On the first day... Watch

traxhill
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sophie_05)
i think its really weird handshaking with a girl ive never been offered one bar an interview. would feel really awkward. just gotta remember EVERYONE is the same position as u!
im nervous about moving into halls but just gotta remember that and the fact i have an amazing personalty and not too bad on the eye ethier! ha!
Well, indeed, there is a difference between how you shake a woman's hand and a man's hand...but it is not weird at all, we still do not use to put women on the same position as men, which is not ok.
I guess that shaking a hand signify some confidence (why you would not shake his/her hand? Perhaps you do not trust his/her hygiene?)
Y'anami!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'll shake hands if someone offered their hand, but I wouldn't do it first. I always wave..

I like this thread, I've been thinking about the first day for a while :p:.. so nervewrecking!

(Original post by traxhill)
Perhaps you do not trust his/her hygiene?)
:rofl:
traxhill
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Y'anami!)
I'll shake hands if someone offered their hand, but I wouldn't do it first. I always wave..

I like this thread, I've been thinking about the first day for a while :p:.. so nervewrecking!
For example, if a person is older than you are (let's say 20 years between you and him/her), you should wait until he/she is starting the hand shaking.
The same applies when that person is a manager, a teacher and so long
(Its a kind of respect to shake that hand).

When i meet someone new, i like to shake that hand and watch a little bit his/hers eyes, because i can feel better that person (they can be read easily).
Y'anami!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When i meet someone new, i like to shake that hand and watch a little bit his/hers eyes, because i can feel better that person (they can be read easily).
I remember this ONE time that someone did that, and I think I fell for him just a TIIIIINY bit :love:. Cuz his smile was adorable. SO SMILE WITH IT Or atleast it leaves a good impression..
traxhill
Report 10 years ago
exactly..a simple hand shake can say a lot about that person
(you can read a "body language" book and learn more about that)
hanfromman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm going to be living with my boyfriend while at uni, and reading this thread has made me think. will i miss out alot and not to be able to make such good friends as i won't be living in halls? i intend on fully participating in freshers week and being really friendly and joining clubs and so on, but will i miss out alot cos i'm not in halls?
traxhill
Report 10 years ago
From my experience, i can tell you that its more interesting to stay together with colleagues and friends...but if you will live close to the university, you can visit them every day and keep a strong relationship
penwa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Meh, all i can say is don't worry. Everyone is in the same boat. Doesn't matter if you shake hands or fart as a method of saying hello, the fact is just do it by any method or you'll have a rubbish time at uni. You probably wont be friends with the people you meet during freshers week in 5 months time any way, as you know people better after that time and can make a more educated decision about the people you want to be friends with.
sophie_05
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, indeed, there is a difference between how you shake a woman's hand and a man's hand...but it is not weird at all, we still do not use to put women on the same position as men, which is not ok.
I guess that shaking a hand signify some confidence (why you would not shake his/her hand? Perhaps you do not trust his/her hygiene?)

i dont think a handshake defines equalness between the sexes. just think overall for any 18-20 year old shaking hands with another is too formal ecsp if both are nervous!
traxhill
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sophie_05)
i dont think a handshake defines equalness between the sexes. just think overall for any 18-20 year old shaking hands with another is too formal ecsp if both are nervous!
i guess that you can write a whole book on this topic
FyreFight
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RJ555)
EDIT: While we are on the point, what exactly is the purpose of a handshake? Is it meant to be symbollic of something? Its just such a bizarre custom!

It goes back to centuries and centuries ago, when it was used to show that both people didn't have a weapon in their hands when they met one another.
DCShaw
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FyreFight)
It goes back to centuries and centuries ago, when it was used to show that both people didn't have a weapon in their hands when they met one another.
Yeh I read or heard something like that very recently. It wasnt on countdown or something was it when that woman describes the origin of words?

Oh no ive just revealed that I watch countdown
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FyreFight)
But you could still hide a weapon behind your back in the other hand!
-steph-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That is a funny reason but when you shake a hand you can still have the other hand behide ur back. If i imagined correctly.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -steph-)
That is a funny reason but when you shake a hand you can still have the other hand behide ur back. If i imagined correctly.
Presumably the answer to this is in the fact that the majority of people are right-handed.
Londoner101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I make an ass of myself in front of everyone eventually, so I might aswell get it over and done with with regards to my dorm/flatmates as soon as possible...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads