Feeling low because you can't find a job? Watch

Aaron_1507
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
i know theres endless people who work at fast food restaraunts that i went to school with and i look at them and i think....
im smarter, stronger, more hardworking than them why have they got a job and i havent?

then i think when im a big shot accountant/businessman i'll be earning 4 times more than him so its all good.
What about the people that you aren't smarter, stronger, more hardworking than them, just because you work in a fast food restaurant it doesnt mean your not intelligant. I'm going to be working at mcdonalds and i'll laugh at anyone that has your attitude towards me in the future.:rolleyes:
Kerch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've never worked before, and I can't see myself getting a job this summer even though I'd happily commit to one. Any CV I attempted to make would be a list of qualifications and nothing else. I'm not in any dire need of money so my only worry is that even with a degree I would still be unemployable because of having no work experience.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kerch)
I've never worked before, and I can't see myself getting a job this summer even though I'd happily commit to one. Any CV I attempted to make would be a list of qualifications and nothing else. I'm not in any dire need of money so my only worry is that even with a degree I would still be unemployable because of having no work experience.
Put hobbies etc on it and write about the experiences/qualities they have given you that could apply to the workplace. Thats what I did to get my first job in a pub when I was 16...

My low point was getting rejected from Asda because I didn't wait for a friend to give me the answers to the check boxes on the form. If I had waited then I could have ticked all the right boxes and at least got an interview.
Fi0na.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kerch)
Precisely!
But it's not like working at Supermarkets would get you anywhere reaaally. :rolleyes:
I might work at my dad's, even though I hate to rely on him :mad:
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was thinking that if I did manage to get no job at all this summer, I was thinking of temping in barwork, to get work experience. Like one-offs. How would I go about that?
Fi0na.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by happydinosaur)
My low point was getting rejected from Asda because I didn't wait for a friend to give me the answers to the check boxes on the form. If I had waited then I could have ticked all the right boxes and at least got an interview.
Tick boxes are just silly, people lie their way in.
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Damn, thought you were offering.

Agencies tell me to **** off, basically. "Oh, you need 6 years experience to work in an office." "Oh, we don't take students." "Oh, we don't take graduates."
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by happydinosaur)
Put hobbies etc on it and write about the experiences/qualities they have given you that could apply to the workplace. Thats what I did to get my first job in a pub when I was 16...

That's so annoying! I had the opposite problem with Sainsbury's: I must have applied for a job there about 4 times and each time I receive a letter from them telling me I meet their criteria, but they don't want to give me a job because I don't want to work there full-time for the rest of my life!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Aaron_1507)
What about the people that you aren't smarter, stronger, more hardworking than them, just because you work in a fast food restaurant it doesnt mean your not intelligant. I'm going to be working at mcdonalds and i'll laugh at anyone that has your attitude towards me in the future.:rolleyes:
well no i know them from school and there thick as mule, and about as much job prospects as one, im sure there are people better than me but the fact i know more than just one makes me think the standard isnt that high in there.
vmanz
Report 10 years ago
i really do hate when one is unable to fully complete an application form due to lack of experience... i.e school does not do work experience
artorscience?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dill)
Do you have any idea what you're going to do? I'm returning to Edinburgh on Tuesday and I don't fancy hanging around doing nothing all day whilst my boyfriend is working full time. Not sure I'm keen on doing fringe festival work either Argh!
Well I have managed to get a week of work by sheer chance and luck and all that. And after that I guess I'll keep looking until term time or round abouts when I feel I can legitimately say there's no point. And then try to find some part time for whilst studying. Are you able to find any fringe work that sounds like it's hiring? I'm not managing to get anything on that front, I assume my CV doesn't cry out the right things for fringe

Still there's only 2 months or so left until we recommence the game of education.
jakeee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im 1200 (which is the limit) into my overdraft, with a Vodafone bill of £102.00 to be paid on the 7th of July, and to top the whole ******* of a situation of I lost my passport in Liquid on Friday night.

I am so DESPERATE for a job, I'd even kill for it. I'd even become a terrorist if they paid me for it (dont hold that against me).
Dill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by artorscience?)
Well I have managed to get a week of work by sheer chance and luck and all that. And after that I guess I'll keep looking until term time or round abouts when I feel I can legitimately say there's no point. And then try to find some part time for whilst studying. Are you able to find any fringe work that sounds like it's hiring? I'm not managing to get anything on that front, I assume my CV doesn't cry out the right things for fringe

Still there's only 2 months or so left until we recommence the game of education.
I haven't looked properly for fringe work, kinda keeping it as a last resort. Might ring up EUSA tomorrow and see about applying for it (then at least I might have something if I can't get work elsewhere), that's how my boyfriend got a job at Pleasance a couple of years ago.
I've sent my CV to about 20 different agency type places today. I'm getting a bit bored of ringing them up and them telling me there's no point sending it so I just send it anyway. My CV's so rubbish though, I haven't had any work experience since 2004, when I worked in a shop very briefly hehe.
Rar!!
hello!!!
Report 10 years ago
lying to employers is good that you wont be goin uni, but the problem with that is, what if you need them to write you a reference for say placements? theyll give something really bad that you wont even want to put down on your CV's that you got experience of working there.
Eldop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Burger king are looking. Frankly they are the only place in my town that is.

The application form is good if you have no previous experience lol, there are only 2 lines for qualifications and a small box for previous experience.
Emma_lu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i have applied to so many jobs... i have 5 years shop experience, a bit of office experience yet i still cant find anything!!!
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been looking for a job for 3 weeks now and have had ZIP.
I can honestly say I HATE the summer holidays, and can't wait to go back to uni.
They're too long to not work in and too short for employers to take you seriously over people available full time.
It wouldn't be so bad if my parents didn't come in every night asking if I had heard anything and nagging me all the time to do something.
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't apply for the job as a traffic warden in the end; the travel company where I worked last year rung me up this morning and have offered me a job! I don't know what it entails, something to do with aviation... Good luck everyone!
yvonnay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hello!!!)
lying to employers is good that you wont be goin uni, but the problem with that is, what if you need them to write you a reference for say placements? theyll give something really bad that you wont even want to put down on your CV's that you got experience of working there.
well they're not allowed by law to give you a bad reference so sod them lol. I've resorted to telling lies from now on since the truth has got me nowhere.
romeosbitch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been looking everyday for the past 4 weeks and sent off cv's to a few places whilst i was still at uni. I was stuffed because my uni seemed to finish a month later than everyone else and all the jobs went even though i came back early to try and get a job.
What really depressed me is that i went back to my old work at premier inn that i really enjoyed but the manager and supervisor have left and even though the rest of the employees told them how good i am at the job (i rock at housekeeping) because I'm going back to uni they wouldn't employ me.

This would be fair enough but anyone working in the hotel industry will tell you there is a high turnover of staff, especially housekeepers and having a really good member of staff, who knows some of the employees already, doesn't need training, could get away with paying less due to the min wage, for two months is not a thing to be sniffed at. but, i was sniffed at.

applied for lots more places this week and now i'm just going to have to lie. the rent for my second year house comes out before the student loans come in and i'm at the top of my £500 overdraft now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise