Malpractice on Exam Script Watch

jay8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Louisdf)
You have to disclose ALL of your grades for all of your subjects, not just grades for the subjects you like/did well in.
Actually, as a U is 'ungraded' it's not something you ever have to disclose. You only have to give all your graded subjects.
Louisdf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jay8)
Actually, as a U is 'ungraded' it's not something you ever have to disclose. You only have to give all your graded subjects.

Oh sorry at our school the teachers just written our UMS marks of every unit in our references, regardless of the mark which I guess if his school follows that policy then the OP must be happy about (although I disagree with the principal but what are you going to do.)
Gooner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's disgusting that you wrote that, but likewise I think the examiner may have been a bit over the top with the entire situation.

Despite the fact they are well-paid for marking scripts, they aren't paid to be marking papers which are going to waste their own time. Examiners get 300+ scripts to mark in such a short space of time and the last thing they need when they're already under pressure and strict deadlines is somebody writing things like that which could cause offence.

That said, I don't think it's fair that you have to pay for the exam and have your EMA bonus taken from you. One or the other would suffice, and given the fact you've actually sat the exam, I'd say you should just be made to pay for the exam and let that be the end of the whole situation you're in.
Louisdf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes but aren't EMA bonuses only for people who make an effort.

Look http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio.../EMA/DG_066945

It says "As long as you attend regularly and work hard", not bothering with an exam which you were studying for a year for and then wasting the examiner's time does not constitute "working hard".
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's a bit ****ty.
Norfolkadam
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yes but aren't EMA bonuses only for people who make an effort.

Look http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio.../EMA/DG_066945

It says "As long as you attend regularly and work hard", not bothering with an exam which you were studying for a year for and then wasting the examiner's time does not constitute "working hard".
Well my geography teacher ticked the sheet saying I made an "appropriate effort" so obviously I was working hard. Like I said I revised, I worked in class, I did the homework and the coursework. I just wasn't any good at it.
Louisdf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So you're being rewarded for failure. What next a medal?
Aaron_1507
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Greatleysteg)
No offense, but you deserve it. You're exactly right, examiners have to read every word - what if you'd decided to answer the questions seriously, later in the paper?

You ought to be ashamed - you've wasted an examiner's valuable time, which could have been better spent marking another, worthier candidate's work. Someone else might be inadvertently affected by this, and subsequently get a lower mark.
The crux is, it's entirely fair that you should have to recompensate somewhere along the line, financially, in this case.

If you didn't want to do the exam, you should have just left, or dropped the subject. Instead, you just wasted not only time, but the school's (taxpayers', if it's a state school) money used to enter you for the exam.

Did you only keep Geography on so that you could get EMA?
Shut up
Norfolkadam
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So you're being rewarded for failure. What next a medal?
I believe a knighthood would be the only appropriate course of action now. I await confirmation from the palace.
alenax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
Sir, your high horse galloped away when your back was turned just then.
Exactly what I thought.

I did the same thing for my A2 Critical Thinking exam, just filled the paper with loads of complaining about how this was a waste of my time, and there were quite a lot of swear words in it and the exam board sent it back to my school. On results day, the headteacher called me into the office and waved it in my face but because I was technically no longer a student, there was nothing she could do about it and I just stood there and smirked at her - seven years of hating me and trying to get me suspended because of wearing two earrings in each ear and not one, and other minor things like that, and now there was nothing she could do about it. So satisfying!
Rob 106
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by paperclip)
Sounds like they're trying to make an example after that guy got 2 marks for swearing in a GCSE paper...

Yeah http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7481715.stm

I guess the OP wishes he was on AQA!
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Greatleysteg)
No offense, but you deserve it. You're exactly right, examiners have to read every word - what if you'd decided to answer the questions seriously, later in the paper?

You ought to be ashamed - you've wasted an examiner's valuable time, which could have been better spent marking another, worthier candidate's work. Someone else might be inadvertently affected by this, and subsequently get a lower mark.
The crux is, it's entirely fair that you should have to recompensate somewhere along the line, financially, in this case.

If you didn't want to do the exam, you should have just left, or dropped the subject. Instead, you just wasted not only time, but the school's (taxpayers', if it's a state school) money used to enter you for the exam.

Did you only keep Geography on so that you could get EMA?

To whoever negged this post: LOL, it did no damage to my rep.
You also spelt 'you're' incorrectly.
And as for my being lucky that I live in Liverpool, as I'd be "eating through a straw" if I negged you again, I laugh in your face.
Grow up, you silly little boy.

Edit: In fact, Aaron_1507, for the first time ever, I will add you to my 'to neg' list. I'll create said list, especially for you. Then, I can neg you again.

Hurrah, just 27 more days to go.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't worry I have already got my offers by March this year.And just because you feel that Geography is feel irrelevant because you didn't find it appealing, it doesn't mean the admissions tutors will feel that it is irrelevant too.You have to disclose ALL of your grades for all of your subjects, not just grades for the subjects you like/did well in.I'm not the biggest fan of geography either (I did it at AS) but it is an academic subject and just because you don't enjoy it, that doesn't give you an excuse to sit off whilst claiming EMA payments and then turn around and say that you are shocked that you have to pay up for your laziness.If you didn't like it, you should have dropped it.
Technically you do, but I didn't.
Gooner
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Technically you do, but I didn't.
Not if you get a U/decline your grade though
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gooner)
Not if you get a U/decline your grade though
Well, I got a D on Media Studies -- because, let's face it, I was ignorant enough to take Media Studies and think it would be a worthwhile subject; it was so ****ing demotivating. I got an A on the module about ownership of the media though -- with no revision.

So I just didn't declare it.
benwellsday
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ooops I filled most of my general studies exams with rubbish. I don't believe I swore, unless they find out what the F in OMFG is for. I basically was writing a letter to complain that I had 3 hours of general studies before my cosmology exam whose grade would actually count towards getting me into uni. I was going to drop out of it but I did hear that the school gets paid if people take the exams, or something. Its probably more likely that it'd be wasting the schools money if I turned up and did nothing, or didn't turn up, but I did give a reasonable attempt at the questions, but didn't stress out over it, I needed the energy for physics. Anyway the examiner can't complain, they need a good laugh after reading endless text which is generally the same.
I also did it last year in one general studies exam, writing a story and mocking the examiner because they had to read it. I got a U on that paper
jonnythemoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We've got to page four of this topic, and nobody has thought to ask what the story was about, what the expletive was, or how it fit in with the story? Guys, I'm very let down.

OP, care to elaborate?

And you should all sub - bye bye to anonymous negging! :five:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (446)
37.93%
No - but I will (88)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (562)
47.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise