I think I might have to drop out :( Help please... Watch

Mush
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Blue Rose)
I take it you weren't born in Scotland because aren't tuition fees free for scottish folk?
Hrm. I think he is Scottish. Smiler says he's 200 miles from home. 200 miles from Aberdeen, in a southernly direction leads you to Dumfries, etc... which is still in Scotland.
dd1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
OP. I might just be repeating things that others have said, but...

Your parents/guardians don't need to support you. They're adults, earning their own money, and you're an adult too. You shouldn't have to be taking money off mummy and/or daddy to get you through.
Yes, it's a shame that parental income is taken into account, but assuming you budget well and don't waste money, surviving on lower loans is entirely possible. Looking at the amount you've spent so far, it seems that your budget is ridiculous. It's your own fault if you've spent that much money in first year, and not planned ahead.
Thousands; in fact, millions of students manage to hold down a job alongside their studies, too; provided you manage your time properly that shouldn't be a problem at all. In fact, if you're spending your free time working, it'll help by stopping those chances you seem to have to spend thousands of pounds.
I apologise if this post sounds harsh, but it does annoy me that so many people expect their parents to fund them into adulthood and complain at the notion that they may actually have to budget or work for themselves.
You clearly have not read my subsequent posts. As I have said, in first year I planned to stay in self catered accommodation for £60 odd quid per week, however, due to an accommodation crisis in Aberdeen I was placed in catered accommodation which was over £100 per week..

Accommodation in Aberdeen is very expensive, and it got to the stage where I had to simply take what was available, there are literally too many students and too few houses, people had to take what was available.

As for taking money from my parents, the SAAS are very clear about this, it's written into law, it actually says they have an obligation to help.

The government's view is that I'm still a child whilst at university, and I am untill the age of 25, and whether you agree with that is not the point, the point is that my finances are being severely punished because of this, and there's no-way to get around this.

If you think I'm an adult then why are my parents being dragged into this...I should decide fo my self how much loan I need, but of course, I cannot do that.

Also, this is nothiing to do with tuition fees, the government pay for that, this is to do with living costs.
Mush
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dd1989)
You clearly have not read my subsequent posts. As I have said, in first year I planned to stay in self catered accommodation for £60 odd quid per week, however, due to an accommodation crisis in Aberdeen I was placed in catered accommodation which was over £100 per week..

Accommodation in Aberdeen is very expensive, and it got to the stage where I had to simply take what was available, there are literally too many students and too few houses, people had to take what was available.

As for taking money from my parents, the SAAS are very clear about this, it's written into law, it actually says they have an obligation to help.

The government's view is that I'm still a child whilst at university, and I am untill the age of 25, and whether you agree with that is not the point, the point is that my finances are being severely punished because of this, and there's no-way to get around this.

If you think I'm an adult then why are my parents being dragged into this...I should decide fo my self how much loan I need, but of course, I cannot do that.

Also, this is nothiing to do with tuition fees, the government pay for that, this is to do with living costs.
So what's your problem then? Your parents can't refuse, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Whilst mine can't actually afford it.
dd1989
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My parents can't afford it either.

My step dad pays all the bills, the mortgage, keeps a car running and maintanance for three children who live with their mum, his ~32k income doesn't go that far.

As for my mum, she earns less than £4000 per year, and that's full time.

As for them not having a leg to stand on, my mum has told me the moment I try and force them into giving me money she will kick me out the house.
Mush
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

My step dad pays all the bills, the mortgage, keeps a car running and maintanance for three children who live with their mum, his ~32k income doesn't go that far.

As for them not having a leg to stand on, my mum has told me the moment I try and force them into giving me money she will kick me out the house.
Well it looks like the two of us have very little options. I'm alright 'cause I live in the city in which I study, I don't know how you're going to afford to keep living in accommodation though. I suggest you just keep fighting SAAS.
jus2sik
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Im curious, how did it all end up for you?
dd1989
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by jus2sik)
Im curious, how did it all end up for you?
£3000 in to my overdraft after 4 years. Worked a lot. Still owe Unite £700.
jus2sik
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
thats good atleast you made it through
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads