money for uni Watch

TheLouisVuittonDon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
imo you can't even understand the value of money (and appreciate it) until you are working, so for me having a job is must despite the fact that i already have money saved up.. i have about £10,000 at the moment in gold which should increase in value by the time i go to university.
GR29KHS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by princess_sue)
your right OP, it is common sense. Not to save, imo, is just plain ridiculous.
I see where you're coming from but what if someone cannot save?

I went to boarding school up to and including 6th form. Because I was at school on Saturdays and had compulsory activities on some Sundays no employer would take me on. No one in my family (parents/grandparents) could afford to put money towards my education. I managed to get work in the summer before Uni but that was only because it was within bus travelling distance of both my parents' and Uni. All of my pay from it went on my tuition fees.

I think that your comment just isn't fair.

Edit: and before anyone comments on it, I went to boarding school complements of an MOD allowance and bursaries so my parents aren't rich.
Ribbits
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by princess_sue)
your right OP, it is common sense. Not to save if you are in the position to, imo, is just plain ridiculous.
Fixed it for you GR29KHS.

I am saving as much as possible, I don't want to get a job in the term time when I will be living and studying. However, my parents also have this crazy idea that I must not get any loans. They hate debt and back in their day university was so much simpler - you could get scholarships that covered everything if you were chosen, apparently. So the idea of getting into thousands of pounds of debt is novel to them.
I will hopefully have enough for the first year saved up by September including government and university grants, if I can secure student residence. Maybe I will also be able get a small scholarship of £500 a year... After that, when the cost of living as a student in private accommodation in London rises to £15-16k a year (so £18-19 total with tuition, or so says a leaflet)... Well, I'll see when it gets closer to the time. I might even get a loan for the first year as well and just not use it, save it for the next. If my parents will let me..

The fact that I don't drink, smoke, waste money on too many clothes/make-up/accessories or ridiculous mobile phone contracts will probably help.
Going out without spending much, in London, is what I do.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks Ribbits
Jimlon0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have about 11 grand saved and still have a year to go.

And yeah most of my friends have barely anything. In fact one of my friends who has a job overdraws from his account regularly and several have no job and jsut live off the money their parents throw at them.

Does anyone else get pissed off at friends who just live off their parents? I know its their decision and if they can afford then why not, but i still get this sense that it is just so unfair that their parents aren't making them work for money.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think there's merit in trying to get through financially by yourself.

I thought about it when I saw your message and put myself in the parents position. If I could afford to do it I'd probably want to help them. I don't think most parents would want to see their child struggling financially.

At the end of the day I learnt valuable lessons about money at Uni. But I know my parents would really have loved to have helped more financially if they could.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Come to think of it though, if my parents could have helped more, they would only have done it on the proviso that I got a job too...
Jimlon0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with you entirely, it's just i think that a line should be drawn between helping out and just letting your child mooch off you. I mean some of my friends are 17 and dnt have any kind of income except their parents, nd its not like their parents are exactly swimming in money.
uk-education-blog
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
It seems sensible to save for uni but one way or another, the money gets spent! I mean just take out a student loan or if your parents can afford it, ask them for an interest free loan!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (62)
37.58%
No - but I will (6)
3.64%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (87)
52.73%

Watched Threads