The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

vapid slut magician
Oooo I got told.

I am trying to help you. This is something you did need to get over, you can't spend 3 or 4 years being embarrassed of where you go to university. People care less than you think, they don't automatically think you're a tosser for going to oxbridge. They will, however, think you're a tosser if you try to hide it because then it looks like you're trying to spare their feelings or something ridiculous.

I see where we have the issue - you seem to have misinterpreted the thread. No one here is saying that they are embarrassed about going to Oxford, what is embarrassing is the fuss that seems to get made over it the first time you meet someone. When I am introduced to someone new it usually gets mentioned right after they say my name. This does not happen with my friends who are going to other universities.

I dislike my education being the first thing that people hear about me as, like it or not, it does affect what they think of me. I would much prefer it if they were able to form their opinions without it.
Audrey Hepburn

I dislike my education being the first thing that people hear about me as, like it or not, it does affect what they think of me. I would much prefer it if they were able to form their opinions without it.

Well at your age, the university you go to is one of those things people are going to ask about, because it's the obvious question to ask. It will be a huge part of your life and gradually become part of the way you define yourself so I don't really see the issue. I don't really understand why it comes up though, I don't think people ever introduce me as 'oh this is so and so, she has a cambridge degree', that would be weird.
vapid slut magician
Well at your age, the university you go to is one of those things people are going to ask about, because it's the obvious question to ask. It will be a huge part of your life and gradually become part of the way you define yourself so I don't really see the issue. I don't really understand why it comes up though, I don't think people ever introduce me as 'oh this is so and so, she has a cambridge degree', that would be weird.

I wouldn't mind too much if they asked about it first - it's the fact that they get told immediately by the person who is introducing me, like it's the most important thing about me. Plus it will be hugely embarrassing if I don't get in now that everyone who's ever met me knows I have an offer.
Reply 63
Audrey Hepburn
I wouldn't mind too much if they asked about it first - it's the fact that they get told immediately by the person who is introducing me, like it's the most important thing about me. Plus it will be hugely embarrassing if I don't get in now that everyone who's ever met me knows I have an offer.

Yeah - I spent the best part of a year appending 'hopefully' to quite a few sentences.
Reply 64
vapid slut magician
Yeah, and I'm telling you to get over yourself. What wrong assumptions? And also, who ****ing cares?

i dont get why you are so rude.

i think audrey hepburn has explained enough.
lavalse
i dont get why you are so rude.

i think audrey hepburn has explained enough.

I'm not being rude, you're the one who thinks people can't handle you saying you go to oxford or cambridge or whatever. Just get over it, it's not a big deal. I don't see why this is an issue.
Reply 66
well some people do have negative reactions! one girl told me that when she met me and found out im going to cambridge that she felt 'so insignificant'. it really upset me to hear that!!

but anyway, im going to give up on this because you obviously think differently to me, which is fine
Reply 67
vapid slut magician
I'm not being rude, you're the one who thinks people can't handle you saying you go to oxford or cambridge or whatever. Just get over it, it's not a big deal. I don't see why this is an issue.

Have people not explained adequately that we don't think getting into Oxbridge is a big huge deal (or at least I'm unable to, simply because I got in :p:) - that this is precisely what we don't want people to think that it is. But unless you were to come from a background where plenty of people head off to Oxbridge, and they can be seen to be normal people, then people do often have a big, pretty incorrect image of Oxbridge in their head.
I know certainly I, prior to applying, was convinced someone going to these universities would have to be damn well near a genius, and this is frankly not something I want people to imagine I am when first meeting me (it's somewhat depressing to watch them getting gradually disallusioned...). And it's also rather hard to deny that there must be a vague public feeling about oxbridge being full of ridiculously clever, rich, toff-ish people - look at all the stupid oxbridge stuff in the papers and all the politicians who occasionally feel the need to rant at it. None of us particularly those labels attached to us when a person first meets us.
ixivxivi
rich, toff-ish people - look at all the stupid oxbridge stuff in the papers and all the politicians who occasionally feel the need to rant at it. .

