Why Can't I Get a Job, grrrr.... Watch

King4eva
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just take 20 pounds from your parents everyday by the end of the week thats 140 and they wouldnt know what hit them!!! by the time you start uni you would have a lot of money...i was goin to get a job i cant say i tried hard but i did try but hey i have almost given up
flipshot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It does seem to be alot harder this year and I didn't have much luck last year. More jobs seem to gradually be cropping up now around me and I'm planning on applying to all of them. I applied for Waitrose last week and have now just found my local Morrisons want people so I'm going to try their as well. Plus there is a new store I have noticed in my town centre opening soon although all I know is that its a stationary shop from what I could see from the window not sure which chain as they still had the old Music Zone sign up, but as soon as I know I plan on applying there.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
The thing is, I have a year until Uni, so that's enough time to prove I'm not leaving until then
Here you go! Linky! And football seasons are perfect for students with a year off - August 'til May!
AwesomelyPsycho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EskimoJo)
Here you go! Linky! And football seasons are perfect for students!
Thanks for the linky. I'll apply but it's gonna be extremely hard for me to get there. Stupid non-drivingness
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gyrase)
Sorry to burst ur bubble, but its not going to happen. Your locals would get 2 applicants per day and they would actually take a visit to mcdonalds to get the form/give the cv etc. Applying online gives a bad impression and your at a disadvantage.
Rubbish! (I think? :p:) If there's an online application facility, that's probably how they want you to apply! I've had people tell me (when I go in to hand a CV in) that I need to go online to get an application form or that applications are processed online now.

If people are getting blanked from their local stores after sending in CVs, check online and makes sure they don't expect you to provide an online application.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for the linky. I'll apply but it's gonna be extremely hard for me to get there. Stupid non-drivingness
You can get pretty much anywhere in London for a job as long as it's not early/peak time starts or late finishes which this job wouldn't be. Where do you live? West London I assume? Extending your potential network will give you a lot more opportunities though! Good luck!
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get pretty much anywhere in London for a job as long as it's not early/peak time starts or late finishes which this job wouldn't be. Where do you live? West London I assume? Extending your potential network will give you a lot more opportunities though! Good luck!
East London
I really wanted something locally but I guess I've pretty much proven that there's nowhere to get one.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
East London
I really wanted something locally but I guess I've pretty much proven that there's nowhere to get one.
You live in East London and you can't get to West Ham? I live in South East London and have applied for jobs from Hounslow to West Ham and Sevenoaks to Harlow and everything inbetween! :p: I really need/want a job.
thanette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Local call centres or catalogue delivering? Not great-but it's money!Have you tried the local papers for ads? Cleaning jobs you could pick up?
A Stranger in Moscow
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/arti...mentid=8793573
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You live in East London and you can't get to West Ham? I live in South East London and have applied for jobs from Hounslow to West Ham and Sevenoaks to Harlow and everything inbetween! :p: I really need/want a job.
It's not that I can't get there, it's just that it's difficult. I'm very... train-challenged

It's even more annoying that people around me applied to only a few places near to them and got a job within days. A friend of mine got a call back within 2 hours from Sainsburys.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're so lucky that you have a whole year of work! So many more options! like this?
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're so lucky that you have a whole year of work! So many more options! like this?
Applying for that as well! Although I'm pretty sure I won't get anything. You got anything else up your sleeve?
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm looking in London for myself and usually ignore permanent, but am keeping an eye out for you now! There's a lot more for you, I can't find anything for me!

Look everywhere! Honestly! Search shops, warehouses, offices, bank cashiers, cinemas, betting shops (18+?), fast food shops, restaurants, cleaning (???) ermm can't think of any else!
And even if you don't think you'll get the jobs, I hope you're not negative in your covering letter. If you don't have experience, say it, but don't stop there, add something positive for every negative, like 'but I'm a very quick learner'. Or, I don't live locally, but am willing to travel (hint, hint!)/am responsible/have excellent time management. Sell yourself mate!
And good luck again - I'll keep looking. (it's a full time job in itself!)
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Applying for that as well! Although I'm pretty sure I won't get anything. You got anything else up your sleeve?
Are you strong? :p: yes?
lizzierocks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i got a job straight away at a factory. ive been there for a week now.

it was the easiest thing i have ever done! its good cos my boss knows im going at the end of september and the pay isnt bad!

just go to factories, it's experience and its an honest days work! if you get a good one (like me, i pack percussion instruments) and a nice boss (like me), your days go really quickly and you enjoy the work! oh, and theyll employ you easily.
rouge234
Report 10 years ago
hey im going through the same stage!! i have given my cv everywhere ive seen a vacancy in my area.. bt hey wts d guarantee that they look at ur cv??
oh yer.. a new store is going to open 'laurashley' i av neva heard of it!!!! any idea wts it like?? good pay?? im thinkin to apply there nw.. they need a cover letter tooo!!! any suggestions?? thnx
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should have started earlier. I got a job when I turned 16 as a summer girl, and only left today. In fact, it was exactly two years ago today that I started working there, so it was two months before that I gave in my application. Stores recruit in summer when their normal staff transfer home from uni towns to home towns, or graduates leave to get real jobs. So by leaving it until July, you've made your search near enough impossible.

I'd wait until Christmas and hope for a temp job that you can maybe make permenant. Or maybe try again around Spetember when employees go to uni and leave their summer jobs.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lizzierocks)
i got a job straight away at a factory. ive been there for a week now.

it was the easiest thing i have ever done! its good cos my boss knows im going at the end of september and the pay isnt bad!

just go to factories, it's experience and its an honest days work! if you get a good one (like me, i pack percussion instruments) and a nice boss (like me), your days go really quickly and you enjoy the work! oh, and theyll employ you easily.
I don't even know factories when I see them! And I just searched factory jobs in London and didn't seem to get any good results! How did you find the job?
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rouge234)
hey im going through the same stage!! i have given my cv everywhere ive seen a vacancy in my area.. bt hey wts d guarantee that they look at ur cv??
oh yer.. a new store is going to open 'laurashley' i av neva heard of it!!!! any idea wts it like?? good pay?? im thinkin to apply there nw.. they need a cover letter tooo!!! any suggestions?? thnx
You've never heard of Laura Ashley? Ahh, you youngsters! It's like any other department store, just less popular than your Debenhams' and Marks and Spencers etc. and more expensive perhaps? Not sure! LauraAshley I'm not sure if they only sell woman's clothes! Google 'cover letter' and you'll get loads of advice and you can pick and choose the best examples based on your experience and position etc.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads