Horse Riding - does it do much for fitness?? Watch

Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xJessx)
I ride and I can say it's made my legs more muscly and my thighs bigger but it's muscle not fat. And you do do alot of the work actually, it also depends on what type of horse you ride. If you think controlling a 1200lb animal is easy Misogynist, then why don't you try it?
It's not like you're squatting or deadlifting the whole thing and moving it with your own strength. You just guide it and sit on top of it.

Anyways, The debate is over. The conclusion is it does SOMETHING but not much and if you're looking to be fit, it isn't exactly what you'd want to do.
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
It's not like you're squatting or deadlifting the whole thing and moving it with your own strength. You just guide it and sit on top of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu2U8H_3Alc

Does she look like se's just sitting on top of it and not using any strength?
Schmokie Dragon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you never seen the size of the muscles in a horses neck? My little git of a mare gives me a massive work out just bringing her in from the field. She swerves and plunges and it takes every freaking muscle in my body to hold her back. When I get on her, we have another dispute and she plunges some more and skids sideways. It takes a huge level of strength to keep her head in the right position and to keep her focused with my legs. When she is being naughty she gives me as much of a work out as if I was in the gym with the bumbbells, and my legs feel as though I have been having crazy, mad, lusty sex for hours.

Sure, you 'just' guide it and sit on top of it, but do not ever underestimate how much effort that can take. I'd challenge you to ride my mare if I trusted her not to try and kill you.
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you're underestimating the strength required to 'guide' it. It's not just about using a whip to make it go forwards. You have to subtly manipulate your leg movements depending on what direction you want to go in, maintain a correct position for hours, hold yourself out of the saddle for fast paces, restrain the horse (by the way a horse's head can way up to 15st) not to mention the cardio workout you get if the horse bolts lol. And why do people think they have the right to stamp their feet and single-handedly end a debate? Horse-riding is physically demanding, not everyone agrees with your 'conclusion'. There's a difference between sitting on a horse and riding it.
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it does require a fair amount of core strength and stability to be fair
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Horse riding is fairly good exercise, but one thing that I've learnt is that compared to mucking out stables, it's a walk in the park.
Aconite
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But - but - but it's not an inanimate object which just glides forward. Riding a horse isn't like driving a car or something which goes of its own accord. You expend a lot of energy in the 'guiding' part, believe me!
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu2U8H_3Alc

Does she look like se's just sitting on top of it and not using any strength?
From a brief look, I'd have to say yes. This is coming from someone who has ridden. It just doesn't look like hard work, even if it might be. I can entirely understand why someone who hasn't ridden a horse would thing it a fairly effortless form of exercise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (278)
38.03%
No - but I will (53)
7.25%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (347)
47.47%

Watched Threads