Report 10 years ago
Yay - that's excellent news!
lcc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Donald Duck)
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE, I WENT TO TALK TO THEM AND THEY LET ME IN!!!!!!!!!

ps, for everyone in a similar situation, I think it helps if your headmaster calls them.
well done!! thats fantastic. woo, oxford!
RedBull90
Report 10 years ago
Hey, I sympathize with all of you. I had an offer for City: Cass for 35 points, minimum 5 points in each class and only 1 bonus point considered. I was predicted 36, but I got a 32 to my own surprise. We didn't really have mocks at my school but I was predicted 36. I contacted the admissions director at City through email as I am in a completely different time zone and would have to call in the middle of the night to compensate for time difference.
She responded to my email asking me to send my results. I did so and she said I regret to inform you we can not accept you. If you had a 33 with two bonus points, maybe.. 33 with 2 bonus points is a 35 though. I sort of had the impression that she isn't too familiar with the IB. She didn't even have me wait until A-level results came out, which I was pretty upset about. I really did not see this coming. Any advice? Should I have my school director call them? I realllllly want to study in London at City and I dont know what to do :confused:
catacatalina
Report 10 years ago
I had an offer of 33 points, I got 31.
Today I checked UCAS and I GOT IN!!!!
....so there is a chance to get in if you missed your offer!!!

good luck to everyone!
Sigma44
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I missed my overall points requirement by 2 points but met the individual requirements. After mailing the uni, they ask my school to send them my results. On the next day, the professor emailed me saying they accepted me
Orleansck
Report 10 years ago
yeah i missed my offer for my insurance in UCL its 34 and i have 31, now probably ill go for clearing while my predicted was 39 without bonus
Miziara
Report 10 years ago
Congratulations Donald Duck

Which course did you apply to study and at which Oxford College ?

I have a very similar challenge that you guys might be able to help me with so that we can eventually abolish this undervaluing of the IB by top UK universities that discriminates heavily against and disadvantages us.

I got an offer from an Oxford College to study Chemistry, 40 points including bonus point with HL 7 s in both Chemistry & Maths. I got the 40 points with an HL Chemistry 7 and an HL 6 in Maths. The College have said that they have considered all aspects of my application and that their offer must stand. They are not agreeing to let me in despite representations from my college.

Do I have a chance of getting in ?

What else I should / can be doing at the moment to help them change their minds ?

Any ideas what the timescale might be if they are going to change their minds ?

They made 10 offers, 9 were A Level students and I was the only IB candidate. If they made 10 offers did they have 10 places to offer or were they banking on some people missing the grades they asked for ?

If the College stick to their guns and don't let me in, is there any chance of getting into another college at Oxford to study Chemistry through some kind of internal clearing system ?

If there is an "Internal Clearing / Pooling system what is the procedure for getting myself in it as soon as possible ?

Should I make an appeal through the central admissions department at Oxford so that they might request that the College I applied to reconsider my application ?

Are there any reports on equivalence of qualifications (between the IB and A Levels) that I can use to support my case on the basis that an HL 7 in maths is much harder to achieve than an A in maths at A Level ? Any links or contact names & details that could help would be much appreciated
saved9901
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Miziara)
Congratulations Donald Duck

Which course did you apply to study and at which Oxford College ?

I have a very similar challenge that you guys might be able to help me with so that we can eventually abolish this undervaluing of the IB by top UK universities that discriminates heavily against and disadvantages us.

I got an offer from an Oxford College to study Chemistry, 40 points including bonus point with HL 7 s in both Chemistry & Maths. I got the 40 points with an HL Chemistry 7 and an HL 6 in Maths. The College have said that they have considered all aspects of my application and that their offer must stand. They are not agreeing to let me in despite representations from my college.

Do I have a chance of getting in ?

What else I should / can be doing at the moment to help them change their minds ?

Any ideas what the timescale might be if they are going to change their minds ?

They made 10 offers, 9 were A Level students and I was the only IB candidate. If they made 10 offers did they have 10 places to offer or were they banking on some people missing the grades they asked for ?

If the College stick to their guns and don't let me in, is there any chance of getting into another college at Oxford to study Chemistry through some kind of internal clearing system ?

If there is an "Internal Clearing / Pooling system what is the procedure for getting myself in it as soon as possible ?

Should I make an appeal through the central admissions department at Oxford so that they might request that the College I applied to reconsider my application ?

Are there any reports on equivalence of qualifications (between the IB and A Levels) that I can use to support my case on the basis that an HL 7 in maths is much harder to achieve than an A in maths at A Level ? Any links or contact names & details that could help would be much appreciated
http://www.sevenoaksschool.org/doc_d...s_Dec_2006.pdf

With regard to your last paragraph, the section on HL Maths in that report should support your case. I'm so sorry about your situation, but I don't think the undervaluing of the IB by top UK universities will end any time soon - that's because it's a way to prevent too many better qualified international applicants from gaining places at the expense of those at home.
Miziara
Report 10 years ago
Hi saved9901

Thanks for your consideration and assistance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise