everyone seems to feel the need to declare to the world they're from a state comp Watch

Emers
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's a horrible inverse snobbery and a sort of pride - 'I got into a good university from a terrible background...' I would usually think that is something to be admired, but not when they're mentioning it in every other sentence!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It depends on the school you've come from. Some state schools prepare pupils for university just as well as private schools whilst some don't expect pupils to & consequently don't give them much support & guidance during the process. For the minority who do go onto university it is an achievement. But not every state comprehensive is like that.
Concept
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by afua12)
It comes up on here a lot, with people making a point to make sure everyone knows they're at a comp. At also at uni open days I've noticed it quite a bit. I was at Cambridge yesterday, and one of the first things I heard from someone, was a very loud conversation about how "someone like me from a state comp could end up in a place like this." It sounded like he was trying to make out he was really common or something by the way he said it...And then over the day I kept overhearing loads of people saying along the lines of "someone from a school like mine." It wasn't just Cambridge though, (which I could probably understand), it was most places.

It seems almost as though people are fishing for some sort of sympathy or something? Be nice, I'm a mere comp student from the ghetto - it's been a difficult struggle. It really annoys me, because there are lots of people who have actually had to work hard to get into higher education because of factors outside of their control. It almost makes a mokery of them.

I don't know what people are trying to do, as most of them are very good sudents anyway. When you're asking for a bit of leniency on your terrible grades of 7A*s at gcse and 3As at As, it's soudns like a bit of a joke to me. Of course it may have been slightly more difficult for you to have gotten these grades from your school rather than at a grammar where the sole purpose is spititng out grades, but if you're as intelligent as your grades suggest, you'd put in the extra effort yourself.

Just something I wanted a little rant about, and I would really like to hear from people who do it - there might actually be a good reason which I've completely missed.
It's just for me, my school is good, and don't see the point in pretending it's terrible, when it's really not.
lol

Well I think its acceptable if they went to a particularly bad school, but otherwise I can imagine its a bit of a nuisance.
ffrann
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 0129Hippy)
No, of course not every sinle one of them are. But then again, it would be extremely unusual if a private or a grammar school offered the all too common drawbacks of state education i have mentioned. Well...well done for being so lucky with your school but it is just that-luck. I know,nt just my own, but several schools where 1 or 2 clubs are offered to a school of over 2000 children. Can you see this happening at a grammar/priv??
Whats more-it is extremely daunting to attend an open day for say Warwick, Cambridge etc alone cos your parents don't care and your friends don't have enough for the train fare. Only to find that slot of others are with parents, taking notes, and giving encouragement. Of course you're gonna use the fact you're not part of this upbringing to your advantage. The school you went to being-broad generalisation as it is-an indicator of this.
It could be luck, or it could be parents moving to a more expensive area specifically because it had a good state school. (Mine did that, hence I never try to get sympathy for being from a state school. I think you're only entitled to do this if you have very little support from either your school or your parents.) However, my parents didn't come with me to any open days and I wouldn't want them to. It's something I enjoyed doing independantly. I don't want them following me around all the time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (227)
39.27%
No - but I will (40)
6.92%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (270)
46.71%

Watched Threads