The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
crazyhelicopter
As I have said to NS calling him an idiot was inappropriate, but it is extremely frustrating when people who have little to no knowledge of the application procedure and subjects required, preach for the necessity of 4 sciences- granted it would appear that that wasn't NS's aim.

I didn't know there were 4 sciences - I've read through this thread and NS was just trying to say that Physics is no hinderance to most universities and can sometimes be advantageous and recommending it. He wasn't going "don't do RS you idiot, Physics is better, only idiots do RS". Why couldn't you just say; "I disagree, I think RS would be better because x y and z". If you are in your 4th year of Medical school then atleast show the maturity you should already have by now.
Reply 61
crazyhelicopter
And I have considerably more experience than him- seeing as I have actually studied medicine. I'm not claiming to know everything but I am claiming to know more than an AS student who has yet to even apply to medicine.

If you read the prospectuses you see what subjects are advised. You don't need to be an admissions tutor

As I have said to NS calling him an idiot was inappropriate, but it is extremely frustrating when people who have little to no knowledge of the application procedure and subjects required, preach for the necessity of 4 sciences- granted it would appear that that wasn't NS's aim.

Right, for one, who is this AS student you are referring to? I hope it is the OP, because it certainly isn't me. Two, you haven't said calling me an idiot was inappropriate; I hope you're not trying to make out that you've tried to apologise to me or something, because that certainly isn't the case. Again, who is this person with "no knowledge of the application procedure"? Wrong again - you haven't got a clue. No one is preaching "for the necessity of 4 sciences" as you have stated; if you take some time to read back through the posts in sequence, you will realise that you haven't quite grasped what I have been trying to get across. Come on, you should be able to work out where you went wrong here, after all, you are a 4th year medical student. ;console;
Reply 62
Thank you for all your replies.

What i have noticed from all posts is that my forth option isnt as important as the ones i intend to continue to A2.

Out of my subjects i am certain i will continue biology, chemistry and psychology to A2.

Although the different views on whether psychology is a 'soft' subject or not, it seems it is not widely considered very academic.

So would the back-up of physics at AS still give me that traditional science education and the psychology giving me that bredth of study, despite still being related to medicine?

As for which to pick at AS, i think RS may be easier but it is also a less rare a-level compared to physics. It may be harder but with the effort i performed well in GCSE Phsyics in the same way i would at AS.
Reply 63
Harribot

What i have noticed from all posts is that my forth option isnt as important as the ones i intend to continue to A2.

Out of my subjects i am certain i will continue biology, chemistry and psychology to A2.

Although the different views on whether psychology is a 'soft' subject or not, it seems it is not widely considered very academic.

So would the back-up of physics at AS still give me that traditional science education and the psychology giving me that bredth of study, despite still being related to medicine?

As for which to pick at AS, i think RS may be easier but it is also a less rare a-level compared to physics. It may be harder but with the effort i performed well in GCSE Phsyics in the same way i would at AS.

Physics will be hard but so will biology and chemistry:smile:

I would recommend you to taker it at AS at least the only carry on bio and chem to A2 which is what you intend to do.

as for psychology I don't think it is a soft subject and it is considered widely academic - but I respect your opnion I just think it isn't soft at all - but even if you think it is you have the hard science subjects to prove you don't take the easy route:wink:

So when you make you final decision on what you will be taking let me know - and hope my advice helps you a little!:biggrin::smile:
m4n0ran
I didn't know there were 4 sciences
4 sciences as far as medical applications go is Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths

I've read through this thread and NS was just trying to say that Physics is no hinderance to most universities and can sometimes be advantageous and recommending it. He wasn't going "don't do RS you idiot, Physics is better, only idiots do RS". Why couldn't you just say; "I disagree, I think RS would be better because x y and z". If you are in your 4th year of Medical school then atleast show the maturity you should already have by now.
You obviously haven't read through this thread. The exact comment that provoked this argument was when I was arguing that there was no benefit to physics over RS in the majority of places.

The idiot came in because (as it now transpired NS) was claiming that physics was more beneficial to you're medical studies, something I disagree with because I have never been at any disadvantage through not studying physics. I agree the idiot part was not necessary. I then went on to explain why RS could be usefuk to your studies
NS
Right, for one, who is this AS student you are referring to? I hope it is the OP, because it certainly isn't me.
Sorry, was going by the information on you're profile- maybe you could instead of getting so angry point out at which part of study you are at

Two, you haven't said calling me an idiot was inappropriate;
Actually if you think back to our wonderful PMs I did say the the idiot comment was unnecessary. Didn't actually realise that idiot was such an offensive term in the first place, but just so the whole of TSR can see and this pettiness can be stopped I'm sorry for calling you an idiot.

