What is the IB grade required for Oxbridge/Ivy League Universities? Watch

shinhans31
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I applied for an open application and interviewed in Hertford.
(Original post by lcc)
/gasp/ im not the only one!! i had four hls though so i had a bit of leeway...
i think cambridge generally gives higher offers. i have a friend who got a 43 offer for economics this year (which is just cruel, as she was 'only' predicted 42). as far as i know oxford rarely gives 777 offers - we were just unlucky i guess.
sorry about the missed offer. out of curiosity, which college did you apply to? have you contacted them to ask whether they could still reconsider?
shinhans31
Report 10 years ago
Why? are u thinking to apply in the following year?
For which course?
Offer for other courses, say PPE, won't be that high compared to oversubscribed courses such as EM, Law and Medicine.
(Original post by meeper)
Merci!

Finished this year with 41 and 777 in HL, including history. So hopefully I should have a chance!
Danomind
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Whats STEP?
shinhans31
Report 10 years ago
My insurance is crap
so I decided to take a gap year or so if I failed to get in there.

My headmaster phoned them last night and they said they'd wait till A-level results day. I already request for a re-mark for some subjects.
So... all I need to do is just to keep my fingers crossed. :yep:

(Original post by jay8)
Oh no I'm really sorry Did you get your insurance?
meeper
Badges: 4
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shinhans31)
Why? are u thinking to apply in the following year?
For which course?
Offer for other courses, say PPE, won't be that high compared to oversubscribed courses such as EM, Law and Medicine.
History and Economics at Oxford for entry in 2009.
jay8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You seriously think PPE isn't oversubscribed at Oxford? Over the last 3 years, 20.1% of applications were successful. That's only slightly more than the courses you call 'oversubscribed'. Plus, straight Law (not with Law studies in Europe) actually has a higher success rate than PPE. It's one of Oxford's most popular courses.
shinhans31
Report 10 years ago
No!!! PPE is certainly oversubscribed!
What I wanted to say was, it is rather less oversubscribed when compared to EM.
For EM, only about 10.3% of applications were successful last year.

(Original post by jay8)
You seriously think PPE isn't oversubscribed at Oxford? Over the last 3 years, 20.1% of applications were successful. That's only slightly more than the courses you call 'oversubscribed'. Plus, straight Law (not with Law studies in Europe) actually has a higher success rate than PPE. It's one of Oxford's most popular courses.
NJHL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by johannski)
You're all confusing me now:p: I'm trying to decide whether to apply for Cambridge (english) or Oxford (english and modern language) and every other comment trashes each school respectively :rolleyes:
I had to make a decision too but it wasn't SO difficult because I don't want to do the whole modern languages thing. Also, Cambridge struck me as much, much nicer.
johannski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NJHL)
I had to make a decision too but it wasn't SO difficult because I don't want to do the whole modern languages thing. Also, Cambridge struck me as much, much nicer.
Yeah, that's basically what made me decide for Cambridge too I'm not even nearly as good in French as I think I'd need to be for English/Modern and tbh, Cambridge appeals to me much more. Are you applying to Cam now then? College?
NJHL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by johannski)
Yeah, that's basically what made me decide for Cambridge too I'm not even nearly as good in French as I think I'd need to be for English/Modern and tbh, Cambridge appeals to me much more. Are you applying to Cam now then? College?
Yeah I am- I will be applying to Trinity but that's highly unlikely as I'm also applying for a choral scholarship (I'm so thick...) so probably elsewhere.

What about you? Best of luck with it all...
johannski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NJHL)
Yeah I am- I will be applying to Trinity but that's highly unlikely as I'm also applying for a choral scholarship (I'm so thick...) so probably elsewhere.

No way? I thought about Trinity but I'm prob going for Trinity Hall, Pembroke or Selwyn (prob Trnity Hall though). Well, good luck to you too and hope to see you there
NJHL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was just awe struck my Trinity- the Wren Library, the buildings. Wow...but then the choir is AMAZING so I won't get in on that count, and as the college itself is so amazing I don't doubt a swift rejection. Pembroke is LOVELY though! I visited it and the interior was just gorgeous.
shinhans31
Report 10 years ago
What's ur IB score?
As far as I know, If you want to apply for a scholarship, you will need to have a very strong academics.

(Original post by NJHL)

jay8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's ur IB score?
As far as I know, If you want to apply for a scholarship, you will need to have a very strong academics.
Well no, as he said a choral scholarship. Your singing has to be good! But to apply to Cambridge at all you need strong academics!
vadox6466
Report 10 years ago
damn, sucks for you guys with score requirements. I got into harvard with a predicted 43. Then, I met an admissions officer and he told me that final IB marks aren't worth a damn. So, I didn't study at ALL... and yet managed to pull a 35 out of my ass :confused: I was worried about not getting the diploma after I wrote the exams, actually.. i think that if you fail to get it harvard puts out on "academic probation" where you need a certain GPA.

*shrugs*
shinhans31
Report 10 years ago
Well, did you phone to the admission officer after the exam?

(Original post by vadox6466)
damn, sucks for you guys with score requirements. I got into harvard with a predicted 43. Then, I met an admissions officer and he told me that final IB marks aren't worth a damn. So, I didn't study at ALL... and yet managed to pull a 35 out of my ass :confused: I was worried about not getting the diploma after I wrote the exams, actually.. i think that if you fail to get it harvard puts out on "academic probation" where you need a certain GPA.

*shrugs*
SunderX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vadox6466)

*shrugs*
I hate how American universities work like this, since half the time predicted scores are worth jack; it doesn't seem right that you can get into university based upon biased guestimations from your teachers.

High IB scores are worth a little bit though. Most unis will accept a 6 or 7 as extra credit towards certain courses or allow you to skip others altogether, much like AP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (278)
37.93%
No - but I will (53)
7.23%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (349)
47.61%

Watched Threads