UCL more likely to reject you if you apply to Oxbridge? Watch

Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by El Mariachi)
True, but you definitely can't rule it out as being a reason for rejection.
I would argue using a simple logic, that you pretty much can. Obviously not 100% but I would venture beyond any reasonable doubt - simply because no university is going to reject what they believe to be the best candidates out of spite. These are academics, not stupid spiteful kids.
ExRx123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
I would argue using a simple logic, that you pretty much can. Obviously not 100% but I would venture beyond any reasonable doubt - simply because no university is going to reject what they believe to be the best candidates out of spite. These are academics, not stupid spiteful kids.
Debatable, from the open day, I got the impression the head admissions tutor for economics very much hates Oxbridge and LSE.

What we really need is some statistics, and I have a feeling you'd be surprised. It's too much effort to go through though.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Debatable, from the open day, I got the impression the head admissions tutor for economics very much hates Oxbridge and LSE.

What we really need is some statistics, and I have a feeling you'd be surprised. It's too much effort to go through though.
Admissions tutors do not hold grudges. They are not children. A candidate which they reject is one they deem not to be of sufficient standard for admission, not because he or she got into Cambridge, Oxford or LSE.

I always thought that individual admissions tutors couldn't see where else you applied to.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
Admissions tutors do not hold grudges. They are not children. A candidate which they reject is one they deem not to be of sufficient standard for admission, not because he or she got into Cambridge, Oxford or LSE.

I always thought that individual admissions tutors couldn't see where else you applied to.
I know, but you cannot help but ask why so many candidates are apparently of sufficient standard for admission when they are accepted at places like Cambridge or LSE, seeing as all universities are given the same resources about a candidate.

Also, as I mentioned before, they have an idea if you applied before Oct 15th.
NesQuiK.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But the thing is, you can never be sure, and it would be a damn good explanation for all those people with ridiculously good grades who get rejected without being given an explanation, and as I've previously mentioned, a lot of these people get offers from LSE too so it can't be the PS. Also, they have a clue if you're Oxbridge or not if you apply before 15th Oct. I know an Oxbridge guy who got rejected today with 13A*s and predicted 5As for straight Eco.

The only flaw I can see in the argument is that I only know/have heard of around 15-20 people who this has happened to.
Rejected with 13 A*s and 5As :eek:
PrinceOfCats
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Broadcast to school students: nobody gives a **** about your X A* X A quite as much as your 17/18 year-old mates; admissions tutors are not your 17/18 year-old mates.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know, but you cannot help but ask why so many candidates are apparently of sufficient standard for admission when they are accepted at places like Cambridge or LSE, seeing as all universities are given the same resources about a candidate.

Also, as I mentioned before, they have an idea if you applied before Oct 15th.
It's all to do with the opinion of the admissions tutor. You might be deemed of sufficient standard for Oxbridge, but a UCL tutor may not think you are suitable for your course. They may have an idea, yes, but no proof or any way of finding out! So many people send their applications off early these days, Oxbridge or not.

In other words, an Oxbridge offer does not (spite aside) automatically give you a right to an offer from every other university. It doesn't work like that.
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is such utter nonsense, I cannot believe people would believe such manure, makes me think you are not really apt candidates for UCL or Oxbridge

Many people I know at oxbridge got into UCL

This pernicious rumour is simply not true
Dragonkiller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"Many people I know at oxbridge got into UCL"

Yes, that proves a lot...
:rolleyes:
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dragonkiller)
"Many people I know at oxbridge got into UCL"

Yes, that proves a lot...
:rolleyes:
Anecdotal evidence beats a stupid childish conspiracy of pissed of rejectees.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
Anecdotal evidence beats a stupid childish conspiracy of pissed of rejectees.
I was rejected early from UCL last year, but I'm not sour or anything because I want to do a different course now. So you can count that out as a factor in my argument.

Basically, I think the argument against, ie UCL aren't more likely to reject you if you apply to Oxbridge, is quite weak. There are no hard facts at all, only guessing on what admissions tutors think. The argument for is also quite weak, but all these people getting rejected from UCL and getting into LSE with exceptional grades....it's hard to explain - and I don't think anyone has given a decent explanation apart from admissions' tutors opinions. I'm sorry, but if someone has 13A*s, predicted 5As and gets and offer from LSE, I just cannot see any other reason an admissions tutor would reject them, I really can't.

We're all second guessing the admissions tutors so no one can be sure if they're right or wrong, we just seriously need some statistics!
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was rejected early from UCL last year, but I'm not sour or anything because I want to do a different course now. So you can count that out as a factor in my argument.

Basically, I think the argument against, ie UCL aren't more likely to reject you if you apply to Oxbridge, is quite weak. There are no hard facts at all, only guessing on what admissions tutors think. The argument for is also quite weak, but all these people getting rejected from UCL and getting into LSE with exceptional grades....it's hard to explain - and I don't think anyone has given a decent explanation apart from admissions' tutors opinions. I'm sorry, but if someone has 13A*s, predicted 5As and gets and offer from LSE, I just cannot see any other reason an admissions tutor would reject them, I really can't.

We're all second guessing the admissions tutors so no one can be sure if they're right or wrong, we just seriously need some statistics!
It really isn't hard to explain, much of the UCAS system is chance, I was told admissions tutors spend less than a minute on each application. One persons quick analysis of a PS may be completely different from anothers, factor in differences in the course and it is not surprising that people get accepted one place and rejected another.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
It really isn't hard to explain, much of the UCAS system is chance, I was told admissions tutors spend less than a minute on each application. One persons quick analysis of a PS may be completely different from anothers, factor in differences in the course and it is not surprising that people get accepted one place and rejected another.
This is the thing though, "you were told". You don't know for sure, and neither do I. So one can't strongly say, "this is not true at all", but, one can speculate, which is what I'm doing.
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is the thing though, "you were told". You don't know for sure, and neither do I. So one can't strongly say, "this is not true at all", but, one can speculate, which is what I'm doing.
I'm almost certain since the guy was a professional giving advice on UCAS the admissions system and PS writing. Rather than annoyed people who think there 4As give them access to any university in the land.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
I'm almost certain since the guy was a professional giving advice on UCAS the admissions system and PS writing. Rather than annoyed people who think there 4As give them access to any university in the land.
But you're not 100% certain, so it's not a fact. Also, even if he was a professional, he wasn't a UCL admissions tutor, and even if he was, do you think he'd ever admit it if it was true? However, people with amazing grades getting offers from LSE/Oxbridge and not UCL - that's a fact you can't contest.

Also, just for the record, I'm not an annoyed person who thinks 4As is enough to give me access to any university so please don't use that as an argument against me.
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But you're not 100% certain, so it's not a fact. Also, even if he was a professional, he wasn't a UCL admissions tutor, and even if he was, do you think he'd ever admit it if it was true? However, people with amazing grades getting offers from LSE/Oxbridge and not UCL - that's a fact you can't contest.

Also, just for the record, I'm not an annoyed person who thinks 4As is enough to give me access to any university so please don't use that as an argument against me.
I didn't, you aren't the sole proponent of the argument, plus I don't know your thoughts.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
I didn't, you aren't the sole proponent of the argument, plus I don't know your thoughts.
Oh ok, fair enough.

I just don't think anyone can say "this claim is ridiculous", because there's no evidence to say it's ridiculous, and I think there are good reasons why people can speculate on it.
Dragonkiller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know for a fact admission tutors don't spend 'less than a minute' on each application.

I don't understand how some people can deny this. If someone has 13A* and 5As, their personal statement really can't be that bad (or missing 'what they are looking for') especially if they can get into LSE but get rejected by UCL.

There has to be another reason...
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dragonkiller)
I know for a fact
How?
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ratsr)
Unis don't see who else you've applied to-- but how does oxbridge know if you've applied to the other
You just can't apply for Cam/Ox for undergrad at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads