The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
school reports are always like this, its prob cos most teachers have 3 templates, one for really good kids, 1 for average kids, and 1 for the naughty kids. they give it to everyone and add maybe 1 or 2 sentences if they feel the need.

i had a report once where about 3 different names were used, none of which were mine! and another where i got same report 2 yrs in a row, word for word!
I hate it when teachers complain that they're under stress having to write loads of reports, especially when all the teacher's I've had have spent about no more than 5 minutes on an individual report, either copying and pasting appropriate lines for certain students or using the identical report for every single student but inputting a different name each time (this happened probably 75% of the time). Also there are some teachers who show in reports that they dont even know who you are. I once got a report from biology saying how I was helping out a new student who was sitting next to me, but I didnt sit next the new student at all- I didnt even know them! Like another poster said, we used to have teachers at my school who would give the whole class the exact same level for attendance and attainment just to be fair, some teachers would never give 'excellent' to anyone and other teachers would give kids who skived off everyday full marks for attendance. To be fair, the grammar and spelling was always correct, although I wouldnt expect any less from someone in that type of profession. Its inexcusable for proper grammatical and spelling mistakes to occur, unless they are obviously typos, especially as the reports are menat to be proofread by other teachers and, often, school secretaries too.
Reply 62
Lord Hysteria
I would say here "bring back grammar school" :p:

Agreed. Although I can't see my grammar school being closed down, its too big and all the parents took a minor huff and signed a petition.
I've never mentioned any spelling mistakes in my school reports, but I bet good money they'll be a few pretty stupid ones in the many that I have acquired over the years. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that teachers will be working on reports until about 3am every night for about a week or more. Although I think it's a good idea to mark the spelling and grammatical errors and send it back to the teacher with "EPIC FAIL" on the front. :p:
Reply 64
I am a teacher, and will now give my view on the subject. As an English teacher, I tend to have one or two sets of year reports to write, which isn't too bad (so every six weeks or so, I will have 50 or so to write).

There are other staff who this will be different for; music teachers, for example, would have the whole of year 9 reports to write at one time (so they would have around 180 to write). As you may be able to appreciate, time to write this many reports (and NO, it does NOT take five minutes...we wish...levels, targets etc etc) as well as the general workload of a teacher is bloody well hard. Note that I am not stating that mistakes are acceptable-but there is some reason for these happening. Generally the errors are exactly that rather than teachers possessing inadequate grammatical skills-some teachers have far too little time to make all 200 of them personalised and proofread...and then the NEXT load a couple of weeks later.

As you are all aware, most teachers are form tutors-meaning that, come time for our tutor group's reports, we have to proofread each student's two copies of each subject's report...times 30. We also need to cut them and then write our own comment, then write their CPHSE, and of course cut and proofread these. A lot to do- I was up until 4am each night because, along with the planning, marking, targets, detention etc etc to do-there just isn't enough time!

I am not looking to get into a petty argument here; I wanted to put across the reality of our job to the TSR forum. Of course, mistakes aren't great to see-I agree when I weed out the errors in my form's reports (which WE have to then correct ourselves...), but there is some justified explanation for this.

Latest

Trending

Trending