)

any advice would be great thanks. i have a strong PS as well and i can show if needed is there any chance for a interview to convince them that i can do better? i am going local this year due to my mums operation but hopefully when that goes well i plan to re-apply to better unis such as nottingham and york( which i got in for but had to reject due to family) but the idea of oxbridge just popped into my head
I'm afraid that the special acces scheme is for Cambridge only. I don't know if Oxford has something similar - perhaps you could try asking in the Oxford forum?
Reading your story I do think (and hope) that they'll take your circumstances into account, but like I said I'm not sure. Safest way would be to contact the admissions office, I think. Good luck!
i have no name
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm afraid that the special acces scheme is for Cambridge only. I don't know if Oxford has something similar - perhaps you could try asking in the Oxford forum?
Reading your story I do think (and hope) that they'll take your circumstances into account, but like I said I'm not sure. Safest way would be to contact the admissions office, I think. Good luck!
hiya i have just spoken to the admissions office and they recommend me to apply providing i can get a strong reference from 1 of my teachers which i should be able to. they said we have officers who deal with these sort of circumstances. i think i might be able to get an interview if my reference and PS are strong enough. thnaks for your help. oh i spoke to cambridge about their special access and they say i should defer my entry at keele and take a gap year because people doing a course at another university cannot apply for the same course at cambridge so it looks like oxford might be my oxbridge choice
_Claudia_
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by i have no name)
hiya i have just spoken to the admissions office and they recommend me to apply providing i can get a strong reference from 1 of my teachers which i should be able to. they said we have officers who deal with these sort of circumstances. i think i might be able to get an interview if my reference and PS are strong enough. thnaks for your help. oh i spoke to cambridge about their special access and they say i should defer my entry at keele and take a gap year because people doing a course at another university cannot apply for the same course at cambridge so it looks like oxford might be my oxbridge choice
Oh, going from your post I thought you were only interested in Oxford. It's true that Cambridge doesn't like it when you're already studying. I've also heard (not sure how true this is) that Oxford is a bit more lenient when it comes to grades, so I guess you're right, and Oxford might be your best shot All the best of luck!
i have no name
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh, going from your post I thought you were only interested in Oxford. It's true that Cambridge doesn't like it when you're already studying. I've also heard (not sure how true this is) that Oxford is a bit more lenient when it comes to grades, so I guess you're right, and Oxford might be your best shot All the best of luck!
sorry i didnt mention cambridge either they are tougher with grades so ye i think oxford is my best chance :p:
Brainstew23
Report 8 years ago
Hi I was just wondering whether I qualify under the cambridge special access scheme. I'm oldest of 5 five children in a single parent family. My father passed away when I was 13 and as my mother had to work so I was the carer of my siblings several hours a day. I ended up achieving A*AA in Politics, History and English Language.l; However my GSCE's are not of cambridge standard having achieved 3A*s 3As 2Bs and 2Cs. Do I qualify under the scheme? Thanks a lot
_Claudia_
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Brainstew23)
Hi I was just wondering whether I qualify under the cambridge special access scheme. I'm oldest of 5 five children in a single parent family. My father passed away when I was 13 and as my mother had to work so I was the carer of my siblings several hours a day. I ended up achieving A*AA in Politics, History and English Language.l; However my GSCE's are not of cambridge standard having achieved 3A*s 3As 2Bs and 2Cs. Do I qualify under the scheme? Thanks a lot
Sounds like you do Just ask your teacher/referee to fill it our for you. Like I said before it's never wrong to use it; it's extra info on you and your application that they may or may not take into account. If you have doubts and want to be reassured just contact the admissions office, but I'm pretty sure you're eligible

Congratulations on getting those grades under such difficult circumstances, by the way - and that goes for more people in this thread!
becca-x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I go to a really bad state school, but my dad has a degree and my brothers at university now. Would I still qualify?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (412)
37.83%
No - but I will (83)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (519)
47.66%

Watched Threads