You're in for a shock
Reply 69
ixivxivi is already at Oxford, and their experience of the people here could well be different to your experience of Cambridge.
Athena
ixivxivi is already at Oxford, and their experience of the people here could well be different to your experience of Cambridge.

Yeah, I'm sure they're totally different
Reply 71
Well, I don't think Oxford is full of rich toffs, but that's because I go to Wadham - who your friends are can have a big influence on how you view the university as a whole.
Reply 72
vapid slut magician
You're in for a shock

So, basically, your point is that we should not care if people automatically think we're snobby and loaded (as they inevitably will, according to you)?

And as for everyone (immediate generalisation warning, no?) at Oxford being rich toffs, I've certainly come across more snobbery against richer people (just mild murmerings behind people's backs - "ooh, they went to Eton", or "Well some of us didn't go to boarding school" as an irrelevant response to someone mentioning that they weren't allowed to do such and such at their school. etc). I can't think of an instance when someone was rude to someone on the basis of going to a poorer school or anything likewise about their background, although obviously this is just my experience. I can dress in a pretty tramp-like manner on occasion, don't mind "admitting" I got EMA, get bursaries, don't have the money to do something or other and I've never had any rude comments.
ixivxivi
So, basically, your point is that we should not care if people automatically think we're snobby and loaded (as they inevitably will, according to you)?

Yes, that's exactly my point, that you shouldn't care.
ixivxivi

And as for everyone (immediate generalisation warning, no?) at Oxford being rich toffs, I've certainly come across more snobbery against richer people (just mild murmerings behind people's backs - "ooh, they went to Eton", or "Well some of us didn't go to boarding school" as an irrelevant response to someone mentioning that they weren't allowed to do such and such at their school. etc). I can't think of an instance when someone was rude to someone on the basis of going to a poorer school or anything likewise about their background, although obviously this is just my experience. I can dress in a pretty tramp-like manner on occasion, don't mind "admitting" I got EMA, get bursaries, don't have the money to do something or other and I've never had any rude comments.

Errrmm, well done?
I don't think they were seeking praise or attention; I think they were giving an example.
Reply 76
...I care what people I care about, or potentially may care about, think. So I don't see much in the idea that you shouldn't care about what anyone thinks.

I'm not all that sure why you're continuing your postgrad at Oxbridge when, from the impression I've taken from your posts, you didn't seem to enjoy your undergrad there, and have no hope that the people at Oxford will be anything but dorky, stuck-up, overly-friendly, loaded teetollers who you are going to despise.

...Anyway, as far as I can see, this thread was supposed to be a sort of mutual moaning/amusing anecdote thread, rather than a let's-attack-each-other one. You must have been unlucky, or perhaps Cambridge is genuinely loads naffer than Oxford. Perhaps you'll find people here you don't find ****.
ixivxivi
...Anyway, as far as I can see, this thread was supposed to be a sort of mutual moaning/amusing anecdote thread, rather than a let's-attack-each-other one.

But as long as we keep to the OP's original topic we can still attack each other, right?
ixivxivi

I'm not all that sure why you're continuing your postgrad at Oxbridge when, from the impression I've taken from your posts, you didn't seem to enjoy your undergrad there, and have no hope that the people at Oxford will be anything but dorky, stuck-up, overly-friendly, loaded teetollers who you are going to despise.

Well I went to Cambridge because I wanted a Cambridge degree, and I'm going to Oxford because I want a masters from Oxford. Why else would you go somewhere :confused:
Audrey Hepburn
I'm starting Oxford in October and ever since I got accepted I've found that whenever I get introduced to someone new it gets mentioned within at least two minutes! I didn't mind at first because I was rather proud of myself, but now that I've realized that Oxford really is 'just another university' and that it's not that big a deal, it's getting rather frustrating. I just feel like I'm being judged on the fact that I got into a good university rather than my actual personality, am I right to find this annoying?

Does anyone else get this - and dislike it? Does it still happen to current students too? I'm rather tempted to tell people that I'm going to get a degree from McDonalds instead just to get some peace.

Do you know how many people (including moi) would dream to be in your position? :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending