Tax Watch

This discussion is closed.
her0n
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unknownking321)
I'd be very grateful if someone could please help me with my situation. Currently, I am a university student and my previous paid work includes:
Leaving date: 03/2005
Pay to date: £1000 approx
Tax to date: 0

Now recently, I did some temp work for a couple of days (just received my P45):
Leaving date: 09/2008
Pay to date: £90 approx
Tax to date: £16 approx

Am I correct in saying that I am entitled to this £16? If so, how would I go about getting this back?

Thanks in advance.
The work you did in 2005 has no bearing on the 2008/9 tax year, so ignore that.

You should be able to claim that tax back but it's easiest to sort out once April comes around, as you will know for sure then how much you have earnt, in relation to the personal allowance. I'm pretty sure tax claims have been covered in this thread already though. R40 form I believe. Titch89 seems to be the wise one here
Orthala
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeh thats correct. Google for the form.
Acacia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FunnyBunny21)
I was pretty confused bout this too. try this info: http://flisolo.com/money/tax-students-explained
That's definitly the most useful link!
Thanks!
Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The forms to claim back tax and the one for the bank to stop taxing your savings can be found on www.hmrc.gov.uk
Slonina
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Titch89)
You need to fill in an R85 form - www.hmrc.co.uk
Yes, I went for that one today with the Bank but they said a NIN number is also required. Any students from EU who already did it and could advise how to obtain NIN number as a EU student on a full time course in UK?
Probably I need the NIN also for my SLC loan records?
rakata
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi..

I've just worked for 2 months, temp contract thing (with the Job Centre of all places!)

The first month I'm pretty sure they taxed me too much, but I'm not sure how to go about getting the money back as they haven't sent me a P45, and I've just started another job and don't want to get emergency taxed on that too. ugh

help??

edit: I'm pretty sure my tax code was BR for the first month, then it changed in the second one
Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been charged £22 in tax for the last two months - I'm 17 and only started working weekends this week. Can't be right?
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How much have you been earning?
Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
£5.85 an hour on sat and sunday (about £70-£80 a week), plus ema. Nothing major.
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Laaame. Whats your tax code?
Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know? Hahah, should I know :confused:

They deducted £17 last month, and £22 this month
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It should be on your payslips.

Either 603L, 603BR X or something.
OneAndOnly
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Right, im very very confused so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've just started Uni, been working since October last year full time until August of this year during my gap year. From April to August i've been paying tax, and was still under the threshold when i left the job to come to Uni. In total i've paid £532 tax this tax year. How do i claim this back? Several people have said photocopy your P45 and send it off with covering letter to tax office, but will they just send me forms to fill in which i may as well do first, or do i have to wait until April next year? I could really do with the money so if i can get it by writing a letter now rather than waiting until April that would be great.

thanks
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OneAndOnly)
Right, im very very confused so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've just started Uni, been working since October last year full time until August of this year during my gap year. From April to August i've been paying tax, and was still under the threshold when i left the job to come to Uni. In total i've paid £532 tax this tax year. How do i claim this back? Several people have said photocopy your P45 and send it off with covering letter to tax office, but will they just send me forms to fill in which i may as well do first, or do i have to wait until April next year? I could really do with the money so if i can get it by writing a letter now rather than waiting until April that would be great.

thanks
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r40.pdf
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wait until April, as you may work more and go over your personal allowance.
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I earnt around £3k last year through a part time job and have been told that I didn't earn enough for my earning to be taxed. How do I go about getting my tax back?

Thank you!
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Belle-x)
I earnt around £3k last year through a part time job and have been told that I didn't earn enough for my earning to be taxed. How do I go about getting my tax back?

Thank you!
Look 2 posts up...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r40.pdf
furry747
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Quick question, I started working in Argos 3 weeks ago, (part time temp, sat/sun) and I received a pay slip, of which £42.60 was deducted from me, for Income Tax. I didn't pay any NI.
As it is only a christmas temp job, should I claim it back ASAP, or wait until April to do a tax return?

My contract finishes on the 24th January, but it may go on longer if they decide to take me on further.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wait until April. You won't know what you'll earn from now until then.
furry747
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, thanks
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (190)
39.67%
No - but I will (28)
5.85%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.6%

Watched Threads