No one is preaching "for the necessity of 4 sciences" as you have stated; if you take some time to read back through the posts in sequence, you will realise that you haven't quite grasped what I have been trying to get across. Come on, you should be able to work out where you went wrong here, after all, you are a 4th year medical student. ;console;
I am now aware that you are not preaching this, although initially, from you're posts it seemed that you were preaching for the necessity of 3 sciences, something that isn't needed in the majority of places.

If I've got this wrong and you were only campaigning for 2 sciences perhaps you can explain why someone should pick Physics over Biology or Chemistry

Edit- Just looked at you're updated profile, seems that you're a medic at cambridge. Perhaps we should conclude the argument by saying that Physics is useful in you're studies at some universities and not others, and may help you're application to some colleges at Cambridge?
Harribot

Depends on where you apply to, some places will look on it highly because of the essay component.

My understanding is that physchology is considered a medically/science related subject so wouldn't give you a breath of study

Which one will you do best in? Which one would you prefer to study? Answer these and you'll have the best answer as to what should be you're 4th AS
Reply 67
What I'm just slightly upset about is the statement about Physics not being useful in the medical course because I feel very strongly that Physics A level has been really quite helpful to me in my medical course so far. (Would add that I'm on a course that has a very heavy emphasis on the science behind medicine!)

I won't comment on Religious Studies, given that I don't actually know anyone who took RS (or at least if they did, I don't know about it), I have no idea what the RS syllabus is like, and it's not even offered as an A level subject in Singapore.
Reply 68
Do you think that doctors with a heavy science background make better doctors?

Not just at a-level but doing the 6 year medical course at such places like Cambridge?
Harribot
Do you think that doctors with a heavy science background make better doctors?

Not just at a-level but doing the 6 year medical course at such places like Cambridge?
Personally I haven't noticed much difference, but I guess it depends on how your definition of a good doctor. And I think (although may be corrected) that it's the nature of the pre-clinical course at Cambridge that gives it a heavy science background, not the 6-year aspect.

I'd say that doctors with a heavy science background make better researchers though
psyche87
What I'm just slightly upset about is the statement about Physics not being useful in the medical course because I feel very strongly that Physics A level has been really quite helpful to me in my medical course so far. (Would add that I'm on a course that has a very heavy emphasis on the science behind medicine!) it may be because you're course is more traditional, I haven't met anyone on a non-traditional course (the vast majority of courses in the UK) who has found physics useful, or missed not having it. Granted RS may not be any more useful but that was the option given here.

I will set up a thread to see what other medical students think.
Reply 71
Anyway, best of luck OP with the application; here's hoping you get those offers. :smile:
Reply 72
crazyhelicopter
This is complete *******s!!!!!!! Leave now you obviously know nothing and have done no research!

OP- pick the one you're going to do best in/ enjoy the most. The majority of universities want chemistry (some biology as well). They also like to see a breath of study etc.

NO Sorry, i wont as my point is correct you just clearly missunderstood. and no need to swear.
Reply 73
With regards to 'soft' subjects, my cousin did Design Technology (as well as Chem/Bio/Maths) and got in, so if they like you I reckon you stand a good chance anyway.

Then again, that was about 10 years ago.
jjkkll
NO Sorry, i wont as my point is correct you just clearly missunderstood. and no need to swear.
How exactly is you're point correct?
Reply 75
jjkkll

What is there to misunderstand? You said, basically, "if you don't have physics and somebody else does, you're not getting into medical school". This is wrong, deal with it.
Reply 76
Beska
What is there to misunderstand? You said, basically, "if you don't have physics and somebody else does, you're not getting into medical school". This is wrong, deal with it.

Point taken

I am clearly biased towards physics, but it shouldnt make a difference on your chances of acceptance into medical school, do it if you want to!
Reply 77
jjkkll
Point taken

I am clearly biased towards physics, but it shouldnt make a difference on your chances of acceptance into medical school, do it if you want to!

Nevertheless, the third subject is really personal and people choose whatever they choose for loads of different reasons. Physics for you might be perfect, but for him it might be too much extra work. It's really hard to tell, really. :smile:
Reply 78
Do the one you enjoy more and are more likely to do well in.

For information, and from a personal POV, RS is held in (may be surprisingly) high regard at some medical schools. Certainly in the East End of London an A2 or AS in RS would have been far, far more helpful for medicine practically than an A2 in physics. I would have thought it would be similar in any major conurbation.

The *only* real reason I can see for taking physics over RS is that you're interested in medical imaging, clin onc, anaesthetics or ITU medicine, and even there, I've not yet struggled with the concepts taught to us as medical students.
Reply 79
Harribot

If you find RS easier then take it, because getting the grades is more important than the subjects you take (provided you meet the requirements of Bio and Chem). Rarity(?) shouldn't really come into it. But if you want the definitive answer, email admissions at the places you're thinking of applying to :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending